Relocating postpartum

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by chicagomama, Feb 24, 2013.

1. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

Has anyone been in a transition when having a baby or babies? My husband are I are considering relocating from Chicago to Boston to be closer to family. I want my current OB to delivery my next set of twins (due 8/4) and I want to get situated for my daughter to start kindergarten on time (end of August). Given that twins are not allowed to go past 38 weeks, I am thinking a July 20ish delivery at the latest. Does it seem like an unrealistic plan to relocate within that postpartum period? We would have much support when we arrive in Boston, just need to get there. Would obviously hire lots of help to get through the move. This is my second set of twins and we moved last time when my twins were 5 months old and I found that relatively manageable. Does this sound do-able, has anyone ever moved around this period or does it sound unrealistic?

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would try to move before they were born.

We moved 1200 miles when my third was 3 months old and it was extremely stressful. We did not have a choice about the time frame, though. Because he was so small, I had no time to pack, very little time to get everything in order - we had to rent our house, find a new house in Florida, etc. It was just super stressful trying to get everything ready for the move. Granted I also had about 8 weeks notice that we had to move, my Husband was gone for 5 of those 8 weeks and I had no help. We did have a moving company though, which to me is a million times more stressful than us doing it. And then we had to drive that 1200 miles. With 3 kids (one who ate every 2 hours), 2 cats & 2 cars.

I do know someone who recently moved across the country with 2 month old twins, but I believe they took a plane and had family drive their vehicles.

3. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

One of my friends moved with an infant but I moved when I was about 37 weeks PG. I think it is much easier to move while fully pregnant although I definitely see the hesitation to change providers and put that extra stress on you during pregnancy. And my move was really just a mile so I kept my same doctor so really a poor comparison. Moving where you have more support sounds great, though.

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We moved about 1.5 hours away when I was 32 weeks pregnant with my oldest DS. It was fairly simple, but we had no other children! ;)

5. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

We moved from NJ to FL when I was 34 weeks preg with my ODD. We packed everything ourselves but hired a moving company to move all our stuff and flew here. My dad and brothers drove down our car when my ODD was born to come see her and they flew back. Friends' of ours here are snowbirds, they were up in NY and they lent us their house and second car until we found our apartment, had our stuff delivered, unpacked, etc. Our plan was to be completely settled in before the baby was born, but in the end things went a little crazy- our apartment first turned out to have a mold problem and then a bad leak and we ended up having the baby while still living at the snowbirds' house, living there for 10 more days till they came home, then moving to another set of friends' house and living there for a week till our apartment was ready. It was extremely stressful, to say the least, but we survived. Although I would imagine it would have been several more times stressful with more kids in the mix.

I would weigh all the possible options and then decide which will work best for your situation. Perhaps your support in Boston can facilitate having everything largely organized for you there, whether you move pre- or post- the birth? Could you send your husband ahead of you with your older kids to get everything set up? I think there are lots of possibilities and you could probably find a way to have your cake and eat it too :)

6. bayoubaloo

bayoubaloo Active Member

I wouldn't hold up the move solely so your current OB can deliver you. There's no guarantee that will happen if you deliver at an unplanned time. Why not get situated early, get ready for school, find new pediatrician, etc and enjoy the help in Boston?

We are expecting twins no later than April 26 and will have to move 10 weeks later to a new house. I wish we could move now, but the owner can't move till then and we love the house so we are under contract. It will be so chaotic. We expect our house to sell quickly as the market out here is really tight so our Realtor plans to put our current house on the market the first week of May. The twins will be newborns, it will not be fun and then we will have to pack etc in June. And I have a toddler to take care of too, so told DH we may have to hire packers even. Really wish we could move tomorrow and be all set in new home. I think if you move early, you will be glad you did. But if your OB is the primary consideration, then I don't think the move after they are born is impossible, just may be hard when you have your hands full.

7. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

Since posting this and actually weighing in on the feedback with my husband we are leaning toward relocating before the babies come. That does seem the better option though any move comes with complications. For those who moved late and switched providers, was it difficult to find someone willing to take you on so late in your pregnancy?