Refuses crib only at naptime

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Kateryna, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

Hi girls,

For about 3 months now my son will not stay in his crib during the day. He goes to bed completely fine for the night without rocking or any assistance. Yet in the day he will scream his head off if I even attempt to place him there.

So now for naps I sleep with him on the floor in the living room and he sleeps for 3 hours! So obviously he needs his rest but it's crazy that I have to lie here beside him. If I attemp to leave he gets up too.

Also, I trie CIO and he cried for 2 hours untill I gave up. I only tried to 2 days. Should I be consistent and just let him CIO for a week or so?

Any any advice would be so much appreciated !

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would try CIO for a week and see what happens. Maybe you can start with him in the crib and you laying on the floor and then each day you move further away from the crib until you are out of the room. Good luck!

3. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest lying beside the crib too. You could even reach through the bars to pat/rub his back if need be. Then hopefully he won't cry and after a while you can gradually move out of the room.
    If he won't go for that (still screams like mad in the crib even with you lying there) I would do try an even slower transition.
    I'd start by lying on the floor, both of you in the same way you do in the living room, in the bedroom instead. Then after 4-5 days of that begin by lying on the floor of the bedroom, wait until he is almost asleep (literally seconds away from being asleep), and then pick him up and put him in the crib. Obviously the movement will disturb him a bit but if he's close enough to sleeping then, with luck, you should be able to just shush/pat him back off to sleep. I'd do that step for about a week and then try again with putting him straight in the crib with you lying or sitting next to it.

Good luck!

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with trying to CIO and being super consistent with it. The first 3 days are usually the worst and then it gets better. :hug:

5. twointheoven

twointheoven Well-Known Member

I was going to ask if he sleeps in the same room as his sister. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I know everyone and every situation is different. I have had it happen for a day or two in the past... I would do CIO, cold turkey. They have always been put in there cribs with no rocking or anything, and we leave the room. This is for naps and bedtime. They don't always go to sleep right away. When they were your kids ages, they would cry, fuss more (now it is more playing and talking). I always left them in there. The most I would ever do is go in once to give sippy cup and/or replace loveys/blankets thrown out of the crib. Sometimes one would fuss off an on for an hour and a half. If I knew they were safe, and fed, changed, etc... I would leave them. I have had times where one wouldn't sleep, but I didn't go in until the other woke up. Now, they are going through a phase where they play and talk in there cribs for sometimes up to an hour before they fall asleep, and sometimes don't even fall asleep. They don't really cry, which is weird. I have tried dropping naps, etc... but they end up cranky. So for now I am keeping the two naps. I let them have their rest time (or more my time LOL) and they can choose what to do with it, and everyone is happy.

Hope that helps, and GL! :)

6. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your feedback!! Starting tomorrow o will try to start sleeping in the room with him and then gradually placing him in the crib and then just him in the crib and me on the floor. If that will not fork for 2 weeks I will try CIO cold turkey. Thanks so much! Now I have a game plan :)

7. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I hope it works out for you, let us know how it goes!