s/o How often to you bathe your preschoolers.

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Meximeli, May 22, 2008.

1. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I noticed on the PJ thread that some people said--they get new pijamas on bathnight.
    So that must not be everynight, right?
    How often do your toddlers and preschoolers get baths?

My get a bath everynight-but are pretty active and play outside everyday (we have the weather for that year round). However, I work and don't ever break a sweat most days (it's dry here so that helps) so I only shower myself every other day.

2. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

My girls get baths every other night. Unless they were outside and got extra dirty or ate spaghetti for dinner or something! :)

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have always given baths every other night here, unless for some reason they are really dirty.

4. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

My girls really only get a bath twice/week, unless they've had sunscreen or bugspray on. So I'm sure this summer will be more frequent.

They've got pretty sensitive skin, so it works for us!

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Every other day around here and we get clean PJ's on bath night as well!

6. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

My oldest gets a bath probably 5 nights a week, it's not every night but we usually can't do the every other night stretch - especially in the summer.

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls get a bath every other night unless they have played hard outside or are particular nasty for some reason. When we stay inside because of bad weather they just don't get dirty enough to bathe.

8. jultaria

jultaria Well-Known Member

We get a bath and new pj's every night. We wash their hair only 4 times a week.

9. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

K&M get a bath every other night. They usually get new pjs then also with the exception of the "battle of what pjs they want to wear." Sometimes they wear pjs more than they should because I just don't have the fight in me. It is a battle I sometimes chose not to fight.

With bug spray, sunscreen and swimming weather rolling in, they will probably get a bath every night depending on the day's activities.

ETA: typo

10. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We do baths on daycare nights M/W/F, and as needed beyond that. In the summer, it will probably end up being everyday, they've been getting really dirty playing outside. Clean PJ's everyday.

11. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I would say every 2-3 days. Sometimes daily, sometimes we skip a few days. I pretty much go by them. If we've been playing outside and they are dirty, or have been sick, or messy with food, or whatever, I'll give them a bath. If they stay clean, I don't worry about it.
    Helen

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We just went from twice a week to 3x a week. We bathed them twice a week (unless really extremely dirty) from basically birth until age 2.5. But they went to bed pretty skanky some days. It was just that they got skanky almost immediately the next morning, so we didn't see the point in bathing them every day! :blush:

But now that it's sunscreen season (and we're required to slather them in sunscreen every morning before daycare), plus they are playing in dirt and sand a lot more, we decided it was gross not to bathe them at least 3x a week. So we do Sun, Weds, and Fri.

13. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

Mine get a bath most every night because we play outside daily and they get dirty and sweaty.

14. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

We do baths and new pj's every night for all 4 kids (ages 9,5,2 &2).

Edited for typo.

15. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

On average, every other night. Sometimes more (but rarely), and sometimes less (usually if we get busy doing something and it gets too late - also, sometimes if we go swimming we skip baths).

We tend to wash pajamas when they get dirty, or after they've been worn several times. Seems a waste of water and energy to do them after one wearing - what harm could they possibly do?

-Rachel

16. JensBoys

JensBoys Well-Known Member

Usually every other night unless they've been playing outside or got extra messy that day - then it's every day.

17. Alli Baby

Alli Baby Well-Known Member

Every other night and rarely every 3 nights.

18. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ May 22 2008, 11:11 AM) [snapback]787572[/snapback]
    Every other day around here and we get clean PJ's on bath night as well!

Same here, unless they have made a particular mess of themselves that day.

19. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

In the wintertime we do every other night for baths, but the rest of the year everyone gets a bath every night because they're outside playing for a good part of the day and IMO that gets you dirty!

20. Joyful

Joyful Well-Known Member

Mine get a bath every night. It has been our bed-time routine from the time they could bathe :)

21. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Chillers @ May 22 2008, 11:06 AM) [snapback]787554[/snapback]
    My girls really only get a bath twice/week, unless they've had sunscreen or bugspray on. So I'm sure this summer will be more frequent.

