Question about Pedialyte

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by summerfun, Jun 12, 2008.

1. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Emilie woke up this morning with a fever. She asked for her milk (not sure why I gave it to her) and then of course she threw it up. We have some Pedialyte singles (unopened) left from the last sickness, but they expired in April 2008. Do you think they are okay to still give her today? Thanks. :)

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I have no idea Amy. I'm sorry she isn't feeling well. :hug99: Hopefully it will be short lived {like it was for us last week}

3. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

I would probably give it to my boys. I don't think it gets toxic and it is quite expensive. I stopped getting Pedialyte, now I just go with Gatorade.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(cwinslow7 @ Jun 12 2008, 09:05 AM) [snapback]822899[/snapback]
    I would probably give it to my boys. I don't think it gets toxic and it is quite expensive. I stopped getting Pedialyte, now I just go with Gatorade.

I'm not sure, but I would probably give it to her Amy. If it was expired by 6 months or more, maybe not. Maybe you could ask the ped to make sure? I also just give Gatorade now. I hope she feels better soon.

5. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

I would probably give it to her, too.

6. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

I would give it to her Amy. If you don't feel totally comfortable doing that, you can always alternate water and Gatorade with her. I'm sorry Caroline's not feeling well :hug99:

7. summerfun

Thank you ladies. I decided to give it to her, although she doesn't like it and keeps asking for her milk. She absolutley loves milk. I think I will get some Gatorade to keep on hand as I know they all like that. Thanks again. :)

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Amy, I'm sure the Pedialyte would be fine but, on the advice of a doctor several years ago when Tess was a baby, I give mine Gatorade mixed with water. He said to water it down about half & half because it's a bit strong for them by itself as it is formulated for adults. They drink it a lot better than the Pedialyte (which tastes terrible, have you ever tasted that stuff? :bad: ).

9. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

When Katelyn was hospitalized for dehydration last month due to rotavirus, the doctor had us push plain pedialyte mixed with apple juice at 50-50 concentration. He felt it was better than Gatorade. We had tried flavored pedialyte at home as well as Gatorade and she wouldn't take either. I had never seen the unflavored pedialyte before, but my mom found some at RiteAid for us before we brought her home from the hospital.

10. summerfun

QUOTE(tinalb @ Jun 12 2008, 01:25 PM) [snapback]823368[/snapback]
    Amy, I'm sure the Pedialyte would be fine but, on the advice of a doctor several years ago when Tess was a baby, I give mine Gatorade mixed with water. He said to water it down about half & half because it's a bit strong for them by itself as it is formulated for adults. They drink it a lot better than the Pedialyte (which tastes terrible, have you ever tasted that stuff? :bad: ).

I have tasted the Pedilyte, I tried it when Caroline was a baby and wouldn't drink it and then I knew why. :bad: I know all 3 of my kids like Gatorade.

QUOTE(Ange2k25 @ Jun 12 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]823434[/snapback]
    When Katelyn was hospitalized for dehydration last month due to rotavirus, the doctor had us push plain pedialyte mixed with apple juice at 50-50 concentration. He felt it was better than Gatorade. We had tried flavored pedialyte at home as well as Gatorade and she wouldn't take either. I had never seen the unflavored pedialyte before, but my mom found some at RiteAid for us before we brought her home from the hospital.

That is interesting. Thanks for the tip.

11. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

i give mine the G2 gatorade. it has less sugar in it and i water it down a bit like half and half. also i give the orange one nothing with too much color oh and don't give them the red one LOL.