Registry recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by SC, Jul 28, 2009.

1. SC

SC Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,

I am now 17w3d pregnant with ID twin boys! I need to start my registry in the next week or two and am feeling overwhelmed by the task. I have no idea where to start. These are our first babies and we have no experience with any of this. I was thinking of starting off with Consumer Reports or something where I can get recommendations for safe, quality products.
    I am sure you ladies have many, many great recommendations of what you like/don't like, what is quality/what is not.... Please share with me what you'd recommend for some of the bigger items like cribs/sleepers, car seats, strollers, high chairs, bedding, etc.... And, please feel free to share your suggestions for items I really need 2 of vs. just 1.
    I really appreciate it. Thank you so much from a newbie!!!

SC

2. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I found a book called "Baby Bargains" by Alan and Denise Fields an invaluable resource; I don't agree with their logic 100% of the time, but I'd say it's pretty good 95% of the time. They take customer service and safety into account, as well as features (whether or not they're useful, etc.) worth paying for. It's a great book! Looking at Consumer Reports ratings is good, too, but not nearly as thorough as the Baby Bargains book.

3. pittmane

pittmane Well-Known Member

Congrats on your identical boys! That's what we're having, too. Very exciting!

As far as books go, I LOVE "Baby Bargains" - waaaay better than Consumer Reports (though I look at them, too) and they have a list of some things you should have on your registry. Edited to add their website - they've got forums, too, though they're not always all that active: http://www.windsorpeak.com/babybargains/

These are some of the recommendations I got from other twin moms and from my sister (not a twin mom):
    • Stroller: Baby Trend Double Snap N Go - this one uses your car seats, so no moving babies from car seat to stroller
      One crb to start (they can sleep together for 4-6 months)
      3 sets of sheets per crib (one on the crib, one in the wash, one ready to go on the crib)
      1 crib mattress pad per crib
      One Ultimate Crib Sheet per crib (this is one that is flat, has plastic-y backing and goes on top of the regular sheet; this way, when your babies poop up to their armpits in the middle of the night, you just move the baby peel off that sheet and voila - underneath is a clean regular sheet - no woken baby, no wrestling with the mattress to change sheets.
      LOTS of receiving blankets and/or swaddle-me's (I probably have 12)
      Cloth diapers to use for burp cloths
      1-2 big hooded towels per baby (I've only got one per baby)
      As far as clothes go, I've been told not to register for clothes because the store can't guarantee that what you want will be in stock when people come in.
      Contour diaper changing pad and at least 2 covers for it.
      cloth/plastic diaper changing pads (the kind that are just flat like you'd pack in a diaper bag) to put on the contour pad - just another barrier.
      One bouncer, one swing - find out what each baby likes and maybe you'll be set already; otherwise, you won't have wasted $$ on buying two of something they don't like.
    Hmmmm....I'm not thinking of much - you can look at my registry to see what we put on there - here's a link:
    http://www.toysrus.com/ControllerServlet?searchBy=registrant&defLName=Pittman&defFName=Erin&defCity=&defState=MD&maidenName=&maidFName=&maidCity=&maidState=&registryNumber=&target=search&userType=giftGiver&searchForPerson=primReg&whereTo=viewRegistry&firstName=Erin&lastName=Pittman&city=&state=MD&submit.x=70&submit.y=13
    We didn't put cribs or strollers on there because they were purchased and/or given to us by various relatives and Twin Moms. We will probably add high chairs soon because I know my MIL wants to have a post-birth shower for us.

4. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Baby Bargains is fantastic. FWIW, I got a lot of equipment used through my twin club and Craigslist. I got two used cribs (recommended by Baby Bargains - Sorelle) and used mattresses. I was OK with the used mattresses because I wrapped them with a special SIDS cover. The one I used is called Baby Safe. I think it's more important than having a new mattress, so I'm passing that along.

For the big, new items, I did find a Mountain Buggy Urban Double stroller on Craigslist, but it was hard. I bought a new one from my mom off eBay. We love them. Although we used second hand infant seats, we did buy 4!!! Britax Marathons new. Huge investment, but they are great seats and will last a long time. Wish I had started with them. The babies hated their bucket seats after a few months, although I loved the Snap n Go. Finally, I'm a big fan of our twin feeding table. You won't use it until 5 months old, but it's a great alternative to high chairs.

Some new things are great, but it's better to save money (even gift $) where you can and get the big items that will make life easier!

Best wishes!

5. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Well, I can give you some advice on what not to register for, because they are not safe:

drop-side cribs
    crib blankets/comforters
    infant positioners
    crib bumpers
    walkers
    bath seats
    high chairs with wide legs that you can trip over

While many people have used these items successfully, others have found their babies dead after using them. IMO, not worth the risk. There's a lot of safety info at www.consumerreports.org.

6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I loved "Baby Bargains" and the reviews on BRU's website. I would start with the big stuff (strollers, carseats, pack n' plays) and just make a wishlist as you go. I just went category by category, item by item, and looked at all the options and read reviews and made decisions that way.

