quick question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by eagleswings216, Feb 14, 2012.

1. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My boys had a cold about two weeks ago, lasted about a week, and have been over it for a bit.

But now for the last week, they have had very loose, runny poopy diapers (lots of changing clothes AND diapers) - also up to 3-4 poopy diapers a day, sometimes just a tiny little bit in the diaper, but VERY smelly and has given them both a sore bottom off and on.

This is definitely not the norm for them, but they have no other symptoms right now. Should I be concerned??? They have soy intolerance, but they haven't gotten hold of any unusual foods or anything new. I don't really want to take them to the doctor if it's absolutely nothing, but I just can't figure it out!

ETA: We have one of those things that you can check their ears and their ears don't look infected....MIL is a nurse, and she also looked when she stopped by yesterday and said it didn't look like ear infections either.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls get loose stools every once in a while. It usually lasts about 24 hours & then they're fine. They rarely have any other symptoms & other than having to do some extra laundry it's no biggie. I've always just assumed they picked up a bug somewhere & it just needs to work through their system.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's probably snot in their stomach working it's way out. My two always have runnybutts after a cold because they swallow so much snot.

2 people like this.
  4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Yeah, like Rachel said, it's probably just a bit of a virus. Annoying, but probably nothing to worry about.

5. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Exactly this. We always have nasty, acidic diapers after colds (even mild ones). Yuck! Poor kiddos!

6. eagleswings216

I considered that, but it's been almost a week since their runny nose went away.....would it last that long?

7. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Yeah. It very well could. That's be my guess if it was my kids.

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with viruses but could they also be teething? 2 of mine got horrible acidic stinky runny poos when they were teething

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with all of the above. We've had runny diapers with teething, after a cold, and with a stomach virus. Usually though, the ones that smell super rank, are from a virus. Otherwise it's just runny diapers. But the nose turning ones are virus related. :hug:

10. eagleswings216

Thanks, ladies, I guess we will just wait it out a bit more and see what happens. And no, it's definitely not teething - they have all their teeth completely in (including the 2 year molars).