Says Yes, then No, then Yes, then No!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by tbeards, Dec 13, 2011.

1. tbeards

tbeards Well-Known Member

One of our 2-1/2 year old twins does this thing where she says she wants something then says no, then when you go to put it away she says yes or rather wines and then when you go to give it to her he says no again. I know this is her attempt to try and control the situation; however, just wondering if you go through this and what you do about it. Right now we are giving her a couple of chances and then putting the thing/treat away.

What is up with that and if you have this going on, what do you do?

tbeards

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I read something somewhere about the toddler brain. Evidently toddlers can simultaneously both 100% want something and 100% NOT want it at the same time. One of my sons is going through this, too- its maddening!

What I do is ask do you want a drink? He says drink. The NO drink immediately. Then drink. Then NO drink... What I do is say ok each time he says either drink or no drink as I'm continuing to pour it. When I'm done I hand it to him and tell him put it on their little table if he doesn't want to drink it. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. Either way it keeps me sane and there aren't any tantrums.

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Oh yes!

With food or drink I do what Michelle does - if they ask for it, I will give it to them and with subsequent answers just say "ok, if you do not want it put it on the table, leave it on the plate etc." To me, this is totally not worth a battle.

My favourite one is clothes - I always offer them a choice of 2 shirts and by now they know that I will keep them to their choice (even if it causes a tantrum). So choosing may take a while but it does creep into their brains that some decisions you cannot change if you are consistent about which choices are final.

4. caresc77

caresc77 New Member

Hi, one of my 2 1/2 year old twins does this as well, I don't think she really understands what she wants, it's so annoying! She'll ask for more cereal, I make sure to ask her if she really wants it, then once I pour it all out she says she doesn't want it! I agree it's not really worth the battle, if she asks for more and I think she's probably had enough I just distract her by suggesting she get down and do some colouring or something she enjoys.

5. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

Yep - drive me MAD! I get to the point where I just walk away - if you want it or dont want go get it I dont really care one way or the other and I am not playing this game. Wow that sounds mean. I do notice he does it more when he is tired so I think he is just not ready to make clear decisions. Just like me if I havent had my coffee :)

6. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I now sing Hot and Cold by Katy Perry when Jacob does this.