Reoccurring colds!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by w101ttd, Sep 23, 2012.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Hi ladies! Since July, my daughter got on and off with the colds. She got it very bad and ended up with antibiotics. She just got off her antibiotics for 2 days. And she got a cold again. I'm so tired of it. I feel like she had been sick for months. When she is sick, she still plays aand acts 80% normal, just had runny noses. But then it develops a cough after that. The doc said she might have baby asthma (runny noses trigger the cough). Does any of your kids have this issue? I will have to take her back to doc again tomorrow.

I know they are still not supposed to take cold/flu meds. I bought some all natural cough/cold meds. But it doesn't seem to work well. What does/do work for your kids? Is there any special way I could do to prevent her from catching cold more often? Besides, dress her up in layers, socks,... Well they go to daycare so I can't expect too much even we wash hands like crazy :(. Tia!

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

:( That sounds awful, I'm sorry. Poor girl.

We don't take any antibiotics for colds. If the cough keeps them up at night we do take a cough medicine that the doctor calls in for us (because I get nervous about dosing for kids, too) but that's it.

I hope she's just getting all the crud out of her system and is better soon.

3. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Do they take probiotics? Last year when my boys had just turned 3, we had 3 out of the 4 first months of the year with them being on antibiotics. Two were for ear infections and the other time was for strep.

Shortly after I started them on Buddy Bear Probiotics and except for some minor colds that lasted less than a week, they've been healthy. They were in for their 4 year well visit in January and we have not see their Dr. since.

Might be worth checking into.

4. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

You could try boosting her daily Vitamin C intake, lots of citrus fruits, oranges, grapefruits, lemons, tomatoes, broccoli, garlic etc - you can also get children's Vitamin C in a chewy tablet form - they're very yummy. Also see if you can get Fish Oil supplements (although not particularly for colds but just a good boost of Omega 3's). My older DD loves them and they also come in different flavours (thank goodness!) and are chewy. Basically anything to boost her immune system will help prevent her catching these colds/runny noses. Maybe pop down to your local health food store and ask what they have that they could recommend. (I also add Flax seed oil to a lot of foods to add some lacking nutrition when we haven't had enough fish that week).

When she has a runny nose, you could also try nasal drops (they are just saline) and this will help dry up her nasal passages so that it doesn't travel to her lungs or ears.

Here in Australia, this year, all cough suppressants are now labelled for 12 years and older as research has found that it doesn't have any effect (other than sedating) and can in fact, be harmful in some instances for infants and young children (I know mums who still use it though and swear by it but I've never been one to dose anyway soo..)

5. w101ttd

Thanks ladies. I started giving them probiotics and natural cold/cough liquid daily. They got better without eat/sinus infection.They do take multi vitamins and omega daily. My daughter doesnt like the probiotics candy's taste. So I mix the powder probiotics in her milk, and she doesnt complain. Its a pain, but whatever works. My kids eat a lot of veggies and fruits. I am sure they intake a lot of C every day. But still they got sick. I kindda feel like sickness is a part of their growth lol. Thank you so much ladies!

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm actually going to suggest allergies rather than sickness. All 4 of my kids (and myself) have allergies, and we are all on a daily allergy pill to control it. First symptoms, runny nose, which can trigger a cough because of sinus drainage. After too long it can turn into a sinus infection.

I can try taking my kids off their allergy meds and within 2-3 days they have a runny nose again. So we stay on them year round.

1 person likes this.
  7. w101ttd

You know what..I forgot to mention that Michelle is on allergy med for almost a month. one of the docs (not their main pedi) prescribed it. She thought Michelle had allergy. But really, it does seem helkp a bit, not much at all. She still got sick, but not that sick. Her main pedi said that let her finish up the med and stop for a month, then we'll see how it goes, if the med really works or not. I dont have allergy. But my husband does. They dont get it that bad anymore. But if they have runny noses for about 2 weeks, it will develop to ear infection or cough then we have to start on antibiotics. Iam so tired of giving them that stuff. I hate it. :spiteful: