Same sex twins and presents

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MusicalAli, Dec 2, 2010.

1. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I was just looking over the twins' Christmas presents. I've bought them pretty much the same exact things. One might have the "red" car or "blue" car but it's pretty much the exact same things. If I didn't get them both a Nerf gun (or something like that) it would be an all-out war. I just hate the thought of them not having individual things (they are identical twins on top of it all) but based on their personalities I'm also afraid of the grief it could bring. Anyone else in a similar situation? Is this something that passes with age? I was trying to think of one or two gifts I could get for each of them that are different from the other but they both pretty much like the same things.

2. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I used to do that when my kids were younger as well, though now they have somewhat different tastes in clothing and activities, so their presents vary more. I still often buy a lot of similar stuff, i.e., jeans and t-shirts from the same store, but they get different stuff too. The problem I'm having this year is we're thinking of giving them a new tv for their room and their dad suggested getting them each a smaller one to put by their bed, but I think that's really impractical, so it will probably be a "sharing" gift. I've never given them gifts before that they have to share because I've figured I would never give something to one of them and their brother to share, so why do it to them, but I talked to them about it and they were okay with it. It's not like they're being deprived otherwise. I think what you're doing now makes things easier all around. They get stuff they want and they won't covet each other's gifts, causing grief to you and them.

3. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

My boys are getting pretty much identical presents as well. I hate it because we really don't need 2 of the same toys most of the time, but all hell will break loose if they both want to play with the same toy. I am hoping to find like Jennifer did, that as they get older they will develop their own tastes, and logic will work that they can ,shock and forbid, share. :shok:

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I posted almost this same question about a month ago -- here are the responses. :)

ETA: I have gotten them a couple of slightly more individual things since I wrote that. Amy is WAY into ballet and especially the Nutcracker, so I got her a book about a girl who is in the Nutcracker. Then I found another book for Sarah which is a totally different type of book (a picture book about math) -- but I guess two books is still pretty parallel. :ibiggrin: They really do still have mostly the same interests.

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I bought the girls a Wii with super Mario, 2 games, barbie puppies and Disney sing it, 2 belle dresses one yellow one pink and buddy and tiny from the dinosaur train. I usually buy 2 of something but for a long time we have not bought the same item

6. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

It IS true (at least for us) that as they get older it gets easier to buy them different things because their interest change. My boys (ID too) could care less what the other gets, and here's where I got REAL lucky, even if they did .. they have never had a problem sharing their toys.
    But most of the time .. they don't want what each other has.
    We also have a LOT of shared toys .. like race tracks and Imaginext play sets, and then there's the toys that are similiar but different.

7. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Based on these replies and the ones from the other thread, I guess it depends on their personalities. As of this moment, they like the same things so I'm probably best to err towards that end until I see interests changing. Thanks so much for your thoughts!

8. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

This is the first year that they are getting something completely different. Some of the presents are the same though but that is true of their older sister also.

9. BRMommy

BRMommy Well-Known Member

For the last few years, we had them write letters to Santa to tell him what they want for Christmas. Sometimes they wished for the same things and other times, they wished for different things, so we just got them what they asked. They've also received "equivalent" gifts from grandparents (tinker toys and building blocks) with a note from them asking the recipient to please share with his brother. I agree with PP that it gets easier getting them different gifts when they are older.

10. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

My boys just turned s and are also identical. I do not buy them the same toys bc they each like different things and for the most part they will share.

I bought them each a pillow pet bc all 3 of my boys wanted one.

They love Toy Story now one loves buzz the other woody so they each got one of the larger talking toys from the Disney store.

One got a Toy Story operation game the other got a toy story fishing game.

One wanted stinky the garbage truck but I refused to pay that amount for the large one so I picked up the small one for $10.00 the other got a trio set.

For gifts together we bought them a Wii and some games a few bored games and movies and a larger Trio set.