Roseola?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, Mar 31, 2009.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have joined the looney bin. Seriously. Nicholas got a fever on Saturday when he got up from nap. The highest it was was 102.5. It didn't go below 101.3 until yesterday, when it finally broke. He has been extremely cranky, irritable, etc.

We were supposed to have a playdate with a friend today-I was looking forward to it as dh is gone all day today and I am alone and a change of scenery is needed.

Of course, as luck would have it, Nicholas wakes up with a rash. His neck, forehead, stomach, and back. He is beyond miserable-cranky, crying for NO reason, etc. If I touch him-he flips out. Now of course-he is fine. But you never know how long that is going to last.

So I looked up roseola and I think it may be that. The fever was Sat-Mon and then the rash today. Apparently the rash shows up after the fever has broken. I was losing it this morning-crying along with him-but he did stop long enough to look at me as if to ask, "What's wrong mommy?"

So-were your kids miserable if they had it? How long did the rash typically last? I think I just need a break of some sort at this point!

2. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Hope Nicholas is feeling better soon!
    It is frustrating when you are more than ready to get out, do something, and then you are stuck at home.
    Happened to us yesterday.
    I feel bad for them when they are sick but I also feel bad for myself LOL

Dianna

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Sounds like Roseola to me. Derek had that last year. Classic high fever that broke and then the red-lacey rash started on his neck and down is abdomen. It really didnt bother him at all. I think the rash lasted for about 3 days. It is very contagious although none of my other kids got it.

4. megkc03

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 31 2009, 08:16 AM) [snapback]1251940[/snapback]
    Sounds like Roseola to me. Derek had that last year. Classic high fever that broke and then the red-lacey rash started on his neck and down is abdomen. It really didnt bother him at all. I think the rash lasted for about 3 days. It is very contagious although none of my other kids got it.

Great! <_<

I did read that though...The best part is there is nothing they can do for it. Sometimes I want to just take him to the pedi to get a diagnosis so I KNOW something is wrong and know exactly what it is!

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls had it when they were about 5 months old. Once the fever broke and the rash appeared they looked awful, but acted better. The rash lasted about a week... and just as the rash was clearing up for the first girl who got it, the second girlie got the fever. Ug. I hope you all are feeling better soon. :hug:

6. megkc03

QUOTE(Leighann @ Mar 31 2009, 08:24 AM) [snapback]1251953[/snapback]
    My girls had it when they were about 5 months old. Once the fever broke and the rash appeared they looked awful, but acted better. The rash lasted about a week... and just as the rash was clearing up for the first girl who got it, the second girlie got the fever. Ug. I hope you all are feeling better soon. :hug:

:crazy:
    I'm hoping Anthony doesn't get it-but it seems inevitable. I guess get it all now before Easter next weekend, right? Trying to look on the bright side of things!

The good thing is that Nicholas seems to be out of his little funk right now-so I'm now doing better myself!

7. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

OUrs had it once but after the fever and once they had the rash they were acting like normal again
    hope he is better soon.

8. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Oh, roseola was horrible. Only Conner got it (shockingly), but he was downright miserable for a good few days. Once the rash hit, he did MUCH better. Hopefully Nicholas feels better soon! We never went to the Ped for diagnosis since I knew what it was, but I did call & the only thing they recommended was Motrin & to keep him hydrated.

I hope things perk up for you soon. Last winter my boys were sick ALL winter. I went crazy. I missed so much work & spent SO much on doctor visits! Thankfully they got a lot of it out of their system last winter, since this winter is significantly better. Of course, both are sick now...a day before Conner is slated for surgery to get tubes put in! Perfect timing, huh?

9. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

10. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

We're another set that only one got it. DOn't know how on earth I got that lucky.... but I even ended up taking B to the ER b/c his fever was up in the 105 range and I couldn't keep it down. They gave him all sorts of abx, then the day after the fever broke, the rash showed up. Took him to the ped to make sure it wasn't an allergic reaction. She said it was roseola and the abx were completely uneeded. Great. :rolleyes: :angry: I think he was pretty fussy w/ the rash, but nothing major. He was much worse off with that massively high fever.

ALso, on Dr. Sears' site it says roseola is one of the very few rashes to come AFTER the fever breaks, so that should give you a good indication! :) Hope he feels better soon!

11. Lynner405

Lynner405 Well-Known Member

What your describing sounds exactly like roseola. All three of mine have had it, and they were HORRIBLE when they had the fever. They all were extrememly cranky and pretty much cried non stop for a few days. Once the rash appeared their moods improved, and by the second day of the rash they were pretty much back to their old selves. I hate roseola...the only good thing is they can only get it once.

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We took our DD to the doctor yesterday and she has been having the high, spikey fever but no rash yet. The doctor told us to be on the lookout for it because that is what he thinks she has. He told us to keep pushing fluids, giving Tylenol and/or Motrin and that she will eat when she's ready (DD has been eating very little). I hope Nicholas feels better soon! I am really hoping my DS manages to avoid it!

13. megkc03

QUOTE(Lynner405 @ Mar 31 2009, 03:52 PM) [snapback]1252764[/snapback]
    What your describing sounds exactly like roseola. All three of mine have had it, and they were HORRIBLE when they had the fever. They all were extrememly cranky and pretty much cried non stop for a few days. Once the rash appeared their moods improved, and by the second day of the rash they were pretty much back to their old selves. I hate roseola...the only good thing is they can only get it once.

THANK GOODNESS!!!!

He was still a bit cranky, but he did have bursts of his old self today. After dinner, probably about 45 minutes until bedtime, he was his sweet sweet self. He was hugging me, sneaking up behind my back...gosh..it was so nice to see! And he was giggling, laughing, squealing! Of course it looked like the rash was worse...but I know if I call the pedi...exactly what they are going to say.

He's been eating, drinking, sleeping fine. Tomorrow is a new day(and dh is home)!