Runs Big or Runs Small

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sullivanre, Apr 6, 2010.

1. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

A few weeks back we had a good thread about shoes, and I realized in that thread that the brand differences in shoe size can be pretty big. So I'm curious what sizes you think run big/small/long/short? I'm talking about shirts, pants, shoes, onesies.

Here are my opinions about a few brands. I'd like to hear about other brands as well.

Carters--run big all around longer and wider for shirts, pants, and onsies

JCPenny Okie Dokie--pants run short, onsies seem to be average length, but wide, and the shirts are kind of short (with small necks)

Sears Toughskins--Pants run really long, and seem kind of narrow. Onesies were short and narrow, and the shirts seem to be midle of the road.

I'm curious what you think about Children's Place and some of the other brands.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Carters-I agree, definitely runs big. My DD is just fitting into their 18 month shorts at 27 months!
    Jumping Beans (from Kohls)...I find the shirts can be a little baggy but fit both of mine fine. The pants also seem to fit mine fine.
    Circo-I think they run a little small
    Baby Gap- Shirts seem to run true to size. For my two, I usually have to buy pants a size smaller.
    Gymboree-I have not tried
    Children's Place-I don't have much from them but what I do have seemed to run true to size.

3. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

All the Target brands run very small in my experience. Old Navy used to seem pretty accurate where my chunky 1st born is concerned, but lately their stuff seems to be smaller. Maybe it's just me but I've had to size up for the twins (who are very average in weight and height). In fact, I have new 6-12mo socks that are considerably smaller than their hand-me-down 3-6mo ones.

4. mommyto3boys

mommyto3boys Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the decsriptions already posted. On Jumping Beans (Kohls), as they get to bigger toddler sizes, I find the shirts run short (My 3 yr old needs a 4T shirt and 3T shorts/pants). The Children's Place runs a little large to me. My twins are still in 12 mth shirts there and 18 mth from everywhere else. Some Gymboree stuff runs big and some runs average. Shirts and shorts tend to run average, but I find their pants are a little baggy (even on my chunker!). Old Navy seems to run slim in their pants. I have had Old Navy jeans from DS1 that wouldn't go over the Matthew chunker thighs.

5. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

It's hard for me to generalize, because my guys are super long-waisted, slim, and short-legged. So they wear anywhere from 24 month-2T in tops, and about 12-18 month in bottoms. :huh:

I think it's interesting that most people here seem to find Carter's running big; in my experience Carter's is tiny!! I just bought Carter's jammies in 2T for my guys because everything else looked too small! :lol: I think Old Navy is fairly true-to-size; the 18-24 month shorts I just bought are ginormous on them, but the 2T shirts are just roomy enough to last through the summer (hopefully). Most other brands I buy seem to run large. Osh Kosh stuff is HUGE, especially the pants/overalls. My mother bought them some 18 month overalls last fall. They *still* don't fit. :blink:

6. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

My boys have long torsos and for body-length things have consistently fit best in Carter's about 2 sizes in advance of their actual age. They're currently wearing 24 months. They are wearing size 12 months shorts instead of pants because of their short legs.

7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add that I went to Costco at lunch the other day, and they had really cute UPF 50 swim sets for $15 (rash guard and trunks). I bought the 18 month size and the shirt was so small on Jack it looked like a crop-top, but the pants were huge! :wacko: I figured the price was so cheap that I bought another set in 2T figuring they could wear the 2T tops with the 18 month bottoms, then use the 2T bottoms at the end of the summer or even early next year. Maybe we'll put the 18 month tops on Craigslist. ;)

8. EricaM

EricaM Well-Known Member

I'll add Osh Kosh - their stuff (especially the overalls) seem to run pretty small. I'd size up at least one size.

(And my girls have always fit true to size - in fact, right now, at 17 months, they are, for the first time, going to move on to clothes sized "above" their age! We're moving into 18 month clothes now haha)

9. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

Gerber runs small.
    Carter runs little big.
    Children's Place runs...small on the footed pjs. great-slightly big on jeans.

don't forget some brands have elastic waists at 24 months but not in 2t. This has made a Big difference for us.