really need help with napping

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by someone, May 18, 2009.

1. someone

someone Well-Known Member

My twins are now 9 and a half months. They have never been good nappers! Most people say their babies become better nappers at this age but I am still having difficulty.. I'd like them to get 2 naps a day at this point with each nap being AT LEAST an hour preferably longer.. is this unreasonable or unrealistic? I have been using Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy child as a sort of guide. I used to make sure to put them down within the two hour of being awake mark but according to the book, now I should be putting them down at around 9, then again around 1-2ish. In the morning, I ushually do end up putting them down about 2 hours after waking up. The problem is they don't sleep for very long! Sometimes one cries for a while and by the time she's done crying, her sister wakes up.. I gets frusterating. I'm just asking for any tips on how to better schedule my babies!

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

No, I don't think it is unrealistic....

At 9 months our schedule was:

730 wake
    930 nap
    130 nap
    7 bed
    (and yes, I had to look it up!)

Are they waking from naps around the 45 minute mark? If so it could just be an issue of waking during the light sleep cycle, and not being able to soothe themselves back to sleep for the remainder of the nap. How do you feel about CIO?

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think it is unrealistic at all. We had to do CIO with our two to get their naps on track. At nine months, they were waking up at 7:30 and went down for nap #1 at 9:30...they usually slept until 11-11:30 and then took nap #2 at 2PM.

4. someone

someone Well-Known Member

Becky, I am all for cry it out if i need to do it, and i ushually end up letting them cry until they fall asleep.. but once they wake up, i feel bad letting them cry again because i don't know if they are truelly still tired or really had enough of a nap, if it was 1/2 hour or 45 minutes.. any suggestions on this though??

itsnancy, how long was the 2pm nap?

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(someone @ May 19 2009, 01:07 PM) [snapback]1319782[/snapback]
    Becky, I am all for cry it out if i need to do it, and i ushually end up letting them cry until they fall asleep.. but once they wake up, i feel bad letting them cry again because i don't know if they are truelly still tired or really had enough of a nap, if it was 1/2 hour or 45 minutes.. any suggestions on this though??

It does sound like they are waking during that light sleep phase of the sleep cycle. I think if you can do CIO, and get them through that 30-45 minute light sleep(where now they wake up) for a few days, they will probably stop crying at that mark, and take longer naps.

Article

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Are they sleeping through the night? Mine would nap for an hour in the morning and 1.5 hrs in the afternoon. If the afternoon nap was too short, they would take another cat nap around 4. We did CIO for the night and had to do it several times thanks to new teeth. HTH!

7. debfitz

debfitz Well-Known Member

I had to let mine cio for naps too. They are on a really nice schedule now.
    wake 7am
    eat/play
    nap 8:30
    wake 10-10:30
    eat/play
    nap 11:30-12
    wake 2-3pm
    eat/play
    very occasional nap in late afternoon
    eat dinner starting at 5
    in bed by 6pm

8. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

we used to hit that 45 minute marker with DD all the time, and ever since she became mobile she's been a much better napper. We nap them at 9am and depending on how well that nap goes we put them back down at 1:30 or 2pm. Usually they nap in the morning for 1 1/2 - 2 hours and the afternoon nap is usually another 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Then we put them down at 7:30pm for bed.

GL -- napping is so frustrating. I finally had to come to the realization that it is what it is -- and we just finally just rode it out with DD and now it's finally better. BTW - we also have a sound machine in the nursery and we seperate them for naps. We put DS (better napper) in the pack n play in the spare bedroom and DD is in the nursery.