question for dr browns users....

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Sisrea, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

I have a quick question. We have been giving our girls 7oz bottles currently (we mix both bottles 7 scoops/14oz water then poor off) and i want to increase the nighttime bottle, but i dont know how others do it. I know that there is that "do not fill above" line on the bottles, so do you just make more after then have drank the bottle and then give them the rest after or do you just go ahead and fill over the "line"

TIA!!

2. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

the dr. brown bottles i had would hold 8.5 oz, that was where the "do not fill above line" was. i never filled over it, and DD would never drink more than that. you could do a test run with overfilling and see what happens, it think it causes leakage problems but i'm not positive.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I watch a little boy who uses Dr. Brown's and I fill them above the top line. They don't leak!

4. timba09

timba09 Well-Known Member

We use the 4 oz. Dr. Brown's bottles and have never tried to fill above the line. Our babies take anywhere from 4-6 oz. per feed. Since we make 28 oz of formula at one time and keep it in a storage container in the fridge, we just pour out another ounce or two when the babies want more. We're getting ready to buy the larger bottles soon, but in the meantime, we don't mind the extra step. You might just try filling above the line and see what happens. Worst case senario is it leaks. :)

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with giving it a try. I used Dr Brown's briefly, but I never tried overfilling them. I imagine it would be fine, though.

6. Magpie76

Magpie76 Well-Known Member

We overfill a bit. If you go too far they will leak. But an ounce or so should be ok. :)

7. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

We still use the 4 oz bottles for night feeds and I put in 4 oz of water and 2 scoops of formula...they've never leaked.

8. aimeemorgan1218

aimeemorgan1218 Well-Known Member

We are Dr. Brown's lovers, but I have to say they will leak if you go too far over the line. I filled the 4 oz bottle to 5 oz and it was a disaster. When I went to shake it.... not good! I had a mess. I imagine less than an oz would be okay.... but I don't advise too much over "the line."

9. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem when filling my Dr. B's with water to the 8 oz. line, then adding the four scoops - the formula is above the do not fill line, but I never had leaks with either of my two older children.

10. Love Love Love them but they will leak if you go over the line..

11. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

I tired it a few times. I haven't had any problem with them leaking so far but i do not mix the formula in the bottle which might effect it, we mix it in a pitcher and just pour in, so no shaking here. The formula goes right to the bottom of the words and so far we haven't had a problem thankfully, but the girls are just chilling back in the boppys drinking them.

12. MelinaS79

MelinaS79 Well-Known Member

We premix and fill as we go also, we don't mix in the bottles and I've put 8oz water + 4 scoops powder which makes close to 9oz and we've never had a problem. :)