S/O When people say...

Discussion in 'General' started by efmolly, Jul 22, 2010.

1. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Here in Australia they say "Day-Boo" meaning Debut. It is strange to hear a sports game and the announcer says "this is John Smith's DAY BOO".

I do think using "Good" instead of "Well" is likely the one I notice the most and can feel the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Oh and Doggie, Kitty, Froggie, Mousie, Blankie, Horsie, Moo moo, ..... my daughter will say "Doggie" the odd time but I will just say "Yes it is a DOG". Is the Horsie on the grassie for a bitie of foodie ? :girl_devil:

2. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree with so many of these! I am constantly correcting students on so many of what has already been mentioned. I have a lot of students who will say "that's mines" instead of "that's mine". Or using the word "past" instead of "passed".

And speaking of double negatives... DH and I once overheard a waitress tell a customer, "Don't never not ask!" What is that, like a triple negative??

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I will use the word 'ain't' in a jesting way sometimes but as a real word, ummm, no.

One that bugs me (and thank goodness it is seasonal) is Valentime's Day instead of Valentine's Day.

4. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Birfday? That one drives me :crazy:

5. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I have never claimed to have perfect grammar so I am not judging, but since the op has a couple of errors I guess I'll be the one to point it out. This is one thing that I always notice when it done. Shouldn't it be an adjective and an adverb?? Since the post was started about incorrect grammar, just thought I'd throw that out there. :laughing:

6. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

7. efmolly

efmolly Well-Known Member

I just remembered two that I hear all the time.

"Out loud" instead of "aloud"

"Could care less" instead of "Couldn't care less". If you could care less, then you must care to some degree.

8. efmolly

efmolly Well-Known Member

You are so right! Ha ha! I can't believe I make such a basic mistake. :FIFblush:

9. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

I'm afraid to type something incorrectly here lmao

As pp's have mentioned already, the "I seen" and "You's" My mil uses both of those terms and I can't STAND it!

10. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm surprised I haven't seen this one here.... somewheres. Drives me bonkers! I have a friend who says this, as well as axed instead of asked.

As for the apostrophe's-I'm bad at that. I probably just did <------that one over there wrong! And with Nicholas ending with an 's', I'm all flustered over the right way to use them! :laughing:

11. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Anne, great new signature!!! Love it! :air_kiss: :rotflmbo:

12. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Yes, words that begin with a vowel sound should have an preceding it, not a.

Now I'm confused. I initially thought that the OP was saying "The ballet recital went beautiful." was incorrect. Beautifully would be correct in this case. Beautifully is modifying went (a verb), not the recital. If it was describing the recital, the sentence would be "The ballet recital was beautiful."
    I do agree with the OP's original complaint though. I used to watch a soap, and they were always saying "I feel badly that blah blah blah." It should be "I feel bad ...." You wouldn't say, "I feel sadly" or "I feel happily", so why "feel badly"?

13. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

[quote Then you have to visit the "blog" of "unnecessary" quotation marks! (But only if you're not eating or drinking and you don't have a full bladder.)
    [/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :bump: :bump:

I am really bad at using "quotes" in my posts. I'm probably the worst offender !

14. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I think it's a relic of older usage. In Victorian novels, people use adverbs: I feel/am well, poorly, etc. The positives haven't survived (now it's perfectly accepted to say "I feel good/happy/etc") but "I feel badly" is still around.

15. Snittens

There is still some debate about this, but it seems that "I feel bad" is the more accepted way to go.
    http://grammartips.homestead.com/badly.html

16. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

A lot of words are said funny around here because of heavy country accents.

17. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Retarted instead of retarded, as in "this picture is retarted." Don't get me wrong, I very much dislike people using "gay" or "retarded" as insults but if you're going to be an asshat at least spell the word right. Seeing people type retarted for some reason gives me word rage.

1 person likes this.
  18. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I can only read a few entries at a time from this blog; it gives me an uncontrollable case of the giggles. :lol:

:acute:

19. Slackwater

Slackwater Well-Known Member

DH's cousin has her hair "did" but gets her nails done. And announces this to the world on a regular basis via FB.

For all "intensive purposes" instead of for all "intents and purposes."

But I am guilty of using combo words like "flusterated" to be cute :unsure:

20. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

Thank you!! I was going to reply, until I finally found yours! This one drives me crazy, and people do it all the time!! It doesn't make sense - I try to explain it, and sometimes people still don't get it! They say that it sounds better to say "could care less"...

21. Maymay

Maymay Well-Known Member

Lets see...

effect/affect
    alot - as in "I like that alot" It's two words, not one.
    overuse and misuse of the word "literally"
    using adverbs to modify an absolute state of being such as "very unique"
    It also bothers me that the word "ignorant" has become synonymous with "stupid". It just means that you don't know something, it is not judgment of one's IQ.

22. BubbleDragon

BubbleDragon Well-Known Member

Once I was walking through our town's yard sale and found a little glass dish I liked, and asked how much the guy wanted. "Free." I kinda looked shocked and said, "Oh, ok then!" and started walking off, when he started shouting. Apparently he meant "Three." *shudders* And I look back and can't believe *I* was feeling embarrassed about that exchange.

My husband says "All the sudden" and it drives me up a wall. He knows this, but I don't harp on it, because that's a jerk move, you know?

23. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You should check out hyperbole and a half. She has a post about the Alot, a mythical creature that looks kind of like a cross between a bear and a buffalo. It's the background on my netbook at home.

1 person likes this.
  24. Maymay

Maymay Well-Known Member

:rotflmbo:
    That almost made me snort soda out of my nose!

25. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

It drives me crazy when people say "I could care less" instead of couldn't care less. If you could care less then you must care some. Supposably instead of supposedly. Then/than, there/their/they're, your/you're. I admit I get seen/saw mixed up a lot. I can never remember the rule for that one. Ain't doesn't bother me because once upon a time isn't, doesn't, wasn't etc were not words. My speech has become so bad lately that I cringe at myself quite often.

26. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Speaking of alot/a lot... I had a college English professor who barred us from using "a lot". (Alot was not allowed either.) She said "a lot" is something you park cars in. We had to find a better way to state what we meant.

27. jjzollman

Yeah, but at least with those words it makes sense where the contractions come from, you know?

wasn't = was not
    isn't = is not
    aren't = are not
    doesn't = does not
    don't = do not

and so on......

Where does ain't come from? The contraction itself doesn't make any sense to me. :laughing:

28. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

What about won't. Shouldn't it be willn't? :laughing: I've just talked to too many older people who have said that when they "heard this or that for the first time".... and now it is just common place to hear those things. Our grandchildren will probably say ain't and not even think about it.

29. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

It was originally a contraction of "am not" in the 1700s, and was a variation on "amn't" or "an't". It began to be used as a generic contraction for other things (e.g. "are not") in the early 19th century and was stigmatized at that time.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ain%27t

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=ain%27t

30. Donita

Donita Well-Known Member

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='28 July 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1280326609' post='1671867']
    It was originally a contraction of "am not" in the 1700s, and was a variation on "amn't" or "an't". It began to be used as a generic contraction for other things (e.g. "are not") in the early 19th century and was stigmatized at that time.

http://dictionary.re.../browse/ain%27t

http://www.etymonlin...hp?term=ain%27t
    [/quote]

Thank you! I had no idea it started way back when.

31. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

we will never get to tomarrow because it doesn't exist!!!

32. pgmummy

pgmummy Well-Known Member

I am driving north on a road. A friend of mine is driving south at the same time and we see each other. Later we see each other in person and she says "I passed you on the road earlier." No, you met me on the road earlier. You did not pass me you were going in the opposite direction.

Storage solutions
    Drives DH bonkers - I use it just to bug him. "What we need are some storage solutions for this closet."

Unthaw
    Drives me bonkers and DH uses it constantly. "Take that roast out of the freezer to unthaw" He know the difference, he just says it because he thinks it's funny.

33. jjzollman

[quote name='Nate and Jack's Mom' date='28 July 2010 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1280326609' post='1671867']

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ain%27t

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=ain%27t
    [/quote]

Interesting, thanks! :)

Still can't stand the word, though! :laughing: I will do everything in my power to make sure my children don't use it, either! ;)

34. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

As y'all know, everything drives me crazy (except "y'all" and other attempts by English speakers to recreate the plural form of "you" for greater clarity).

I'm with Stewie, we will have to have people executed for using "all the sudden."

Something I have encountered a lot lately is dropping "to be" from certain constructions where it belongs.

One cannot say "this house needs cleaned." No, it needs to be cleaned. There is no "present tense verb + past tense of what should be done." For example: "This homework needs done." Nope. It makes me want to get out a groove cleaner and fix the skip in their brains. (Yes, I'm that old.)

35. Snittens

I am embarrassed to admit this, but I thought "all the sudden" was correct until maybe a month ago. :blush: For some reason, I kept seeing "all of a sudden" written. I thought that was wrong, and I was wondering what the heck was going on, why were people writing it like that? When it's spoken, it's usually kind of quick and I hadn't really noticed the difference. Anyway, so I go look it up online and yep, I was wrong! Now I feel like an idiot.