Question for those who have children with Dairy allergies!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by siobhan, Jul 20, 2009.

1. siobhan

siobhan Well-Known Member

Hi my daughter who is 2.5 yrs old, has dairy allergies and today I bought some Goat cheese, I was wondering if that would be ok to give her..

2. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

It depends on what type of dairy allergy your daughter has. Usually goat products are tolerated much better than cow products, so she should be fine. Do you have to avoid everything with dairy in it (ie - no casein in packaged goods, no butter in cookies?) If you do, then she might not be able to handle goat cheese.

My daughter Piper has a mild cow's milk allergy and can do all goat products (milk, cheese, yogurt) just fine. She can also handle trace amounts of cow's milk in baked goods or butter used in cooking.

3. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I agree with Tricia. So much depends on what exactly she is allergic to in milk and how serious it is. My sister was allergic to milk and we had to carry an epi-pen everywhere. She would break out horribly if it even touched her. One M&M could send her into shock. There is no way we would have given her anything with any type of milk. But, that may not be true of your daughter.

FWIW, my sister did completely outgrow her allergy, so there is hope!

4. taylor116

taylor116 Well-Known Member

How old was your sister when she outgrew her allergy? My nephew sounds just like her, he is 11 and we are still hoping he will outgrow his allergy.

5. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Ditto the pp's. My boys have a dairy allergy and got horrible bleeding sores everywhere that goat milk, yogurt, or cheese touched them. That was about a year ago, and we haven't tried again since. If you try it, good luck!! :)

6. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

She was only three. But, I've heard of people outgrowing allergies during puberty, too.

We found out the scary way. My cousins (her age) decided to share some ice cream with her when no one was looking (they had gotten it out of the freezer themselves - no one was letting them eat it in front of her). My mom walked in a caught her eating it. She stood over her with an epi-pen for an hour waiting for a reaction. When she didn't have one, she tried giving her a little cheese, then straight milk, etc. She never had another reaction!

7. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

The protein that causes allergy in dairy milk is very similar to the protein found in goat's milk. Most children who are allergic to dairy are also allergic to goat's milk. I would recommend checking with your pediatrician. Our pedi said no goat's milk or any animal-based milk.

One of my boys had a dairy allergy and was on a complete casein-free diet until age 2.5 when his allergy test showed a decreasing response to dairy. We started slowly re-introducing dairy products and now at age 3 he's doing well. He goes in for another allergy test next week and I'm guessing it will show he's outgrown the allergy. He shows none of the signs that he had before. Most children will outgrow it by age 5-6.