Random questions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Farrah, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Farrah

Farrah Well-Known Member

Just a few questions...

How soon is everyone planning on having their baby showers?
    (I know we need to be prepared earlier...)

I know this is an old wives tale but how many people have had the boy/girl go along with the heartrates? You know they say a boy is usually lower and a girl is usually higher!
    My experience with my previous two was true...Zach was usually in the 120's-130's and Maddie was always in the 150's! I am just curious and I thought this would be a good place to test the theory.

Thanks guys!

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

:wavey:
    I don't have any answers about the heartrate, but as for the baby showers - The earlier the better!
    I had 3 showers & the first one was when I was 28 weeks.
    That was the BEST one because I still had energy & could get around easy :good:
    The last one was at 34 weeks & I was big & pretty uncomfortable. I also didn't have the energy to go through and organize all the gifts I recieved from that shower.

3. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

my shower is this weekend and I will be nearly 29w. (i am soooo stinkin excited :D) it will be the only one i will have..

as far as the HR question goes. My peri said that the HR isn't acurate at all, for dectecting genders, but my girls have been in the 140-150's the entire time.

4. kryscline

kryscline Well-Known Member

As for a shower, I won't be having mine until 34 weeks because it just won't work out any other way. I would like to have it sooner, but with all the holidays, it just won't work.

As for heart rates...I'm having two girls and their heart rates are basically all over the place, ranging from 120's to 160's. When I was 12 weeks I asked my sonographers if it's true about the heart rates and he told me, not early on, but possibly toward the end of the pregnancy it may be able to see a difference.

Congratulations on your twin pregnancy! :woohoo:

5. bkpjlp

bkpjlp Well-Known Member

DDs heartbeat started in the 160s and settled in around 148. We didn't find out genders with either of my pregnancies, so a labor & delivery RN thought DD was a boy when I was hooked up to the machine while in labor. She apparently was wrong. :lol:

The boys' heartbeats were all over the place. I had so many ultrasounds (like I'm sure you all do). Sometimes they would be in the 120s but they were sleeping. Othertimes they would be in the 180s, but they were wrestling at the time. I couldn't get a feeling what the boys were based on heartbeats.

6. boog9902

boog9902 Well-Known Member

My shower was given at 25 weeks I have been on modified bed rest since 18 weeks and they weren't sure what was going to happen so they wanted to throw it while i could still get around a bit ..

7. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

My shower was between 29 & 30 weeks. I was so scared of doing it too early because I was so superstitious my entire pregnancy. I was so scared of preterm labor and something happening to the babies. So my shower at that time meant getting invitations out a month before that, so I had to start registering about 2 mos before the shower. I was so nervous about getting too excited about baby stuff and then something going wrong. But everything worked out better than I could have hoped. Plus, it gave me enough time to get stuff put away, washed, set up and my thankyou notes done before I was too tired and huge to do anything.

As far as the heart rates, I've always been told by my OB that you can't judge from them. But I'm still secretly a big believer in them. It worked out for my friends that remember what theirs were. I can't say for sure how ours worked out. All along I was thinking we were having 2 of the same (we asked at the first u/s if they were one of each or both the same, after we were told they were the same we said we didn't want to know the sex - it was a compromise for me and my husband). So all along they were off by about 5 - 10 beats or so between the two babies, and I always chalked it up to one was sleeping and the other was more active. But I always thought girls, because they were higher in the beginning and then settled in the 140 - 155 range later on. Turns out we had one of each! What a surprise in the operating room! All along I never paid attention to A was this and B was this, so I can't say if A (my boy) was always the one that was consistently lower.

I do remember being hooked up in the hospital before the csection and watching the heart rates. one was clearly lower, like in the 120's - 130's and I remember worrying one was in distress or something since it was so much lower than what I was always told (though I know they were always estimates before). The nurse even guessed one of each at that point because of the heart rates and I was like nope, they're both the same. Guess she was right, and at that time the heart rate was a good indicator.

8. newjersey_mom

newjersey_mom Well-Known Member

My shower is supposed to be next month when I am 27 weeks along. My mom and 2 sisters live out of state and planning it has become a huge pain in the butt. It took my mom forever to agree on a date and she still wants to change it to February. I said no because I thought I'd be more comfortable doing it in January. It has come down to anything we (my sisters and I say) my mom disagrees with because...I don't know why, but she does. My one sister asked her last week if she had picked a day so she could try to get the days off of work and she got yelled at for asking a simple question. My other sister spoke to my mom last night about it and she also got yelled out and my mom actually said, "I shouldn't even be the one doing all this." So now I feel like crap because my own mother basically said she doesn't want to plan my shower. The invitations are supposed to go out in the next two weeks or so. Sorry if that doesn't answer your question, but I had to vent, she really upset me last night when my sister told me that. I thought this was supposed to be fun, but the shower is not fun anymore.

As for the heartrates...my girls started in the 160's and now are in the lower 150's/upper 140's. I did read that girls heartrates can be faster than boys, but not having any other babies to compare them too...I'm not sure if that is fast or not!

9. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

We had all of our showers before 24 weeks. I was already on bed rest, so that was tricky. I'm glad we did it that early since I was admitted to the hospital at 26 weeks.

Our heart rates were always in the 140/150 range earlier on. Now, they hover in the 130/140s with accelerations up into the 170s. My OB swears you can't judge by the heart rates, but it's still fun to guess!

10. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I had my shower at 24 weeks. It was out of state so we needed to get it done with before I was on travel restriction. Most people will recommend having a twin baby shower before 28 weeks because that is a common point in the pregnancy to start getting exhausted.

For heartrates, I guess you could say my first 3 kids all fit the pattern. Dax's heartrate was in the 150s while the girls were in the 160s and 170s. We don't know the gender of this baby but it's heartrate tends to stick around the 140s.

11. jordyn25

jordyn25 Well-Known Member

The heartrate theory has consistently proven true for me. When I found out at 19 weeks one was a boy, she couldnt see the othe rbaby but the heartrate was higher. It is a girl and her heartrate is always a little higher at every NST.
    My mom used to work for an OBGYN and she said it was true with the patients also and that there has been actual studies done proving it-so its not just an old wivestale. Mine were both in the 150's last time but boys was higher-

I had my baby shower at 31.4 weeks.
    I am 37 weeks and still dont have everything! I am getting my other swing tomorrow night I think and I still need a diaper bag and to pack a hospital bag! I dont even have the dresser in our apartment yet wiuth the clothes.
    I am lagging!!!!

12. Joanna416

Joanna416 Well-Known Member

No one will be giving me a shower - because I have a 5 year old people here think there is no need.... <_<
    as for the heartrates, my DD was always in the 160's, this little girl has always been in the 160's and my boy has always been in the 140's - not that I have any idea if that means anything.....

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No shower here (that I know of), I had one with my ds and my dd so I don't really need one! :D

As for heartrates, my ds's was in the 140-150 range, my dd's was in the 145-155 range, and this time they both range from 140-160 and it's b/g. But one day the boy will be faster and one day the girl will be faster! My last u/s, Liam's was 158 and Rylee's was 160! lol

I have read that mom's heartbeat can also affect babies heartrate since mom is essentially pumping blood thru the placenta for baby! I have no idea what's true, but it kinda makes sense in a way! :)