Some thoughts - a lot of people love Snap and Gos, but don't completely eliminate a tandem stroller from consideration. We still use our tandem for stores b/c they get bored and annoy each other in the SBS. It's nice to have the variety.

I would get two cribs - we separated ours at 2 months. We were lucky to find two floor models that matched. Get a nice dresser that you can put a changing table topper on, and they can use it for their entire childhood. Get a little bookcase - you will be amazed how many books you accumulate quickly. Finally, get a glider/rocker for the nursery. I LOVED LOVED LOVED having one.

I would get two PNPs - they can share at first, but you hit the weight limit quick. Also, don't underestimate the joy of some of the bells and whistles on those things - changing table, diaper holder, wipes dispenser. We had one in our basement that was a nap location/changing table/diaper holder for months. Fabulously convenient. Now, they sleep in them when we travel.

Don't overbuy receiving blankets/cloth diapers/crib sheets/crib sheet protectors. Ours weren't reflux babies, and we never had a lot of crib sheet changes - basically just once every 1-2 weeks. I have four sets of sheets and could totally do with 2. We also have about 20 receiving blankets, and I know a bunch have never been used. Get a package of receiving blankets and a package of cloth diapers. On the other hand, get a TON of terry cloth bibs (you want ones with a plastic type layer in the middle - the Carter's ones (at least the ones from when mine were little which weren't terry cloth) suck - the velcro will not stay closed and they are not absorbent). We loved cheapo terry cloth types.

Consider foam mattresses (super, super, super easy to change the sheets because they are very light - and they are very safe for babies).

I would recommend 2 bouncies from the start. We also ended up with 2 swings.

Don't register for clothes - just let people buy what they want - they will anyway.

We barely ever used our changing table topper - and I was totally a person who thought I'd never change them on the floor!

Register for starter sets of a couple different types of bottles so you can figure out what you like if you are FF.

You don't need high chairs, convertible carseats, jumperoos right away.

Actual brands - we've been happy with Graco items - we have a Quattro Tour Double stroller, we had Snugride infant seats, we had Graco PNPs (again, the deluxe ones are FABULOUS!). For a swing, LOVE the Fisher Price papasan cradle swing. Bouncies - just make sure it bounces and vibrates. If the song doesn't completely drive you bonkers, that's a plus. We got sheet sets (3 flannel sheets per set) from Pottery Barn, and I looooove them - very soft. We have Chicco high chairs that we love - easy to clean, come in different colors. We have a Dutalier glider that is expensive, but beautiful and sturdy and we can use it forever. Order early - they can take up to 12 weeks to arrive.

7. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

I liked Baby Bargains as well for reviews on different brands, etc.

I registered for the Graco twins bassinet/pack-n-play. I was not impressed by it at all. I should have registered for 2 pack-n-plays, with at least one with a changing pad, rather than one that was $200! Here is what I have and don't recommend: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2400926

I registered for the Graco Duoglider tandem stroller. It accepts two Graco Snugride infant seats. I really liked it when the babies were 0-12 months old. Their infant seats snapped in easily, then around 6 months I started to put them directly in the stroller. Now they often squirm and wiggle and scream and try to get out of the stroller. Since it only has a 3 point harness (a waist strap only), they can squirm and wiggle a little too much for my comfort. On the plus side, it was only $130 and we have definitely gotten our money's worth out of it.

We have the Fisher Price Space Saver high chairs. Love them!!! They strap onto a regular dining chair and cost about half the price of a typical high chair. I've washed the seat covers multiple times and they still look brand new. I didn't start using these until the twins were 8 months old so you don't need a high chair right away. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2508005

For bouncies and swings, we got the Graco 2-in-1 versions. I liked these because they eliminated the need for 4 things in my family room. The seat of the swing can be removed and works like a vibrating bouncy chair. I found that my twins liked the Fisher Price Aquarium bouncy chairs that they had at day care better though. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3443554

In the beginning, I used a lot of receiving blankets, but after the first few months, I never used them. So keep that in mind when registering for them.

We have 3 sheets per crib, which is a fine amount. My twins very rarely leak through their diapers so the sheets are mostly changed just once a week or so. We have 2 mattress pads per crib, which I recommend. That way you have one to put on when the other is being washed.

We used our baby bath tub, we most of the time we washed them in the kitchen sink. It was just easier than using the baby tub.

We received many hooded towels and I thought we had too many. Turns out, we used a lot of them! Maybe I just don't like to do much laundry, but we probably had 10 hooded towels and I felt like that was the right amount.

We bought 2 stationary side cribs from BRU. I really like the stationary sides over the drop sides. I think the whole crib just feels a lot sturdier. At only 5'3, I never had a problem with getting the kids in and out.

