Question on Identical Twins vs Fraternal Twins

Discussion in 'General' started by MOM2AAA, Nov 24, 2006.

1. MOM2AAA

MOM2AAA Well-Known Member

This month in twins magazine there was a statement:
    Boy/girl are (almost) always dizygotic (DZ "fraternal").
    It never went onto explain how boy/girl twins could be identical...the "almost" implies that they could be??? I thought that was impossible. Can anyone explain??? I am totally lost.
    Thanks!
    Jenny

2. MOM2AAA

This month in twins magazine there was a statement:
    Boy/girl are (almost) always dizygotic (DZ "fraternal").
    It never went onto explain how boy/girl twins could be identical...the "almost" implies that they could be??? I thought that was impossible. Can anyone explain??? I am totally lost.
    Thanks!
    Jenny

3. Renea

Renea Well-Known Member

I read something similar in the What to expect when your expecting book.. it said that it IS possible.. but that there would be something terribly wrong with the children in that case.. I dont remember what it was called.. let me do some research.. Ill be back. [​IMG]

4. Renea

Renea Well-Known Member

5. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

All comes down to whether you call them id/frat or mono/di.

6. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had a member years ago who had an id set of b/g in her twins club.

It has something to do with the lack of a Y chromosome in the girl. The boy is rarely affected but the girl generally has Turners Syndrome which comes with medical problems ranging from mild to very severe (fused limbs, growth problems, infertility)

**edit** Renea's link finally opened (I have a heck of a time opening PDF files) and thats the main article most find when looking for m/f ids and its very good information. I've also read about it it Entwined Lives (a book about twins I totally recomend btw)

7. MOM2AAA

I read the article Renea found. It looks as if the most mono b/g twins would have a girl with abnormalities, but it is possible to have them both be normal...so how would you know if you had mono b/g twins??? Even their DNA would be diff right?
    Jenny

8. 4kids4Cat

4kids4Cat Well-Known Member

All their DNA would be the same, except for the sex chromosomes (X,Y).