Scared me to death....

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by happyfor2, May 3, 2009.

1. happyfor2

happyfor2 Well-Known Member

I saw it coming but I just coudn't catch him in time. I was sitting on the one couch and Nicholas leaned over the arm of the other couch and before I could reach him he fell over the edge and hit his head on the floor. I scooped him up as fast as I could and I tell you I was panicked. My heart was racing a mile a minute and I was sure he had really hurt himself. Of course, he was fine - only a few minutes of crying and a small bump on his head. I, on the other hand, was a nervous wreck!

This couch climbing is truly driving me crazy! I repeatedly tell them to "sit down", "sit on your bottom" - multiple times a day. I even thought this recent fall would put a little fear in them. But no..Nicholas got right back up on the couch after he fell, stood up and looked at me with this grin. They think it is a fun game. They stand up, I tell them to sit down. When they don't sit down, I go over to make them sit and they laugh at me :rolleyes: I have tried "timeouts" but that consist of putting them in a pack n play that is also in the living room where we are playing. Not sure how effective that is.

This weekend we did buy another area rug (we have hard wood floors) so that now each couch has a rug surrounding it to cushion any other falls - which I hope don't happen,but just in case!

Anyone else have any tips? And thanks for reading and listening to my story! What a weekend!

2. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

The couch obsession was a rough time around here. Each of my boys fell off once, and that still didn't stop them from doing very dangerous stuff. The thing that helped me the most was to pull all of the cushions off of the couch and let them play on it without the cushions, or encourage them to play on the cushions while they were on the floor. However, you can't keep the cushions off all the time, so it's not a cure-all, for sure! ;) Thankfully, it has been a phase, and it has since passed!

Glad that your little one is okay... they sure are resilient! :)

3. FourKiddos

FourKiddos Well-Known Member

It too has passed in my house, but it drove me crazy while they were doing it. My other two never went through that phase, however I find that my two get into a lot more than their older siblings due to encouraging each other by making it look like so much fun. Hopefully, it passes soon too in your house!

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Glad your little guy is feeling better! The couch climbing phase has not yet passed here but I cannot wait for it to do so!

5. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

I'm going through that phase myself!! The boys have a little Cars fold out couch that they put next to the big one, and they are constantly diving from the big couch to the little one. They have no fear!! And I've exhausted all the "Sit on your bottom NOW" s that do nothing.

I'm just hoping that this too shall pass! :rolleyes:

shannon

6. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We are in the thick of it too. We say "Sit down or get down" but it does no good at our house either. The latest is getting in the rocking recliner and standing up and making it rock. My heart jumps out of my chest every time because they stand by the edge, not even at the back and think it's hilarious that I rush over there. Sorry, no advice but I'm glad he's OK.

7. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

Oh, I am so ready for this phase to be over in my house. It scares me to death, because in our house we have a couch pushed up against a railing (that's not to code, but I thought, what a perfect barrier). Yeah, it was a great idea, until they started standing on the arms of that couch trying to lean over the top of it, which if they fell would fall 1/2 a story. Aaaack, I do not know what to do. There is no where to move the couch, and if I did move it, I'd need to do something to the railing! I'm frightened to the point I can't even leave them to go potty, I have to bring them into the bathroom with me, which is then a perfect oppportunity for them to open all the drawers in the sink and pull out the hairspray and deodorant and toothbrushes and everything else. Aaaack.

8. Kendra77

Kendra77 Well-Known Member

Wow...reading all of these stories makes me sooo glad I don't have a couch. I moved when I was about 20 weeks pregnant and left my couch behind. At 24 weeks I was admitted to the hospital on bed rest and never had a chance to get a new couch. Then after the babies were born I was really busy. Now they're 15 months old and I decided we don't really need a couch until they're about 3. :D
    I also got rid of a big heavy wooden coffee table that was here...I could just imagine them falling and hitting their heads on that. I'm very wimpy about taking risks. I even bought foam mats from Toys R Us to cover the floor when they started trying to walk, even though it was already carpeted. I really recommend the mats...they're great. There are 4 in a package and they fit together like a big puzzle. They've already saved my twins from a few hard landings.

9. allboys

allboys Well-Known Member

I have new couch climbers too. My older one was an angel in comparison to these two. I really do think they egg each other on. No falls yet but it sure does makes me nervous.

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Oh how scary! I was very adament about my girls not jumping on the couch. My sister fell off our couch when she was 2 and broke her arm, so I was petrified of this happening too. But all that said, they still jump on the couch. I wish I had some answers for you. A friend of mine took her couch out of the play area and got those foam mats (that have letters and numbers). But she has a dedicated play room. I can't imagine that I will take the couch out of my den. :hug:

11. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How scary! I have been afraid of the same thing happening! I put my girls in time out in their cribs for 1 minute if they stand on the couch. It took a few times but they listen about 85% of the time now. I also fell off the couch when I was 3 and broke my elbow in 2 places, and that was on carpet, so I'm very serious about sitting on the couch.

12. happyfor2

happyfor2 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for reading and for your support! For the past day or so the boys have showed little interest in standing on the couch so I am thankful for a small break from the madness. I'm hoping that this phase will pass very, very soon! But what will the next phase bring....I can only imagine! Thanks again!