8. mattsara09

mattsara09 Member

My wife is a week ahead of you so we're in this same planning stage. FWIW, I wouldn't suggest buying the dresser that comes from the same manufacturer of your crib. I think they are overpriced (USA Baby brands are $600-1000, BabiesRUs slightly cheaper) and less functional than what you can find at regular furniture stores. Most are 3-6 drawers and maybe a door. We bought a dresser at Ikea for $280 that has 8 good-sized drawers and is perfect height for diaper changing. (we have a few Ikea pieces left over from our single days, and found they actually hold up pretty well). If you don't want to look like you bought your whole nursery off the same catalog page then there are lots of options to consider.

I think my strategy mirrors the others when it comes to the PNPs and bouncers...multiple items spread around the house. For all the guys out there, I think the bouncers will be a godsend because you'll still be able to watch football and basketball games!

9. SC

SC Well-Known Member

I can't thank you ladies and gentleman enough for your ideas!
    They're SUPER helpful. I have printed them out and am going to start researching your suggestions.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, and with such detail!!!!!
    THANKS.

10. samimax

samimax Active Member

I just had to second the craigslist idea. We got our double snap and go for super cheap and a $800 dresser for $80!
    Have fun- try to do it in stages- DH and I got overwhelmed the first time and went back another day to finish. Also, start your registry on-line (if you're doing Babies R Us or somewhere similar) so you just have to get the gun at the store!

11. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Many people want this beautiful room with the perfect nursery yet often you will get at least one biter who will chew that lovely crib to bits and later you will want a perfect toddler bed. The change table gets used for the first couple of months when you can change them on the bed or in the crib... then they move around so much you HAVE to change them on the floor. They have these co-sleepers to put by the bed... heck a pack n play does the same job (one with a bassinet suspension).

I hated the diaper gene it was a pain, and a bag and regular garbage did the job. (I wrap all poop diapers in bags).

Love love love zippered sleepers. You want the BEST BEST zippered sleepers you can find. Something that will look great when you go out. You won't have time to put them in great two peice outfits. At night all those buttons are a pain. Also check that the buttons are easy, some hurt to press. (double that and ouch) Carters has quite a few of cotton clothes they could sleep in and be comfy. Buy very little clothes that need to be IRONED, you won't have time.

some babies are different sizes so be prepared.

Robeez shoes stay on, Carters and Osh gosh have socks that stay on.

I loved my Moses basket to put a baby during naps, or to carry them downstairs, etc.

The best and easiest video camera and camera -- pictures and video are the MOST important.

Ask for larger sizes too, it is nice to have some size 2 to look forward to.

If you have an IKEA their high chairs are the best -- cheap and so easy to clean. Those other ones have all those grooves to clean out. One wipe and they are clean, or for travel.

Must read a good sleep book -- I recommend Healthy sleep habits happy child and Happiest baby on the block (DVD) no use having a perfect nursery and two awake babies.

good luck

Heather

12. caba

caba Banned

I think registering is hard, because of this thread exactly! So many differing opinions, and what works for one mom doesn't work for others!

I had 2 cribs, 1 dresser, and 1 changing table from the get go. We bought matching bedding (Pooh) and used bumpers ... We also loved our wipes warmer, which a lot of people didn't like or use. We also STILL use our changing table, and my kids are 2.5.

We got 2 playmats, 2 bouncy seats, 2 swings, 2 high chairs, an exersaucer, a jumperoo, 2 infant car seats, 1 Snap and Go, 1 Graco Duoglider. We had 2 baby baths, and LOVED our bath seats when they moved up to sitting in the big bath tub. I've never heard they are unsafe, and can't imagine why they would be.

I would get 2 cribs from the get go. But I've heard people who still have their twins together at like 18 months. So again, it all depends on you and your kids. We got only 1 PNP, but luckily someone gave us a 2nd one used ... and we use it all the time ... it's great for going on vacatoin or spending the night at grandma's.

I didn't think I needed boppy pillows since I wasn't planning on breastfeeding, and I thought that was what they were for. I was crazy wrong. We bought two and used them every single day ... the kids loved just lounging in them.

We also went with the full size high chairs, because we do have a big kitchen, and had the room for them. Many people love the space saver ones ... we were given as a hand me down 2 of those travel high chairs, so we had them to take with us if we needed to go anywhere.

We got 3 sheets for each crib, and a couple waterproof mattress pads ... good for vomit incidents.

We used a ton of receiving blankets ... and we loved and still love our diaper genie. It's the only thing that really traps the smell. I can't imagine not having one, unless I want to empty garbages every day. And I don't want to!

I will say that we got both swings for our shower, but only opened one. So many people say that there kids don't like swings, and they were expensive! So I figured let me see if they even like them ... they LOVED them ... so we opened up the 2nd one. We loved the FP Rainforest one that plugged in! No need to worry about batteries! It does take batteries if you want to use them ... but I loved the convenience of just plug and start!

We knew from the start we wanted to use Dr Brown's bottles ... so we bought only those, and never had an issue with the kids accepting them ... I never did the buy a whole bunch of different ones thing. We bought 24 8oz bottles ... don't bother with the smaller size, there is no need. They just become useless when your child takes more formula.

Good luck! Registering is very overwhelming. Take it in spurts ... don't try to do it all in one day!

1 person likes this.