Question for those of you using a Pack and Play as a bassinett.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Double Vision, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Double Vision

Double Vision Well-Known Member

We are using a pack and play as a bassinett for our twins to sleep in while in our room for the first few months. I have been looking a many different kinds and have decided against the twin pack and play because of the lack of features on it.

Is anyone using a pack and play for both babies? If so which one are you planning on using.
    THanks

2. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

I am borrowing one from a friend, I think its an eddie bauer one (not sure, its a couple years old, but hardly used). It has the change table part which may be handy as well but I don't know about any other features. Some have mobiles and things. I live in a split level house and the bedrooms are upstairs so I am going to use it during the day for them to sleep in while we are downstairs. Especially if I end up with a C-sections, stairs are going to be hard to manage. I'm sure you'll find the perfect one to fit your needs.

3. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Make sure the bassinet portion holds enough weight for the length of time you'd like to use it. You don't want to be bending all the way to the bottom of the pack n play a million times a night, especially if you have a c section. Most of the twin moms I know used a cosleeper (there's a particular brand or name, not sure off the top of my head what it is) or did like we did and set up one crib in the master bedroom. Good luck on your hunt!

4. Double Vision

This is the main issue I am finding that the bassinet part only goes up to 15-20lbs and my babies are already 6lbs each. I am looking for one that will hold more weight. I wonder if the cosleeper holds more than a pack and play? Anyone know?

I will continue my research and see what I find.

5. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

I think it's called the arms reach co-sleeper. We decided to go with 1 crib in our room because of the weight limitations with the pack and play. The cosleeper looks nice but again if we will need a crib anyway we decided to forgo the extra expense of the cosleeper and just start from the beginning with one crib. Good luck!

6. faustjena

faustjena Well-Known Member

The twin pack n play gets bad reviews so I didn't get it either.

We have one Graco (the best for setting up and durability) pack n play to use until they reach 15 lbs combined, and a friend gave me a single bassinet we will use when we want to split them up.

Graco makes a million models that start very reasonably. Also consider how much you will use it as a playpen when they are a little older and it justifies the price.

Good luck!

7. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

we used the Arms Reach Cosleeper until about 12 weeks...I don't remember the weight limits but I do remember we were under it.

edited to add:

I just looked it up and in the "cosleeping" position the weight limit is 30 bls...as a pack n play position it is 50 lbs.

8. teafor2

teafor2 Well-Known Member

We're using one of the fancy Graco playards (that comes with a changing table and a diaper product organizer) until they can roll over. We will not be using the bassinet, just putting both babies in the raised, infant portion of the PnP. We got a second, no frills Graco Playard for when its time to sleep them separately (we plan on using the PnP's as cribs for as long as possible).

9. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

I have the Arms Reach Co-sleeper and really like it...I also have a PNP and felt that the bassinet part on it was too flimsy...The Co-sleeper feels really solid, and does not move much like the bassinet on the PNP. We don't attach it to our bed though (I think that is against the "rules") so DH can get them out of bed easily if he needs to. We also use it for a changing station (although it can be hard on your back, because it is a little low!) They are both still sleeping the Co-sleeper and pretty soon we will move them out of it (they are getting so long they are going to start rubbing the hair off of their little heads!!)

Hope that helps!

10. jrtchr

jrtchr Well-Known Member

We have a regular Graco PNP that we are using for both girls right now - they are just under 6 lbs. each. Once they hit the weight limit (15 lbs.) combined - we will switch to two PNP or just put them both in the bottom of the one PNP - depending on my ability to bend over easily. We used the Graco PNP with my DD (who is now 4) and absolutely loved it - so easy to take with us and set up just about anywhere. Good luck with your search!!

11. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

I just bought the arms reach co-sleeper and am happy with it. The weight limit is 30 lbs (be sure to get the original and not mini). I had a regular graco PNP I thought about using but the same issue emerged, with the bassinet weight limit only at 15 lbs or so and the idea of reaching into the bottom seemed so exhausting. I bought it off CL for $75 and it is in great condition.

12. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Both of mine slept together in the bassinett of the P&P for a while, but they were tiny. Around 2.5 months of age they moved down to the bottom part of the P&P (together) and we put them in the same crib in their room at 3 months. At 4.5 months they went to separate cribs.

We did get 2 P&P's at our shower, and it's very handy to have two. One we kept on the main floor for naps, diaper changes, etc.

