Recommended Shoes for Disney World?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Tivanni, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

We are going on a family vacation to Disney World. I am doing a lot of research to plan a smooth trip...we will be going at the end of July. Aquestion I had for those of you who have gone...what shoes are best for children...and me??

I Googled it and Crocs seem to be a popular recommendation.

Also, if you have any other tips about anything, love to hear it! They have been out of a stroller for a long time now but I am thinking about bringing our Jeep lightweight...well as lightweight as a double can be. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Sharon

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

The kids were in sneakers. :good: Only because there is alot of walking, playing, waiting in line and I figured sneakers were the most comfortable for them. I wore flip flops and did fine in them. I think as long as they are shoes you've been wearing for a while, you'll be good. Don't go in new shoes. :nea:

We brought two single umbrella strollers. That worked best for us because we could get around easier (in the crowds). We also brought a back pack with us for all the stuff. :good: It fits alot in it and you don't have to hold it on one shoulder. Plus, buy spray bottles. They are REALLY expensive in the park but if you buy it at a regular store they are cheap and they really do come in handy when the heat gets to be too much!! :faint:

I hope you have a blast!!

3. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I would say sneakers but thats because my son gets blisters from his crocs on the side of his feet. I also feel sneakers are better when you do a lot of walking. We took our single stroller when we went and that was for my son who was just a little over a year old, we figured our girls would walk (we went for their 5th birthday). Our girls got a little tired from walking so we would rest on benches that they have all through the park and for the most part we were just walking from one ride to the other and standing in line waiting. We also brought a backpack it was easier to carry and held everything we needed (diapers and wipes for my son and a couple things of water for everyone to drink). We also got up early and got to the parks early and then left around 1 or so to take naps. Then later if we wanted to go back to on of the parks we could or we would just stay at the hotel and swim in the pool.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We live in FL and go to Disney quite frequently. I have never put them in their Crocs to go. I think they fall off to easily and I can just see one of them falling off and us not noticing and getting lost. Then we have a kid with one shoe. I put them in either sneakers or the cross between a sandal/sneaker.

5. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We all went to Disneyland 2 months ago and they wore their Crocs the entire time with no problem. However, they do wear their Crocs at home on a regular basis (like 80% of the time) so they are VERY used to them.

As for a stroller, we brought our DuoGlider. We have 2 umbrella strollers, but opted to bring the DuoGlider. It worked out great for us. I would recommend bringing some kind of stroller because it is always nice to have something to carry snacks, jackets, etc. in. Plus you never know when one might get tired during such a busy and fun day! We did not choose to bring 2 umbrella strollers because I do not ride on the rides (motion sickness) so it's just easier for me to handle the DuoGlider while I wait for them. :)

6. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

If they are used to Crocs, I think those would be good as long as they stay on well. I have three kids that the Crocs hook on the heels well and two that they slip off. I would also not do closed up sneakers or anything with socks. Feet and head are the two places that hold or lose heat the most so when it's hot wear a light hat (or visor) and sandles/flip flops. I like the suggestion of a sandle/sneaker cross. BUT if you get something new, have them wear the new shoes pretty much all the time til you leave, even in the house. That way you get a good feel for how the fit, if the rub, etc. Have fun!

7. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

My kids are mega-Croc wearers, but when we go to Disneyland (we have passes), the rule is that they must wear socks and tennis shoes. They get really sweaty feet, and I just think this is the best for them. They have never complained yet.

As for a stroller, not a bad idea to have one. It is nice to carry all their gear around.

8. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

Mine have worn tennis shoes everytime. My girls aren't in the stroller anymore, but it was used 80% of the time when were have done Disney. There is just so much walking and in the heat they just couldn't handle it all.

9. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I've never taken kids to Disney, but wanted to add a thought on Crocs. I broke my foot last year and spent a lot of time in an orthopedic surgeon's office. Every single doctor and nurse I talked to told me to avoid Crocs for my kids (and for me). I've never worn Crocs and don't know much about how they fit, but each and every doctor asked if I had been wearing Crocs when I broke my foot. Then they gave me the Croc lecture (even though I had been wearing sandals!). They said that Crocs are the number one shoe type for child foot and ankle injuries, even more than flip flops. The kind with the back strap are slightly better, but the advise was still to skip Crocs if at all possible.

10. Tivanni

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice!! We are taking all of your advice...and bringing the Crocs for just the water rides...
    and we went shopping and found these Stride Rite open sneakers at a great price at the Outlets. They have always done well with Striderite...never any blisters and comfort issues so I thought we had better stick with them. ...and they will match perfect with our visit to Bibbity Bobbity Boo Boutique and dinner at the Castle.

Here are our new Shoes for Disney!

http://www.green-initiative-llc.com/disney-shoes-ts.jpg

Thanks everyone!!

Sharon

11. Tivanni

Sorry photo didn't attach above!

Here are our new Shoes for Disney!
    View attachment 5815

Thanks everyone!!

Sharon

Attached Files:

12. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Very cute shoes. I would make sure to have your girls break them in at home before you go.

13. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I agree 100% ! I usually get my boys 2-3 new pairs of shoes for Disney. (YES I AM a shoe addict and must match the shoes to each outfit .. its a weird obsession and I've totally accepted it ! :p ) But I make sure they wear the shoes prior to our trips to break them in. I usually get a pair of Sketchers and then some Airwalks from Payless (less expensive and seem to wear well). The Crocs we use for the pool area.

When we went this past May I took the boys Jeep double stroller. It really was nice to have them both in one place and it helped with them getting cranky and tired. Plus its nice to be able to hang bags off the handles !

Hope you have a wonderful trip .. I know we always do !

14. Tivanni

Great advice...I am having the girls are wearing them every day. They love them and one of my daughters told me they make her run fast!

They are almost too big for a stroller but we picked up two individual ones...after looking at the cost to rent, we would spend the same amount on just two days. I know it's going to be HOT so I know they will get tired quicker than normal.