In the winter twice a week. In the spring/fall three times a week. In the summer every other day, more if dirty/sweaty/gooey from lotions. However, my ILs have a pool and they often swim. It's not a chlorine pool, so they don't need a shower after.

22. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

Every couple of days, or more often... depending on how much bacon grease and yogurt is in their hair! :lol:

23. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

Bath is everyday here and new pj's as well.

24. HT

HT Well-Known Member

Baths every day for all my kids since they were about a month old. I can't stand to go a day without a shower so I can't imagine bathing them less. The twins get new pj's every night, my pre-schooler gets new pj's every other night unless she spills something on them at breakfast.

25. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

They all get baths about every other day with the exceptions of being extra dirty. As others have said it will prob happen more often b/c of being outside more. Tonight became a bath night b/c they played in the mud otherwise it wouldn't have been a bath night b/c last night was bath night. Also, because we go to church on Sundays they all almost always get a bath Sat night or Sun morning before church! So sometimes that means they might get a bath two times in a row. If I see dirt or smell a nasty smell...it's bath time! It might change soon b/c my fiirst daughter is almost 9 and she might become more concerned about her cleanliness which will be fine with me, too.

26. leticiasnow

leticiasnow Well-Known Member

That's what we have been doing during the winter because my kids have ezema. But now with the summer coming, one of the twins has asthma and allergies and has to be bathed every time she plays outside.

QUOTE(Chillers @ May 22 2008, 11:06 AM) [snapback]787554[/snapback]

27. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

It use to be every other or depending on how dirty they were.

Now its every night.

28. Cindy H

Cindy H Well-Known Member

Bath nights are Tues/Thur/SAt nights hear and we adjust as needed for dirtiness or if we get busy one night.

Cindy

29. twinmom11

twinmom11 Well-Known Member

Mine get baths every night. They're always outside playing and they get filthy after dinner. At this point its just part of our routine so we do it whether they are especially dirty or not.

30. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Every night for us. It is warm here most of the time and they are outside sweating and getting dirty everyday.

31. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

The girls get a bath practically every day. If they seem pretty clean and I'm pretty tired, I'll skip a night. But Rosalie seems to think skipping a night automatically means she gets to invade my shower the next morning.

I think I've bathed them daily since they started eating solids. DH thinks they could skip nights, but I've always thought that's because he doesn't want to share bath duty, so he'd rather classify it as my obsession. In our climate, they can play outside pretty much every day year 'round, they get DIRTY (not just, "Oh, she many not be clean, I'm not sure," but "if we add a little water we can make mudpies on their feet!"), and I want them to think of being clean and smelling fresh as the natural way to be. When it's humid and warm or hot 10 months of the year, you can pretty quickly tell who the weekly bathers are!

Pajamas we change if they are dirty, but not every day unless they just want to switch what they're wearing. I usually wash them on the weekend when I wash their sheets.

THIS PARTED ADDED WITH EDIT: I just realized I invaded the 1-4 board. I'm so sorry. Up until full potty training, I bathed daily because, well, they were wearing their toilets. Then after, I could tell pretty quickly that wiping was going to be hit or miss, so I just figured I'd make sure they were clean before bed every night. Maybe DH is right, I might be a little obsessed with cleanliness. I do love the smell of soap. Dial, Dove, whatever that Mickey Mouse soap is we brought back from Disney World. And little soft heads that smell like Johnson's Baby Shampoo make me melt.

Now I'll just slink back to the 5-11, or Parent's Club or something. :FIFblush:

32. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Mine get a bath every night. They play outside everyday, and usually are dirty! Plus, they love it and it is fun for them!

33. ~Laura M~

~Laura M~ Well-Known Member

Yup - every other night unless --- outside and dirty. I don't know why I have not made it an every night thing either... it just works out that way.