reality check, please?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fuchsiagroan, Mar 9, 2009.

1. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

We're having a rough day. Whining, tantrums, clinging. I can hardly put a bowl in the dishwasher without someone demanding a "big big hug Mommeeeeeee" and/or having a total meltdown. My back is sore from carrying clingy toddlers. And when we're not busy with that, it's just want want want all the time. "Ivy want ___!" "Andrew want ____!" I'm going to jump out the window next time I hear the W-word. They won't play with their (fun, freshly rotated) toys. And they're being this charming with full tummies and clean diapers and after a good night's sleep, and despite having fun at playgroup.

In my head, I know they're just 2 yr olds being 2 yr olds. But when they act this miserable, I just worry. They just seem so unhappy, and I can't help feeling like I'm failing them. Which I know isn't true, it's just the age - so I need someone to smack some sense into me! :lol:

2. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

I'll smack some sense into you if you do the same for me!!

Hugs Holly, we're right in the same boat...

And along with the "I wan' it!" Ellie picked up "I caaan't!" {insert extremely annoying whiny voice} THAT drives me up a wall. :headbang:

I do just remind myself (repeatedly and sometimes with more luck than others...) that it is normal and healthy for two year olds to push limits and boundaries. :rolleyes:

And for some strange reason, it took me four hours total to do my grocery shopping alone yesterday :D !

3. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

SO on your page right now. For us it is .."mommy up, mommy up, mommy up!" OMG I want to stick a pencil in my eye. If it is not Jack it is Lily and usually both. I don't mind carrying them both together, but I HAVE to get some things done which means I need ONE arm. I decided that after DST we would start eating dinner as a family so now I am spending all of their naptime making stupid dinner for us and I should be using it to find a new job since I am "terminated" after May 18th. Of course the laundry piled up and blah blah blah blah.

I think that the time change messes with them a bit and makes them crazy. Or, maybe it is making mommy crazy :)!

4. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

where's the head smacking smilie??

It's just the age! Hang in there!!

5. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I don't understand the problems you guys are having - mine don't do anything like that at all.

:laughing:

I'd love to help but all I can do is comisserate!! Have a cup of tea...or maybe something stronger! :drinks:

6. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:hug: I often wonder the same thing on some days. :umm: It is their age, and hopefully by three they will all be perfect little angels. :angel: Hang in there momma.

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hang in there! I'm sure it's just a bad day today. :hug:

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

trust me - the closer to 3 they get the worse it gets!!!

mine is "she hit me - he kicked me" waaaaaahhhhhhh.....I want milk, I want atorgade (gatorade to the rest of us) all.day.long!

9. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

:hug: I hear ya, Holly!

We went to a party this weekend where everyone (or so it seemed!) was chastising us for not putting our kids in "school" yet. What!? They're not even 2!! Sometimes, on days like you are describing, a small part of me wonders if I'm failing them, and if they would be doing better in another environment. But then I get back in touch with reality and see that they are really thriving and only act like they do with me because they are so secure with me. Not much fun for me, but I'm not doing that bad.

You are doing an awesome job as a mama-- and they are doing an awesome job at being 2....!! :lol: :rolleyes:

10. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Ok my twins are not at that age yet so bare with me on my advice..... besides enjoying some nice wine this evening....

maybe .... really watch their caffeine, sugar, red dye /yellow dye intake. no sugar cereals or sugary treats. Why make this stage worse right ?

maybe a good book on dealing with toddlers to give you some things to try to see if they might work.....

a night out with just you and the hubby.... or better yet a weekend away with the girls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

Hey Holly!

SMACK! That's my hand on your face. You're an amazing mom with amazing kids who are just behaving like the toddlers they are. Ugh, mine just started the "I want it" phase. But they're favorite is "I like it" which just makes me laugh even when they're whining it because it just sounds so ridiculous coming from a tiny person's mouth. I'm sure your day is already turning for the better :D . Hang in there and start counting down the hours til bedtime.

And Amy, I almost spit my drink out when I read your pencil-in-the-eye comment. I can not count how many things I've threatened to shove in my eyes and head. It's amazing the crazy things toddlers can cause you to imagine.

12. Mommy2ATeam

Mommy2ATeam Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Mar 9 2009, 03:06 PM) [snapback]1220600[/snapback]
    :hug: I often wonder the same thing on some days. :umm: It is their age, and hopefully by three they will all be perfect little angels. :angel: Hang in there momma.

Sorry I just have to - BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :rotflmbo: While in some ways 3 is better (they can somewhat dress themselves and pick things out that they like and clean up after themselves) it's hardly angelic! Now I just beg for 2 seconds of peace and quiet and a break from the "Why is the sky blue Mommy? (Because it wants to be.) Why is the sun coming up Mommy? (Because it wants to...go back to bed.) Mommy, Alana hit/kicked/pinched/licked me! (Alana stop it! Alexis stop tattling!)" and all the end of the world drama that comes about because I picked out the wrong pajamas or *gasp* didn't let them have Valentines candy for breakfast. Can you tell I'm still recovering from the weekend? :rolleyes:

Anyway, now that I've scared all you mommies of two year olds, I'm off to take my drama queens to dance class! :p

ETA: I forgot about the OP! Holly, you are doing great! I know how easy it is to feel like a failure when they're acting like monsters. Just remember...this too shall pass. And in about 16 years, we're going to look back and wish we had been able to slow the time down, even with the whining and meltdowns.

13. Mommy2ATeam

Wow! I must have really scared y'all. I'm sorry! I really didn't mean to.

14. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

Smack!

We've had the same thing the last couple of days - I totally agree that the time change is unsettling in ways we can't even fathom (though I've always hated the time change in the spring - I'd probably be doing similar things if I a) weren't civilized already and b) had a mommy around to demand things of.)

You know you're an awesome Mom - here's a bright side: your angels are so smart and precocious, they're probably effectively closer to 3 than 2, and so might pass through the awfulness that much sooner!

15. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mommy2ATeam @ Mar 10 2009, 09:10 PM) [snapback]1222743[/snapback]

It's okay Aubrey, we were all just rocking in the corner looking for our happy places! :D

16. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mommy2ATeam @ Mar 10 2009, 06:10 PM) [snapback]1222743[/snapback]

QUOTE(Chillers @ Mar 10 2009, 08:17 PM) [snapback]1222913[/snapback]
    It's okay Aubrey, we were all just rocking in the corner looking for our happy places! :D

holly, hope your day today was better!

17. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a lot more exciting when they no longer whine to tell you what they want... they just go get it or do it and hope you don't notice. Yep, huge improvement. <_<

18. nutty-mom

nutty-mom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TwinLove @ Mar 9 2009, 02:06 PM) [snapback]1220600[/snapback]

Mine will be 4 yrs old in a few weeks and I still here I want___ I want___ we want ___ and as soon as I get busy with something HOLD me pleeese, or hold us pleeese, watch tv with us. Even after I spend time playing with them.

I hope it gets better. I love still holding them, but the laundry, dishes and rest house work does have to get done.

19. Mommy2ATeam

QUOTE(Chillers @ Mar 11 2009, 12:17 AM) [snapback]1222913[/snapback]