quick swaddling question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by babyhopes09, Jul 8, 2010.

1. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

We swaddle our 3 month olds for bedtime and for naps (3-4 naps per day).. I'm wondering though.. do you think that is bad for motor development? They definitely sleep better when they are swaddled. When did you take the step to not swaddle for naps?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i didn't stop swaddling until the girls were 6 months old - my girls never had any motor issues. do what works for your family - as long as they're getting time between naps unswaddled, they'll be great!

3. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

I stopped swaddling cold turkey at 4 months and within a week I noticed vast improvement in their motor skills. It could have just been coincidental with their age though. They still sat unassisted at 4.5 months so I don't think it's to bad for their development if it even effects it at all.

4. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I never swaddled at naps, not really sure why, just never did. Mine took most naps in their swings until they were around 6 months old though. I swaddled at night until around 6.5 months.

5. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

Our pedi felt it was bad for motor development. However, let me warn you that we have never gotten back to the sleep we had when we were swaddling, and it's been two months!!

6. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

if swaddling is bad for motor skills, we never noticed. :unknw: we swaddled until around 5 or 6 months (my agonized threads asking how to wean from swaddling are somewhere back in the history of this board :D ). the boys slept better and that meant we got more sleep. and since they're ahead of the developmental curve at this point we have no regrets.

7. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

We swaddled until 4 or 5 mos (too lazy to look up exact date) and I had early walkers. I think you will hear both opinions from pedis, but I am not sure there is a ton of research out there. I always figured they need to be good sleepers to develop, and swaddling ensured that. I am obsessed with good sleep, I admit it. :) IMO - swaddle away.

8. Double Vision

Double Vision Well-Known Member

we swaddled til 9 months, then went to the sleep sac, the slept better when snuggled for sure, one twin now sleeps with a sleeper pj but the other one had to be in a sac.

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Six months for naptime. And there are gross motor/fine motor issues over here! Being swaddled is just like they were in the womb, which is why for a lot of infants-it works! All nice and cozy in there!