Returning to work?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Lou_1, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Lou_1

Lou_1 Member

So, I have to return to work soon. I wanted to ask anybody who knows about short term disability pay. I received 6 weeks of pay. My question is, will I have to repay it if I let my employer know that I am not returning? I've searched online and can't find a consistent answer. DH and I already decided I will be staying home with our girls. The question now is if I go ahead and resign now, or go back to work for a month then put in my notice. I really wanted to leave my job on good terms. Right now though, I don't care about that any more. Just thinking that my babies will be in someone else's care (for the month, if I go back) for 8+ hours just kills me. Wish I had my momma nearby. I would feel completely comfortable leaving them with grandma.

Sorry I kind of went off track. So much on my mind right now. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Lou_1

Lou_1 Member

***If I do have to repay it would be near $1,600. Would hate to just shell that out. It's not pocket change for us.

3. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

I don't know all the rules, but I took my standard 12 week leave, and then gave my notice. I didn't pay anything back. I knew when I was pregnant I would not be returning. But you have the right to change your mind at any time, so no one can hold your decision against you for waiting to make sure.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would advise to check with your HR dept about your options. They should be able to tell you.

5. ward

ward Well-Known Member

short term disability pay is not something you have to pay back since its provided by the state. Although you may wanna make sure with your job that you don't have to return for at least 30 days for insurance purposes. I know with my job you HAVE to return for at least 30 days other wise you have to pay them back the portion of medical insurance they paid.

6. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

7. Lou_1

Lou_1 Member

Thank you all for your comments! I am going to go ahead and go speak to my manager on Monday. Face time will be best rather then an email or phone call. As far as the insurance premiums..... I don't have to worry about that! My husband is military so I have never had to pay for coverage through any employer :ibiggrin:

Thanks again to all of you!