Same, Similar or Different

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by tmhuckle, Oct 10, 2010.

?

How do you prefer to dress your twins

1. Identical

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Similar/Complimentary

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  3. Different

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. tmhuckle

tmhuckle Member

I know this doesn't totally apply to those with b/g twins as you would likely be 'similar' or 'different', but for those of you with same sex twins, do you prefer to dress your twins identically, similarly or different? And why?

My boys have a combination of identical outfits and similar outfits (same outfit different colour), and I a, not sure what I like best.

2. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

My boys are identical and 10 weeks old and I still haven't dressed them in identical outfits. They have some matching things, I just haven't done it yet. At night I like them to wear different sleepers to help tell them apart quickly in the dark (they're still sleeping together in the co-sleeper). I do dress them similarly most of the time. I'm sure I'll dress them alike someday, maybe for some photos or a special occasion. I bought them matching Halloween costumes so I guess that could be the first time.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When they were little, I always dressed them alike. Now, that's still how I prefer to dress them(they will be three next week).

But, I have broadened my horizons and sometimes buy similar shirts/pants. They'll wear the same pants, just different colors. Or I will get two Carter's shirts-one with a fire truck, another with a digger. Or I get one blue striped shirt, one green striped shirt. My boys never wear say, a soccer shirt, and then a striped shirt. They always are matching or corresponding in some way. It helps with the, "Are they twins/They're not twins" comments. No one would EVER think they were twins if they weren't dressed alike!

And I figure, while I still have a choice-they are dressing the same. I know my days are numbered!

4. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

Mine boys are usually in something completely different but a lot of that is because I didn't have to buy a lot of new clothes as they just wear their brothers hand me downs. They are also in two different size as one is in 12 month and the other in 24 months. I find it a waste of my money to buy the same outfit in two different sizes because I can't seem to sell them at our twins sales. Also it saves me money because my small guy just wears his brothers hand me downs. We do on occasion dress in similar outfits but different colors and rarely the same.

5. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

I prefer dressing them in matching clothes. They'll wear the same thing, but with a different colour or maybe one will have a skirt and a T-shirt on and the other a dress made of the same fabric. They have lots of clothes that are completely the same, mostly because people buy it for them (they think it is cute and they're absolutely right) and also because it is difficult to find matching outfits. I have never even put them in different outfits. Sometimes when one baby needs to change clothes I also change the other. :FIFblush: I'll stop deciding for them what to wear once they can choose for theirselves. Well, I'll guide them of course, but I won't insist on them being dressed alike.

6. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

My girls are 9wks. I have two older girls but a lot of their clothes were just worn out between the two of them and I didn't have enough anyway. I ended up doing a lot of shopping. I bought a couple matching outfits and then everything else was similar or coordinated. I did most of my shopping at Carters so it was really easy. One sleeper is pink one blue but they both have animal faces on the butt and at the feet. Both have flowers but one is brown and one is pink. That type of thing. Anytime someone gave us clothes as a gift it was always matching outfits. I ended up with so much matching clothes. I was really happy though once the girls came because the majority of my clothes were 0-3 and everyone gave us newborn. The girls were little when they came and if it weren't for those newborn clothes I wouldn't have ever had anything that fit. I have tons of 3-6mos clothes for them once they gain a couple more pounds and almost all of those clothes are similar but not matching. There might only be one or two items that match.

7. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I always dress them in similar outfits--like a pink t-shirt and jeans with ruffles for her and a blue t-shirt and the matching jeans (without ruffles) for him. Or a white t-shirt for her and a white polo shirt for him and both in khakis. They even have similar shoes :FIFblush:. DS is blonde and blue-eyed and DD is brunette and brown-eyed, so having them dressed alike emphasizes that they are twins.

But here's the really embarrassing thing: I sometimes wear a matching outfit too. :FIFblush: :FIFblush:

8. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are usually dressed alike or in something similar...same pants different colored shirt:) They look a lot alike but as they get bigger it helps answer the question that they are twins:)

9. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I dress my girls in complimentary outfits. I love those packs of bodysuits that Carter's has because I can always have coordinating outfits that way.

10. pandax3

pandax3 Well-Known Member

Gabriel and Gregory are in similar outfit most of times.Like Friday, they both had on overalls with Green and overalls with blue onesies. Then yesterday they both had on khakis for church with red polos with different designers (izod and Ralph Lauren) Since we are given so many identifical outifts they will idenitfical at time but not often.

11. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I like the complimentary outfits. Since my girls are ID and I'm the only one who can tell them apart I find it frustrating when they are dressed in identical outfits and I am constantly being asked "who's this?" even by DH. I know I shouldn't get annoyed because they are identical but it bugs me. I figure I at least give people a fighting chance if they are in different colours :)

12. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

We dress them completely differently. Mostly because of the hand me downs we received but also by choice. The doubles we got we use on different days. We just think they are such totally different people (already!). And we try to avoid the spectacle of living with twins!

13. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

My girls(id) will turn 5 this month and they have always been dressed alike. A month or so ago Jess spilt milk on her dress and had to wear something different. Their class mates and teachers were all disturbed. On that note they are currently dressing alike by choice!

14. ChaoticMum

ChaoticMum Well-Known Member

Always different - altho for the odd joke here and there we've dressed them in the same sleepers. I have not one single outfit identical in the house, altho I do have one set of complimentary outfits given as a gift which they wore for their 1yr photos and they wore identical shirts for their 6mth photos only because we had nothing else that complimented the other kids.

I hate it when they are dressed alike 1) its too confusing for everyone around us - myself included to tell them apart, and 2)they are their own person. If some day they decide to dress alike, so be it, but for now while I choose, its different.

I do have lots of the same shirts in different colors from my older boys but its more a case of "2 for 1" sales etc