Recommendations for a Humidifier

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jenniferkkelly, Sep 4, 2008.

1. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

My twins have had really bad colds for about a week now & we realize that we need to get a humidifier asap. Do you have any recommendations for a good, affordable humidifier? My DH is hesitant to buy one because he's allergic to mold & mildew & he thinks a humidifier may worsen that or may cause some mold & mildew to grow in the nursery. If you know of any humidifier that would prevent this (and that doesn't cost an arm & a leg), I'd love to hear about it!

2. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Not any one in particular - we have two or three and they all have their kinks. I would however recommend a cool mist humidier vs. warm to cut down on the mold/mildew while still giving you the benefit of the humdification.

The only potential downside I have seen to cool is that I am not sure how a vapor mist would work or if it is even possible with cool mist.

3. Anne2571

Anne2571 Well-Known Member

4. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

cool spray humidifiers are the best for stuffy noses. The only time you should use a warm steam vaporiser is for pneumonia. I suggest, even though I know you are trying to cut down on mold/mildew a spray not a mist humidifier. The other puts it in the air, but not at a rate that will actually help the babies. Place a waterproof tablecloth under a towel on the floor around the humidifier, to help prevent it from soaking carpets or floors. Also, you can use vinegar to clean it with. Just use it on a cycle of vinegar and water outside to take away all the "icky" stuff and clean it plus it deodorizes it. I have bad allergies and have noticed that doing that really helps. Even my DH, who can't stand having one going has been okay lately, as my DS is sick, too and has had to have it going a lot. hope your little ones gets feeling better soon.

5. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

We have the Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier & it works great. We purchased some extra cleaning cartridges that goes in the actual tank to help keep it clean though cause DH was worried about mold etc. as well.

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(tamaras @ Sep 4 2008, 03:40 PM) [snapback]962754[/snapback]
    We have the Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier & it works great. We purchased some extra cleaning cartridges that goes in the actual tank to help keep it clean though cause DH was worried about mold etc. as well.

This is the one we have as well in the boys room. Seems to work well.

7. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Sep 4 2008, 04:03 PM) [snapback]962788[/snapback]
    This is the one we have as well in the boys room. Seems to work well.

We have this one as well and we like it!! This is our 3rd. It is worth investing some money (if you have it), because you will be using it for a couple of years.

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I got a vicks one, only to see that it doesn't have visible mist, and as such doesn't work for colds. Bummer. I bought it for me because I always have a stuffy nose at night too, and dh isn't too happy about it. I need to get another one but frankly don't like the idea of having to wash the thing once a week... I have enough things to do!