rolling over, sleeping, and scaring mommy to death

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jschiess, Jul 14, 2008.

1. jschiess

jschiess Well-Known Member

One of my boys just learned to roll from back to front. The trouble is he can't go the other way (front to back); so he gets stuck and cries. This is all fine and dandy when we're playing because I'm happy to help him up onto his side (trying to help him figure out how to get there on his own). However, now he's started doing it in his crib. His brother is having some STTN regression issues right now; so I was in there several times overnight, and every time, T was sleeping on his face. He wasn't crying or anything; but he had clearly rolled over and was asleep with his face down. This terrifies me. I wish he would at least turn his head. When I flip him back over he whimpers and starts to roll over again.

He's super active in the crib--I often find him 180 degrees turned from the way I lay him down; so I'm afraid to put anything in the crib with him like a rolled up blanket to keep him from rolling.

Anyone have any experience/ideas?

He's 4 months old.

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

Do you have a sleep positioner? Maybe this will help him, even though he's very active :hug99: .

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Mine did this when they first learned to roll. They only could roll back to front, but not front to back, so DH and I spent a couple sleepless nights rolling them back over. All I did was work on how to roll back during the day. Of course once they learned to roll from stomach to back they didn't do it the way I was teaching them, so I have NO idea if helping them actually helped.

4. bstone716

bstone716 Well-Known Member

Mine do this too. It still freaks me out, but everytime I've checked on them, they've had plenty of air to breathe. Not really sure what to tell you to do, but wanted you to know that I'm right there with you!

5. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

IF they can roll they are strong enough to lift their head if they can't breathe even if they can't roll back yet. Also a FYI- SIDS % drops dramatically after 4 mo. Once mine could roll they would roll back and forth all night long. Don't you do the sam thing?

6. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

Ahh yes I remember this PHASE and how terrifying it was. You will be exhausted but there is a turn around (sorry for the pun) when they learn to roll both ways. And if they do roll and are quiet just leave them.

7. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

We had the same issues with dd and ds learned to roll from back to tummy. They did that almost everytime we laid them down for nap or for bedtime, and then ds would cry, so we did spend a few days flipping him back over, as we were worried. And, during the day we tried to practice rolling the other way. In the end we did just leave him when he flipped over, and he did cry a bit, but now is a great tummy sleeper!
    Both of mine sleep sometimes with their head directly in the mattress, but if you have a firm mattress with no blankets etc to get caught in, they should be fine. Plus, at this time they are probably lifting their head so they could move it if they wanted to.
    GL