Recent Night Wakings...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ssb2e, Mar 10, 2010.

1. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

My DS recently had double ear infections, both of which resulted in ruptured eardrums. Before this he has been STTN for quite a long time. If he ever woke up and was fussing, I was able to walk in and put a paci in his mouth. This was the only cause of a fuss was if he couldn't find his paci. Since the ear infections (about 1.5 weeks ago) he is waking constantly at night and taking very poor naps. He goes crazy crying until I pick him up. Nothing is wrong, because as soon as I hold him he's fine. Even just hugging him while he stands in his crib makes him quiet down. I have never rocked my babies to sleep and I have never had a problem with just putting them in the crib and them falling right to sleep. I haven't dealt with this and I dont' know what to do. I have tried rocking him back to sleep and if he's in a deep sleep it works until he wakes back up. I even left him in his crib crying last night for 1 hour and 45 minutes!! Granted, I went in numerous times, but did not want to pick him up. I've given milk, etc. I just don't know what else to do, but I do know I need sleep!!! :lazy: He is on antibiotics still, maybe this is the cause..?? Anyone have any advice? Thank goodness his sister is a sound sleep since she's right next to him in her crib!

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

It sounds like his ears are bothering him. It's very common for kids to not really feel the ear infection until they lay down, I think it has something to do with the liquid in the eardrum. I would take him back to the ped, you might need a stronger antibiotic. Poor guy!! I hope you all are getting some sleep soon!

3. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Wow, I really feel like an idiot! How could I not have thought of that? I guess in my defense, this is his first ear infection. I will definitely call the pedi in the morning. After he started antibiotics I took him back 2 days later because he seemed like he was still having a very hard time so she put him on something stronger, but I'm going to blame the lack of sleep for not thinking of that now. Thank goodness for this site!

4. ainsleyr

ainsleyr Well-Known Member

The other thing is, that until the antibiotics start to work, and even for a few days after, he will still be in a lot of pain. Even once the infection has cleared, there can still be fluid in the ears for a few days or even longer. Have you tried Motrin or Tylenol? I woud suggest Motrin, & on a pretty regular schedule as directed on the box (every 6 to 8 hours). Try to give it with a bit of food or milk, because Motrin can irritate your little one's stomach. Tylenol you could give on an empty stomach. Some people alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours, but I have never been a particular fan of that practice - it seems like a lot of medicine for a little baby's liver to cope with! Definitely give a pain reliever a try though, & you could aso try raising up one end of his bed a little so that he isn't totally flat.

Hope this helps!!

5. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I agree with the PPs, antibiotics can take up to 2-3 days to start working. How long has he been on them for? As for the pain, I recommend regular doses of painkillers, as mentioned above, to help him. Your pedi should have advised you about this, if he/she hasnt already.

If your pedi gives you the all-clear, i.e. he is getting better, then you will have to ride out the rough nights :hug: until he makes a full recovery. However, once he is better you may find he wakes anyway but out of habit.

I hope he makes a fast recovery and that you can all get some sleep again. It´s horrible when they are ill but keep giving him lots of TLC.

GL & :hug:

6. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

He's actually been on antibiotics for 11 days. 3 days with the first one, but she wasn't happy with how bad his ears still looked, so she switched him. He's been on the second one for 8 days, today is the 9th day of it. I was giving him Tylenol/Motrin for the first 5 days or so because he had a high fever. Once the fever went away I stopped because I didn't want to overdo it. I gave him some this morning though and do have an appt with the pedi today. Thanks for all of your help.

7. mommyto3boys

mommyto3boys Well-Known Member

The ruptured eardrums can cause a funny feeling in his ears that might be bothering him when he lays down. I have unfortunately expierenced ruptured eardrums a few too many times and it can feel weird for several weeks until the hole heals up. I would try elevating the head of his crib slightly so he is not lying flat. This might help with the pressure change that happens if lying flat.

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

The PPs have some great suggestions! I'm so sorry you're going through this; I DREAD night-wakings! Hopefully some Motrin will make him feel better so you both can get some sleep. :hug: