"scared" of shiny floors

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MichelleL, Aug 31, 2008.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Have you ever experienced this with your toddlers?

Emma will get super freaked out if she has to walk on a shiny floor, like polished linoleum or hardwoods. If we walk into a place that has shiny floors and I'm not holding her hand, she goes right down on her hands and knees. She does okay after a minute.

2. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

that's one i had never heard, that's pretty interesting LOL maybe not the best adjective LOL maybe she thinks they're wet and therefore slippery?

3. ehm

ehm Banned

I remember when my children were afraid of the change in tile on the floor at the grocery store. The store changed owners and they gradually changed the floor as they renovated each individual isle. It was torture for about 8 weeks while they transitioned.

4. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Awww Emmaline. :( I have never heard of it but maybe she does think she might fall. Smart girl if you ask me.

5. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Weird! Maybe it looks like a cliff to her - too much "depth" from all the reflections. Poor baby!

6. MichelleL

QUOTE(ehm @ Aug 31 2008, 09:31 PM) [snapback]956482[/snapback]
    I remember when my children were afraid of the change in tile on the floor at the grocery store. The store changed owners and they gradually changed the floor as they renovated each individual isle. It was torture for about 8 weeks while they transitioned.

Yes! That's the other thing! When we go to our favorite local mall, it has tiles that are light grey and then some that are black. She won't go from the grey to black without stopping and freezing and then holding my hand!

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Aug 31 2008, 10:42 PM) [snapback]956621[/snapback]
    Weird! Maybe it looks like a cliff to her - too much "depth" from all the reflections. Poor baby!

I was thinking the same exact thing...about it being a depth perception thing.

Several months ago, Lauren used to have to hold onto the door jamb (jam?) if going from one floor surface to another (linoleum to carpet, carpet to hardwoods, etc.)

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone it sounds like she thinks there is a change in height (depth perception). What a smarty pants to get down on her hands and knees to make sure she can get 'down' safely.

8. MichelleL

The girls had their 2 year visit this morning so I talked to the pedi about this.

Guess what? We stumped him. :blink: When I first explained what happens he gave me this puzzled look and said "oh, okay, that's a new one". :laughing: He said he's guessing it's a phobia. He said they are very common at this age, and that's all it probably is.

9. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

i guess congratulations are in order for the weirdest fear award, then! :p

10. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

Has she ever fallen on a wet floor before? Maybe that could be it? I agree with pp who said depth perception maybe. I think she'll grow out of it. It's very cute, though.

11. MichelleL

QUOTE(spinhermie @ Sep 19 2008, 03:48 PM) [snapback]988058[/snapback]
    i guess congratulations are in order for the weirdest fear award, then! :p

:rofl: Thanks for the laugh!!