scared and worried, DH took him to ER

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by bridget nanette, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

Our whole family has been sick for ages (3 weeks or so) with this coughing, sore throat etc. [​IMG] We all have been on antibiotics, and we all have finally gotten better, all of us but Michael. His last dose was Monday.

The nanny said he was super fussy today. When I got home he was constantly whining, his face/cheeks were bright red and he wouldn't eat. I put him down at 7:45, and he woke up 20 min. ago. DH said that he didn't like his breathing and decided to take him to ER.

I'm so worried and scared. I stayed home because Mikayla is sound asleep. I've never had a child go to the ER. I'm sitting here all alone, unable to sleep and sick with worry.

Bridget [​IMG]

2. bridget nanette

Our whole family has been sick for ages (3 weeks or so) with this coughing, sore throat etc. [​IMG] We all have been on antibiotics, and we all have finally gotten better, all of us but Michael. His last dose was Monday.

The nanny said he was super fussy today. When I got home he was constantly whining, his face/cheeks were bright red and he wouldn't eat. I put him down at 7:45, and he woke up 20 min. ago. DH said that he didn't like his breathing and decided to take him to ER.

I'm so worried and scared. I stayed home because Mikayla is sound asleep. I've never had a child go to the ER. I'm sitting here all alone, unable to sleep and sick with worry.

Bridget [​IMG]

3. Chris S.

Chris S. Well-Known Member

Oh you poor thing...and your poor baby too! He will be o.k. I'm sure the ER docs will do everything they can to get him comfortable. Just wondering were his cheeks just red with no fever?

I'm thinking of you...it will all be o.k.

4. bridget nanette

Yes, his cheeks were bright red and he wasn't running a fever. At least, not that I could tell. He wasn't hot or anything.

DH is also very worried, because DH has asthema (sp)and had pnemonia (sp)last year. Michael was wheezing worse than DH was, and DH was in the hospital for a week.

[​IMG]

Bridget

5. Chris S.

My Evan was dx with Pneumonia Dec. 13th. I don't remember red cheeks. We did have the bad sinus infection here. Evan also had a really dry sounding cough. I did not hear him wheezing when I took him to the ped. I was expecting to hear that he had RSV or Croup. Were you doing breathing treatments already? Evan is having 1 pulmicort treatment a day and 4 albuterol treatments.

Grant had the wheezing part and a double ear infection the same day. His hadn't turned into pneumonia yet. Sad thing was I couldn't even hear his wheezing. He is taking 4 albuterol treatments a day also. It's wearing me out.

We don't have any family history of Asthma though...however the boys were born premature 29.2 so Evan might end up having that. Oh yeah and Evan did run a fever with his Pneumonia too.

How long does it take to get to your ER from where you live? If you want I will stay up with you.

6. bridget nanette

[​IMG] Oh thank you so much Chris. You have me crying here because of your kindness and caring. The hospital is about 20-25 min. away. Michael hasn't had any breathing treatments.....

Maybe he doesn't have pneumonia if he isn't running a fever. Dh said he'd call me as soon as he knows anything.

I'm exhausted too, and I have to leave for work at 6:30 am. Maybe because I'm so tired and we all have been so sick, I'm just run down and emotional about this.

Bridget

7. Chris S.

I've learned in my two short years of being a mother that when ever one of your kids is in pain, suffering, or treated unfairly it affects us as mothers twice as badly as it affects our kiddos. I recently thanked our NICU nurse for being such an Angel in our lives. One of my hardest experiences ever was having the boys in the NICU for 7 w 2 d. A couple weeks ago I was thinking back on what a struggle it was for me. I realized that God was trying to get me to Depend on Him. I am a take charge assertive person who likes for everything to have its own place and own time and this life lesson was for me to realize that I have to let go a little bit. I bunted heads with our NICU nurse because she was in charge of deciding when I could hold my babies and when they ate and on and on. She was so patient and kind to me and my children. But at that moment I did not like her one bit because I had to lean on her. She wouldn't even let me put the recliner back by myself because of germs on the handle. I use to grit my teeth and it was all I could do to not scream at her. When I had my awakening moment a couple weeks ago I realized I've hardened up like that again. Everything in my life is so structured and when we throw things in the mix like visits to the ER, breathing treatments, and the like it gives us a moment to step back and reflect on what is really important. So take a moment and a deep breath...and have your moment.

8. bridget nanette

I went and took a hot bubble bath, bringing my cell phone into the bathroom in case DH called.

I shouldn't worry so...I need to put it in God's hands. I'm sure everything will turn out ok. We really have had it lucky with the twins, they were full term and have been very healthy. We were lucky not to have any NICU time at all.

Thank you for being here with me as I wait this out. I know I need to get some sleep, but how can I?

Bridget

9. Chris S.

You won't be able to sleep...tomorrow will be a long day for you. Maybe you can take a quick head on your desk kind of nap. Or just drink lots of coffee. I only work two part time jobs...so I usually take a nap when the boys do..on nights like your having.

10. bridget nanette

He CALLED!! Michael is ok....sort of. The doctors said he has croup? They told DH to put him in the shower under steam and to put humidifier in his room. They are giving him some kind of steroid or something. DH is on his way home. They did this is record time! It has only been an hour since DH left. That means 25 min there and he was seen already and Dh is on his way home.

No pneumonia!

[​IMG] Thanks for everything Chris. Thanks for being there for me!

Bridget

11. Chris S.

Your welcome...now get some rest! I am so glad everything is o.k. [​IMG]

12. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

You poor thing, I can so relate to the worry that comes when we have a sick little one. I pray that everything is good with your little one. I am in California so will be up for awhile if you need another person to talk to. [​IMG]

13. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad it just croup. I hope Michael feels better soon.

14. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Oh I am so glad he is OK! ER trips are not fun. Josh has been twice for cold/coughs/fevers and febrile seizures that turned into pneu. And I can understanda bout the breathing difficulty too. Josh now is diagnosed with cold/virus induced asthma and needs meds to help him breath. But only when he is sick. So freakin' scarey!!! Zach had the croup twice too. His ped said to hold him in front of the cool mist of a freezer? Interesting.

Hang in there!

15. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Glad you took care of it. Croup was my first guess. My DD had it last summer (I know... summer) and it cleared up VERY quickly!

16. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

Matthew had it this summer too. Very scary! You hear about what it sounds like, but until you see your child struggling with every breath you don't understand what "seal like" cough means. I always thought it was just the barking sounding cough they get with some colds. I didn't realize every breath was a struggle and the seal sound is a loud high pitched sound of trying to inhale. It scared me to death so I know how you and your DH felt.

My ped also recommended the opening the freezer, and having him breath the air from the freezer.

17. katie c

katie c Well-Known Member

Glad it turned out to be croup and not the phnemonia.
    Take care over the holidays
    xxx

18. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How is he feeling today?