13. sparkle77

sparkle77 Well-Known Member

I did the same thing. I was originally planning to use the bassinet portion of a pack n play but wasnt thrilled about the 15 pound weight limit. I'm moving countries about 4 mths after the babies are born and I'm not buying nursery furniture here, so I really needed something that would hold them a little bit longer than 1 or 2 months. Yesterday I bought the original co sleeper and I will use it as a bassinet. On their website they actually state that its ideal for holding 2 babies.

14. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

We've been using the bassinet portion of our Graco Pack 'n Play since the babies were born. We only use it in the great room. We had two seperate bassinets in our bedroom. Our PnP has a 3/4 bassinet and a changing table. Honestly, I put our babies in there even when their weights were a little over the 15lb limit. I really think that weight might be based on a singleton since at that weight they are probably pulling themselves up already. Now we only put one in and will soon use just the bottom portion or remove it from our great room all together. That is if I can get both of them to nap in their crib other than a swing, bouncer, Pnp etc. :D

15. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

We got the original co-sleeper because of the higher weight limit, and then found we really needed something downstairs, too, so we got a graco p-n-p with a bassinet and changing table attachments. The co-sleeper is definitely more stable and really flat - the babies never slid into each other the way they did in the p-n-p bassinet. On the other hand, the changing table was great because it was up at the right level. We still use both. Jack naps in the co-sleeper and we hung on to the p-n-p as a second travel bed.

16. Double Vision

Those with co-sleepers where did you purchase it? I have seen some on BRU and on websites. I am wondering where I could get one within a weeks time.

17. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

I don't own one but if you don't mind second hand, you can probably find one on Craigslist and get a good deal. Good luck. :)

18. sparkle77

babyearth.com has them for $169 ($20 cheaper than everywhere else) and they offer free shipping. Mine shipped the same day via UPS. Happy hunting!!

19. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

I got my co-sleeper off of Craigslist for $60 in excellent condition!

20. JenCE

JenCE Active Member

I had both of mine in one basinet next to my bed for the first week or so but it was quite clear they would soon run out of room. We already had a pack n play with the basinet insert but they were quickly out weighing that too so after a little research I decided to buy a portable crib I bought a thicker mattress to go with it and I have to say it is one of if not the best purchase we have made for the twins so far. I LOVE this little crib. It uses the same size matress as a pack and play (and so same sheets) It fits snug againts my bed (My pack n play has kind of a bowed shape to it). I leave the side rail down always and so with my SUPER tall bed there is abotu 1-2" of rail between me and the babies. Super easy to lift them in/out (I had a c-section). I can't say how much I love this little crib. I have never owned an arms reach cosleeper but I think this might have a longer life since it has a full rail that raises and lowers and the matress can be lowered.

Sorry this reply is so wordy but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my little crib :wub:

Jen

21. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

The model that BRU sells is NOT the one that you would need w/ twins. The name should state that it is the "Original" cosleeper not "Mini." I know that some specialty baby stores stock it, both brick and mortar and online. I went the cheap-o route, too, though and purchased mine used off of eBay. Fabulous product, btw. I'm glad we invested in it.

Eve

22. sparkle77

BRU sells both -- the original and the mini. But like I mentioned in an earlier post, I found it cheaper on babyearth.com so I ended up bypassing BRU cause they were more expensive and shipping wasnt free.

23. twinsinoctober

twinsinoctober New Member

Jen, Which little crib did you use?? I had the same idea, but was not sure which would be the best one. Also, where did you get it? TIA!!

24. JenCE

JenCE Active Member

I bought the "Dream on Me 2-in-1 Portable Folding Crib" I got from Walmart "Site to Store" I live in Canada right on the border to NY state so I just buy online and drive over to pick it up (Canadian Walmart doesn't have site to store and doesn't carry as much baby gear) It cost $119.95 I also bought the thicker mattress that is recommended by all of the reviewers. So glad I did the "mattress" that came with it is Crap.

I don't know if this is the best one but I know there was another one that looked nicer but a lot of the reviews I read said that the bottom had fallen out on the :eek:

I still use it every night (Our Cambridge $$ sits in the nursery holding clean laundry)
    J

25. Double Vision

My babies are home and we have them in the pack and play and everything is going great. They are sleeping good and their weights are small enough for now.