Question about ruptured membranes in mono/di twins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by melstofko, Jul 30, 2008.

1. melstofko

melstofko Well-Known Member

I am having mono/di boys and I was wondering with this type of twins if your membranes rupture does it effect both babies? I know they each have their own sack inside of another single sack/placenta but when you talk about the rupture which sack do you mean? Sorry if this is dumb but I can't quite get my head around the concept.

2. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

Not dumb at all! I'm not sure I know the exact answer except to say that if one of your bags ruptured you would most likely go into labor and that would surely effect both. Also, if one bag ruptured you'd likely need to deliver in the next 24 hours and that would mean both babies. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer this better than I did.

3. kmacinnes2000

kmacinnes2000 Active Member

I beleive it is their indfividual sac that would rupture so the other one's sac would still be intact. A few weeks ago our Baby A had low fluid and they thought maybe her sac had ruptured, but it had no effect on her sister's sac. Hope that helps.

4. muscaria10

muscaria10 Well-Known Member

I don't even know what's mono/mono, di/di or mono/di all these while...talk about being dumb!?? Someone care to share?

5. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

Lets see mono/mono means that they share the same placenta as well as they are inside the same sac together. They are without a doubt identical and also the highest risk because they could get tangled in each others cords and also at a higher risk for TTTS.

Mono/di means that they share a placenta but are inside their own individual sac. (What I have) most likely they are identical but sometimes it could actually be two placentas that fused together and they can only tell for sure by looking at early sonograms or in my case looking at the placenta after the babies are born, if they still can't tell DNA testing might be the way to go. These babies are also at risk for TTTS.

Di/di means that they have their own placenta and are inside their own sacs. They aren not identical. If you are having a boy and a girl they are this type of twin, except for VERY unusual cases (I read about this the day before yesterday on here about identicals that the sex chromosome didn't split right so the girl would have some sort of syndrome, but don't worry about that.) These twins have the lowest risk for TTTS.

I hope this helped clarify it. It took me a couple of weeks to get it and when I joined someone posted a link to some good pictures and diagrams about how it all breaks down.

6. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that di/di can be either fraternal or identical. For identical twins, it depends on when they split. If they split early after conception, they are di/di, late they are mono/mono and in between they are mono/di. Also, all mono/di are identical twins. Mono/di twins share a placenta and have a very thin membrane between them (sometimes so thin that it is hard for the doctors to see it). If two placentas have fused together, it can be difficult to tell if they are mono/di or di/di until they are born, but they are di/di. Also, a well trained doctor should be able to tell between mono/di and di/di by the dividing membrane if the u/s is early enough.

Here is a diagram that should help.
    http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/PLACHTML/PLAC101.html

7. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marisa55 @ Aug 1 2008, 07:55 AM) [snapback]907990[/snapback]
    Just wanted to add that di/di can be either fraternal or identical. For identical twins, it depends on when they split. If they split early after conception, they are di/di, late they are mono/mono and in between they are mono/di. Also, all mono/di are identical twins. Mono/di twins share a placenta and have a very thin membrane between them (sometimes so thin that it is hard for the doctors to see it). If two placentas have fused together, it can be difficult to tell if they are mono/di or di/di until they are born, but they are di/di. Also, a well trained doctor should be able to tell between mono/di and di/di by the dividing membrane if the u/s is early enough.

Here is a diagram that should help.
    http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/PLACHTML/PLAC101.html

Thanks for the extra clarification! Unfortunately my first ultrasound wasn't until 11 weeks and I moved and had to change drs so he can't be for sure if they are mono/di or di/di, just that "it looks like they share a placenta" o_O
    The suspense is killing me! It be much easier to tell if they were a boy ang girl like we hoped, but it looks like a couple of boys. Oh well, just a few more months til we're sure and I don't want to rush it since this might be my last pregnancy.

8. muscaria10

muscaria10 Well-Known Member

So if I have fraternal twins, one boy and one girl, in diff sacs, I'm having a di/di?

9. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kimani @ Aug 1 2008, 06:45 AM) [snapback]907979[/snapback]
    Lets see mono/mono means that they share the same placenta as well as they are inside the same sac together. They are without a doubt identical and also the highest risk because they could get tangled in each others cords and also at a higher risk for TTTS.

Mono/di means that they share a placenta but are inside their own individual sac. (What I have) most likely they are identical but sometimes it could actually be two placentas that fused together and they can only tell for sure by looking at early sonograms or in my case looking at the placenta after the babies are born, if they still can't tell DNA testing might be the way to go. These babies are also at risk for TTTS.

Di/di means that they have their own placenta and are inside their own sacs. They aren not identical. If you are having a boy and a girl they are this type of twin, except for VERY unusual cases (I read about this the day before yesterday on here about identicals that the sex chromosome didn't split right so the girl would have some sort of syndrome, but don't worry about that.) These twins have the lowest risk for TTTS.

I hope this helped clarify it. It took me a couple of weeks to get it and when I joined someone posted a link to some good pictures and diagrams about how it all breaks down.

One other clarification regarding TTTS. It is much more rare with mo/mo than with di/mo (who are are highest risk for ttts)

10. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

QUOTE(muscaria10 @ Aug 1 2008, 11:41 AM) [snapback]908404[/snapback]
    So if I have fraternal twins, one boy and one girl, in diff sacs, I'm having a di/di?

Correct!

11. hardinfamily08

hardinfamily08 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kimani @ Aug 1 2008, 04:45 AM) [snapback]907979[/snapback]

Just to give alittle more info. With Momos you dont have a higher risk in having TTS, but a harder time diagnosing it. TTS is more common with Mono-Di twins, than with Mo-Mo twins. But there are cases of TTS with Momos too.