question re: the bottle to sippy switch...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by dmoden, Dec 2, 2006.

1. dmoden

dmoden Well-Known Member

when you first switched from bottles to sippies, were you able to make the switch because your kids were holding the sippies themselves, or were you holding it for them? (this includes bedtime sippy).

also, is it really bad to let them use a sippy completely lying down? that is the only way Alexa can use one by herself!

2. dmoden

dmoden Well-Known Member

when you first switched from bottles to sippies, were you able to make the switch because your kids were holding the sippies themselves, or were you holding it for them? (this includes bedtime sippy).

also, is it really bad to let them use a sippy completely lying down? that is the only way Alexa can use one by herself!

3. momoftwins+one

momoftwins+one Well-Known Member

Children should never drink laying down, it can cause tooth rot and ear infections.

As far as switching before they can hold, I did that with my oldest. With the twins, I switched them and then they caught on to how to hold them! I just woke up one day and stopped the bottles, the daycare didn't like the idea, but after the first day they were fine and drinking well.

Now, I am in the process of getting my DS off those nuby cups and on a reg sippy

4. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

We had been using sippys of water since 6 months with my girls. They couldn't hold them though. When we went to switch the milk into the sippys, we were still holding them. I think we made the switch around 14 months gradually starting with the breakfast sippy first. Once they drank all of that, then we moved to milk in sippy for lunch and then dinner. We didn't do a sippy before bed because if they get milk with dinner, they really don't need milk before bed. We did give their sippy of water with bed and they just keep it in there with them. I think it took my girls until 15 months until they could tip their sippy on their own. I never thought they would ever do it and I would be giving them drinks my entire life!

5. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We switched at exactly one year. I had been giving them sippies since about 6 months so they knew how to hold them. The problem I encountered was that they wanted to walk around or sit straight up and they couldn't get the hang of tipping the cups up. So we switched to straw cups and they liked it much better.

6. dmoden

dmoden Well-Known Member

7. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

My girls laid down in the beginning when learning to hold a bottle or sippy. I am sure once they get the hang of it, they will be sitting up using it pretty soon. I wouldn't think much about it hurting them. It's not going to be a long period of time that they are laying down with it.

8. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I switched at 13 months and my girls still were not proficient at holding sippies or bottles. I went ahead and switched though, as they never really seemed attached to the bottles, it wasn't any kind of drama to switch. At first, we held the cups for them, then they gradually wanted to hold them, and we would show them how to tip the cup up to drink. They never tried laying down to drink. Mine were good at drinking from straw cups around 9-10 months, but I didn't want to use those for milk as they can get yucky.