Report Card time :)

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by sharongl, Nov 20, 2008.

1. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Marcus and Jonathan got their first report cards yesterday. Marcus earned all "E"'s and "M"'s--M's are given in "encores" like handwriting, PE, Art, Music, Technology, and Spanish. Jonathan did the same except for one S+ in Social Studies--they alternate Science and Social Studies, so he only had one test and got 1 wrong, so we aren't concerned about it:)

Needless to say, both boys are doing great!

Next?

2. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

Congratulations to them both, I will update later as we don't get ours till a week on friday.

Just a little question what are "M" and "E"'s we still go with the ABC here.

3. sharongl

Sorry, for the encores, they use M and NI--which are meets expectations and needs improvements.

For the academic subjects, they get E--excellent, S+, S, and S---S stands for Satisfactory. U--unsatisfactory, and NI once again Needs Improvement/failing.

4. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

Way to go Marc and Jon!

We got ours last week. Lets see if I can get this straight.
    E-Exceeds standards and expectations
    P-Proficient (working at grade level-meeting standards)
    M-Making progress toward standards (usually at grade level-with a new skill)
    I-Improvement needed skills inconsistent produces below grade level
    N-not assessed at this point

Holly had mostly E's and P's They also grade student responsibility and she recieved mostly 4's which are consistently demonstrates the responsibility, with a couple 3's meanint usually demonstrates the responsibility. I'm impressed!

Cassie had mostly P's, with a couple E's and one M in geometry. She also recieved mostly 4's with a few 3's. Pretty good. She was assesed a grade for her spelling (Holly wasn't) and it was an E! This is something she works hard on.

5. sharongl

Great job, Cassie and Holly!

6. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Annie is in K and met all of the standards (counting to 20, IDing letters/sounds, etc.) She is also reading at the level they want the kids to be at when they leave K, so she's doing great there.

But I am even happier that she is respectful in class (we have issues with that at home), shares, pays attention in class, and that sort of thing. That's very important to me, that's something she can control!

7. sharongl

Jen, good for Annie!

It also isn't unusual for them to have better behavior at school than at home.

8. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It also isn't unusual for them to have better behavior at school than at home.

Oh, I know this! She's an angel at school and (almost) 6 going on 16 with her attitude at home. She only tests the ones she loves!

9. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

it's great everyone is doing so well. we have some proud mommys here.

Both my girls are doing great in K. They both met or exceeded in all areas (we got their report cards about 3wks ago so I can't remember exactly what they had on them since we sent them back in).

QUOTE(Jen620 @ Nov 21 2008, 01:53 AM) [snapback]1079930[/snapback]
    Annie is in K and met all of the standards (counting to 20, IDing letters/sounds, etc.) She is also reading at the level they want the kids to be at when they leave K, so she's doing great there.

But I am even happier that she is respectful in class (we have issues with that at home), shares, pays attention in class, and that sort of thing. That's very important to me, that's something she can control!

My one daughter is like this too and it is nice to know that she can be good in school. I just wish sometimes she could act like that at home too. She is very hard to handle sometimes at home. But I rather it be at home then at school.

10. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

We have all sorts of wacky letter grades, too. Hayden and Brady both got the equivalent of As and Bs across the board. Brady's reading at a 3rd grade level -- haven't heard about Hayden's level yet.

At last report, Jackson had pulled up some of his poorer grades, although I haven't seen the official report card yet. However, he did awesome on his standardized tests and is well above the state and district averages and pretty much in line with what his peers at school are doing. Since it's an accelerated school, the expectations are quite a bit higher, and I'm pleased with his progress.

11. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I hope you don't mind my jumping in here -- I mostly post in 1-4 about my twins, but my older DD Nadia will be 5 in January.

She'll start K next fall -- I recently had to take her for some testing, required for private school admission here. It's the Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence III test, in case anyone is familiar with it.

Anyhow, turns out her verbal and performance IQ is 142, and her full scale IQ is 138 -- all of which are in the 99th percentile. Average is about 100.

The psychologist said she sees very, very few kids per year like Nadia, and gave me some ideas about how to keep her stimulated and challenged during school. She even suggested we might consider having her skip a grade in the future, especially because she's already reading at a 2nd-grade level. I'm unsure how to feel about that. We'll cross that bridge later...

Anyhow, I'm obviously so proud, but I'm also aware that we didn't have a whole lot to do with it -- the psychologist said that kids like this are pretty much born with innate abilities. :)

Thanks for letting me share!

12. sharongl

You definately have a bright girl there! Seeing that her birthday is in January, skipping a grade if warrented, wouldn't be horrible, she wouldn't be too far from the youngest in the class, unlike Jonathan who would be 1-2 years younger than anyone in the grade above due to his June birthday. That said, I am not big on the idea of skipping, and there are ways to extend and enhance her learning without it.

13. BGTwins97

BGTwins97 Well-Known Member

Okay, my turn. :)

Both kids had great report cards. In math they (and one or two other students depending on the unit) have been given a pre-algebra book to work their way through in the hall instead of doing the curriculum that the rest of the class is doing, and they're doing a more advanced reading curriculum as well. Socially, they are class leaders (they were elected the two student council reps for their class -- luckily there are TWO slots and not only one!), and their teacher says that they do a good job of leading quietly by example.

But I want to add how proud I am of my DS for one thing in particular that was related to me: in gym one day, he was a team captain and thus one of the two kids doing the dreaded choosing-of-kids for teams. My son is athletic (not my genes!) and competitive. People were surprised when his first choice was a rather awkward child in the class who struggles a bit in many aspects of life. When tactfully asked later what had guided his choices, DS answered that he had chosen A first because A hadn't ever been chosen first before, and in fact was often one of the last ones picked. He thought it would make him feel good to be chosen first.

I am SO proud of DS for this sort of compassion. :wub: