Roseola and twins/siblings?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by greatexpectations, Apr 15, 2007.

1. greatexpectations

greatexpectations Well-Known Member

Hello all,

It's been a rough week in our house. One girl has had a high fever (102.4 and above) for 4 straight days with the only other symptoms being fussy and hardly eating/drinking. She has been checked twice for ear infections and they also ruled out strep and bladder infection. She appears to have swollen glands and a red throat ... and she may have roseola, but her twin, so far, isn't showing ANY of these symptoms. The only thing I can tell right now is that the twin is now starting to not drink very much, as of today.

Anyone experienced with Roseola? If so, how long did it take for any siblings to get it? How long did fever last? Could this be something else that you know of?

Any insight would be helpful. I'm going crazy trying to figure out what the problem is. We know that if she still has a fever tomorrow they are going to want to start running blood work on her to find out if there is something more going on. She is so not herself. She plays for short bursts, in a much less animated way than usual, and then she wants to sleep.

I'm very sad. Please help. Thanks.

2. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

Hi - DD had roseola (high fever, fussy and listless for 3-4 days, then a bad rash that started on her face and proceeded to her torso and arms, but never bothered her). But DS never got it.

Hope she feels better soon!

3. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Same here. Will got it but Matt never did.

4. valentinetwins

valentinetwins Well-Known Member

Hi, my DD got roseola last year and got through it fine. DS never got it. They share and room and everything so I thoroughly expected him to get it but he never did. Good Luck.

5. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Yes. Josh had roseola last Spring. He had high fevers for 2-4 days up to 104 with no other symptoms at all. Sounds just like what your kiddo has.Then the fever finally broke and he got a rash all over his front and back that did not bother him at all. That lasted maybe 2-3 days? Then he was done. Zach never got it! Nor did my big girl! I hope the other twink does not get it either.

Hang in there! :)

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Jessy got it but Jazz never did hope yours are the same way!

7. candctwinfactory

candctwinfactory Well-Known Member

Chloe got it, fever for a few days, then rash... Then about 3 weeks later Cole got it. They share a lot of sippy cups so I figured that is how it got passed. I ended up calling our oncall nurse when Cole got it because he ended up breaking out in the rash on the top of his head first. Chloe's rash was all over her tummy and back, but very speratic dots.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that Amy had it. She had a fever (not super high, around 101) for a few days and then suddenly seemed to feel all better, and then next day broke out with a rash that lasted about 2 days. The ped agreed that it sounded like roseola, but since we didn't think of that until she got the rash, he said there was no need to see her at that point because it was effectively already over. When she had the fever, she had no other symptoms, but she was very lethargic. She would just sit limply in my lap and let me read to her but would not even try to turn the pages. It seemed to fluctuate -- she was better in the morning but worse in the afternoon.

Sarah never got it, or if she did, she had such a mild case that we didn't even realize it. (This apparently happens often, since nearly all kids have been exposed by the time they reach kindergarten age, yet not all of them have diagnosable cases.)

9. cajuntwinmom

cajuntwinmom Well-Known Member

Ours got it last year. My son got it first then about a week later my daughter got it. The fever lasted about 3 days and broke all of a sudden then the rash came on. I just gave benadryl for the rash but the pedi said it shouldn't really itch them. By the time his rash was gone, Madison starting running fever and being really lethargic, her fever only lasted about a day or day and a half, but like I said, the rash came after and it stayed about a week. It starts on their trunks then spreads.

Hopefully it's not roseola or that only one twin gets it, but then again I would take that over a stomach bug or even an ear infection because once the fever breaks, they are back to normal.