Quick, odd question about c/section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by K.C., Dec 5, 2006.

1. K.C.

K.C. Well-Known Member

So, we are all geared up for the c/s on Friday. I can't wait to meet my girls!

Anyway, yesterday I had another NST and sono done and during the sono, the tech had to put my head all the way down so that I was lying completely flat. She hasn't had to do that in quite a while and I couldn't believe how faint and out of breath I became within seconds.

Then later that day I had my last ob appointment and she did a mini sono too, again putting my head way down so that I was lying flat and again I became real nauseous and out of breath and even started to sweat!

Later on I was thinking, how am I going to lay down for a c-section? When I sleep at night, I have to have my head elevated a good bit and lay on my side. Laying on my back is completely out of the question, so I was wondering what those of you who've BTDT with a c/s, how did it feel when they laid you down?

You would think with all the other creepy stuff about my first c/s I'd have better questions [​IMG], but this is what's been bugging me. Thanks for any info!

2. K.C.

K.C. Well-Known Member

So, we are all geared up for the c/s on Friday. I can't wait to meet my girls!

Anyway, yesterday I had another NST and sono done and during the sono, the tech had to put my head all the way down so that I was lying completely flat. She hasn't had to do that in quite a while and I couldn't believe how faint and out of breath I became within seconds.

Then later that day I had my last ob appointment and she did a mini sono too, again putting my head way down so that I was lying flat and again I became real nauseous and out of breath and even started to sweat!

Later on I was thinking, how am I going to lay down for a c-section? When I sleep at night, I have to have my head elevated a good bit and lay on my side. Laying on my back is completely out of the question, so I was wondering what those of you who've BTDT with a c/s, how did it feel when they laid you down?

You would think with all the other creepy stuff about my first c/s I'd have better questions [​IMG], but this is what's been bugging me. Thanks for any info!

3. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

My c-sections were quite a few years ago, 11 and 13, so I would have to say I don't remember. But I think if it were really uncomfortable, I would have some memory of it. The only negative part I remember at the delivery was afterward, in recovery... I was very, very cold. I think it is from the anesthetic, but I was freezing all the way to my bones and couldn't stop shivering. This was really unusual for me since I am always too warm. With all of the excitement of having your girls, I'm sure you won't even think about it on the big day! Just 3 more days... congratulations!!!
    Helen

4. socalkristi

socalkristi Well-Known Member

I am having a c/s on Thursday and this is the same thing that is bothering me the most so I asked my Dr and he said by the time they give me the spinal the babies are out within minutes and he promises I will not feel like fainting or faint. I am so worried aobut this too. Good luck on Friday

5. CapeBretoner123

CapeBretoner123 Well-Known Member

Don't worry , you'll be so excited you won't even notice. And if you do the drug doc has some nice medicine he/she can offer to help. I felt faint with the first c-section and he gave me something felt fine. GUess its like a shot of happy pill to relieve stress on you and babies.

6. Mellie03

Mellie03 Active Member

I've been wondering the same thing! I have passed out completely at two u/s with my peri from laying flat. I wonder, can you stay on your side until the last possible second?

Good luck!

Mellie
    DD 2years old
    29w6d b/g twins!

7. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I remember feeling that way for U/Ss but I totally don't remember that being an issue for the c-section. Maybe between my spinal and the excitement of meeting my new babies, I didn't notice???!!!

8. K.C.

K.C. Well-Known Member

Okay! Sounds good to me....like a no-big-deal type thing. Awesome...now I can worry about the real stuff! Thanks so much for everyone's reassurance.

And Socalkristi....good luck to you too! And Melli03, I'll let you know how it goes on Friday, if it was a problem or not. Which it sounds like it won't.

THanks again! [​IMG]

9. momlissa

momlissa Well-Known Member

I was very concerned about this when I went in for my c/s with DD. I had been getting really faint and nauseous when laying flat during NST's and my biggest fear was that they were going to lay me flat and I'd throw up in the middle of the c/s. Sure enough, the minute they lay me down, I started to feel queasy. I told the anesthesiologist this and they were able to give me something to make that feeling go away.

10. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

hhmmm.. I never thought of this, but my last C/S was a surprise! so I didn't have any time to think about it I guess. but yeah like the others have said they get ya real good and numb, and then for me I didn't even care that I was laying flat on my back, and it didn't really take too long and they were done. but the anesthesiologist kept asking me all these questions about if I was tingling or nausious. so if you do feel like you're gonna pass out just say something quick, and they can put whatever you need directly into your I/V (or whatever it is they put it in).

thinking about this now makes me wonder if I'll feel differently with a planned C-section than I did with the "surprise" one? this should be interesting.

good luck to all of you with schedueled C/S's comming soon! can't wait to hear your stories.
    Michelle

11. Wendianne

Wendianne Well-Known Member

I had the same concern when I had my girls. I think the anesthesiologist gave me something to calm me down or stop the feeling because I was so freaked out I tried to get up.

I told them I "changed my mind" and was swinging my arm for momentum trying to get up off of the table. Of course I was completely numb from the chest down so the only thing my efforts accomplished was getting my arms strapped down!

Once everything really got started, it went so fast I hardly had time to think about it anymore.

12. becky5

becky5 Guest

After you get the spinal you don't feel that way for some reason, and they also prop you a little to one side with some sort of pillow, so you aren't flat on your back! I asked before my c-section, I was worried also because I couldn't lie on my back for U/S after about 24 weeks. [​IMG]

13. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member

I had a c section two weeks ago. While I was in labor, they had me lying flat on my back for about 4 hours. I was miserable. I could not breathe, was nauseous and actually was sick several times. But the minute they gave me my spinal, I was JUST FINE! I felt like a million bucks! You should be just fine. Good luck!

14. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I am so glad you asked this! it was on my list of questions to ask the OB on Thursday! because I was beginning to wonder if I
    would just be passed out for the birth!!!

15. candicane05

candicane05 Well-Known Member

With my first set of twins, I would feel faint and out of breath with most of my ultrasounds. I clearly remember feeling the same during my c-section. I started to panic and told the anaesthesiologist (sp?) and she gave me something for my nerves and gave me oxygen. I also remember her telling the surgeons that they needed to move fast. It was pretty scary but as soon as the babies were out, the pressure on that artery was gone. It passes pretty quick! Good luck to you.

16. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I never felt like I was going to faint or break out in a sweat with any of my c-sections, but I did get really nauseous, which the person who was monitoring me then put something in my IV and it disappeared within seconds. So, no worries!! They have it all covered!

17. pam2baby

pam2baby Well-Known Member

With my section, I think I was so medicated by the time they wheeled me in that it wasn't uncomfortable at all. ( from what I remember) Good luck, hope things go great!! p

18. karyinny

karyinny Member

No worries--I had no problems with my first c-section. the anesthesiologist is right there and kept asking me how I was doing. Like the others said, if you are faint, just tell her/him. I also remember they had oxygen right there too that they gave me. It went by so quickly, I didn't have time to feel faint.

Good luck!!

19. Eyler07

Eyler07 Well-Known Member

i had the same problem and when it came to the time to have them babies, i was so excited and once the spinal was given to me, my only worry was how to get my large self onto the OR table from the one they had me on. After that, they had me laughing and talking and it got my mind off of everything. Relax and everytrhing will hopefully go okay. :) Good luck and cant wait to see you on the First Year Board!

20. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

I have had the problem of almost blacking out at every ultrasound since like 12 weeks. I have to do all my ultrasounds mostly laying on my side. I am still trying to decide c/s or vaginal delivery (if babies positions cooperate of course). I was really worried about this and asked my OB. She also said they use something to prop you up a little on your side. I'm not sure "propping me up a little" is going to do the trick though.....