Rash on baby girls private part, what to apply?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Krissa72, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Krissa72

Krissa72 Active Member

Just noticed this evening baby girl - 6 month old - has rash in the front area - hate to write this but on the inner lips. It is pretty red. I am thinking MIL did not clean her properly since after I got back and she was watching twins DD had this rash, and this has never happened before on the front part anyway. I am used to boys so have no clue what to do. Can I apply desitin there? Vaseline? Butt paste? I left it alone and she is asleep and I hope it is not worse in the AM.
    Thanks!
    Krissa!
    6 mo old B/G twins
    5 Yr old boy

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Any of those creams would work just fine. I hope it clears up quickly!

3. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

I would apply aquaphor, but I use that for pretty much anything! Poor baby :( I hope it gets better soon!

4. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Butt paste or zinc. The aquaphor would be good too. Are you sure it's not a yeast infection?

5. Krissa72

Krissa72 Active Member

thanks! Do I need to be careful not to get it in the hole the urine comes out of? I am worried about causing a UTI.
    Thanks!

6. Krissa72

Krissa72 Active Member

Not sure if it is a yeast infection, it is just red like a diaper rash. (never had one myself so not sure what one looks like)

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would just use a cream or Vaseline for a couple of days to create a waterproof barrier. If its not getting better or gets worse then I would go the Ped.

8. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

My girls have gotten that before (red and looks like diaper rash) and I just make sure to apply Vaseline like Rachel recommends and it clears up within a day or so.

9. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I like to use Desitin Creamy (doesn't smell as bad as the original). I spread it on her skin--I don't push it into her urethra or vagina.

10. IcelandGA

IcelandGA Active Member

Nystatin cream (prescription) is great but for a home remedy, you can't been Maalox. Yep, I know!! Sounds ridiculous. But it cuts the yeast and acidity of the rash. Our LO's have both had terrible diaper rashes from antibiotics (and my baby girl got it when she ate peaches) and both our nurses and daycare folks recommended Maalox. It cleared up virtually overnight.

11. Krissa72

Krissa72 Active Member

thanks everyone! It is all cleared up, used bordeauxs butt paste. Now I wonder as I blame my MIL (LOL) DD is on an antibiotic for an ear infection, maybe that is part of it. But, MIL seems to leave some poop behind at a lot of diaper changes. Either way, all cleared up, thank you ladies!!