question for those with intact boys

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fuchsiagroan, Feb 17, 2010.

1. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Andrew totally surprised us by pulling his foreskin all the way back. (Well, maybe we shouldn't have been surprised given how much he plays with it now that he's out of diapers. :rolleyes: ) I've only seen him do it once, and DH has only seen him do it once. Should we start retracting it to wash at bathtime now? Or since it stays down 99.9% of the time, should we leave it alone so we don't cause any problems?

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I have the same question, Holly.

At our 2-year appointment our Pedi was examining them and realized that their foreskin was completely retractable. It surprised me - suddenly, POP - there it is! :laughing:

However, it remains down and unretracted all of the time - so unless they start playing with it, it isn't going anywhere. I wasn't sure when (or if) I needed to start retracting to wash them or if I should just continue to wash their penises like a finger. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  3. Eleven

Eleven Well-Known Member

A question I feel I am very qualified to answer :)
    Being as I am not circumcised I would say you do need to pull the foreskin back to wash underneath it, just because it stays down doesn't mean dirt won't find it'd way underneath it, and this can lead to infections and just general nastiness, so yes pulling it back to clean is very important as long as it is retracting easily, don't force it to retract.

This site puts it much more clearly than I ever could

3 people like this.
  4. jjzollman

I'm hoping to hear from moms (or dads) of younger kids, really, as that seems more relevant to the 2-4 forum. :)

5 people like this.
  5. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I would guess if it's retracting easily, then you should wash under it? I'm really not sure -- Kev's hasn't retracted yet.

Even if you don't do it every bath, I'd probably check under the hood once in awhile, LOL.

6. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

I would say Eleven is correct. My son is 4 and his penis still doesn't seem fully retractable, but as soon as it is, I will have him pull it back and then clean a bit, or do it yourself. I agree that now dirt can get in there pretty easily from his fingers, and a quick rinse with water and/or water and soap would make sense.

Hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  7. Eleven

Eleven Well-Known Member

The link I posted is to an article by a Dr about cleaning under foreskins for kids.

8. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

[​IMG] This thread is making me glad I have all girls!! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

For now, Sheryl. For now. :p :p

10. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Well-Known Member

Me too! :hush:

11. fuchsiagroan

Just wait until they're all getting their periods! :escape: :lol: (My mom says I as WAY harder age 12+ than my brothers.)

Thanks for all the input, guys! :good:

12. jjzollman

I realize that, but quite honestly, when we're discussing little boys penises - I'd prefer to hear about other moms (and dads) experiences with their *son's uncirc'd penis*, not from an adult male relaying his own experiences. Just being honest. :)

9 people like this.
  13. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Watch it Eve, or DH is going to jump on here and [​IMG]

With the moodiness in this house, you would think they were teenagers already[​IMG]

Sorry to interrupt ladies, carry on...

14. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

If the foreskin is easily retractable than you should be cleaning underneath it.If you have to force it back then its not ready. Some kids are fully retractable sooner than others but most should be by age 5.

15. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

One of my boys has been pulling his back lately so I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking the question :)

16. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

We ALWAYS pull back to wash at every bath.

17. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

What is "easily retractable"? My DS is in-between: he was circ'd, but she left it a little long, so the Pedi has told us from the beginning we have to pull back the skin and clean it. He's never enjoyed the process (he fusses and squirms, used to cry a bit), but it's always been retractable.

To OP: When the Pedi pulled it back, was there anything on it? My DS's will collect this white lint or cheesy stuff on it that we have to clean off. (Sorry, gross, TMI - I'm sure) Just trying to say that you might be able to tell - is it dirty? Does it ever get red like it could be getting infected? Just my thoughts from my experience, which is probably different from parents of completely intact boys.

18. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks for the question and thanks to Eleven for answering with a male point of view. Personally we don't know any adults in real life to ask about something like this. We're the odd ones out in the family choosing not to circ, so getting an adult perspective is helpful.

Marissa

19. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I'm confused by why you want the opinion of mom's and dad's versus a doctor. Is there a particular reason? In situations like this, I'd rather have the info from a doctor like in the link Eleven shared.

20. jjzollman

I've had two different pediatricians tell me two different things: 1) wash it like a finger until it *very* easily retracts and 2) retract it now that it is 'retractable' and wash it.

I was interested in hearing what other parents have been told by their pediatricians and others' experiences,. That's all.

21. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Same with Royce. And he hates having it manipulated to be cleaned. Is there an easier way to clean under the short-long foreskin?

22. stacyann_1

stacyann_1 Well-Known Member

I liked the link that Eleven provided, it was helpful. Though I do agree that sometimes pediatrician's information is not reliable.

When T was just an infant she was saying to gently pull it back but stop as soon as you feel resistance, ie don't force it. I completely ignored that advice since it was against everything I read.

I wonder with my son if he'll be in that small percentage that needs a circ later in life. The shaft under the foreskin always looks red/purpley like the foreskin is very tight, and it hasn't really retracted much though my son definitely pulls at it sometimes. My husband (also intact) thinks it is normal though.. So we will see I guess.

23. fuchsiagroan

I think there are more minor operations they can do to loosen things up a bit. And I've heard of plenty of boys who are un-retractable at age 4 and older, so it's probably nothing to worry about!

24. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Aaron's still doesn't retract easily. We encourage him to do it in the bath. The ed can also prescribe a light cream that helps. But I think just encouraging him to play with it is the best course. :laughing:

25. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

What I meant by waiting until it is easily retractable is not to force it. when its ready it will retract really easily and there should be no discomfort to the child. If you force it to retract when its not ready you can do some pretty serious damage including the foreskin getting stuck in the retracted position and causing circulation to be cut off which I have seen done and those childre have had to have emergency circumcisions.

26. ChaoticMum

ChaoticMum Well-Known Member

My 4.5yr olds JUST retracted fully in the last month. Now he can pull it back himself.

I agree - if it comes back (and especially if he can do it himself) definitely retract it and clean it. My 6yr olds came back at about 3yrs of age - he was able to do it himself and I always remind him to 'pull his penis back and swish it' every bath. Both boys are able to do it themselves now.

27. fuchsiagroan

Oh, does it take encouragement? :rotflmbo:

28. Username

Username Well-Known Member

I've only encouraged my son to pay any attention to his penis when washing when it is bothering him. Typically this is after we've been at the ocean and he's been in and out of sandy water all day. Then he just retracts a bit and swishes it around in the tub.

hth.

29. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

EXACTLY!

I appreciate him chiming in. Good heavens. NOT anything wrong with that. Thanks for trying to help!