Scared of steroid shots

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by idtwins, Jan 28, 2009.

1. idtwins

idtwins Member

Hi ladies,
    Let me just introduce myself. I have been a lurker on this site for a couple days now and really liked the support that the twin mamas get here. I am currently 30wk 5d pregnant with identical twin girls. There has been a growth discordance between these babies. One is measuring at 16% and the other is measuring at 41%. The Peri and my OB are watching me closely for IUGR and TTTS.

I had my regular appointment with my OB today. She and the peri thinks that I should get steroids to develop the lungs of the babies as they are gonna be premature most likely. I am too scared about the thought of steroids. Did anyone here get these shots. I would really appreciate any info on the shots.

Thanks.

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Get the shots!! I swear they saved my boys lives. They were born at 33 weeks and I had the steroid shots the week before. Only Ryan (IUGR baby) was on forced air (CPAP) for one day and Jake didn't have any trouble. I will tell you that the shot burns a lot. I hate shots, but knowing it was best for my kids made me suck it up.

3. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I had the shots, my 33 weekers didn't have any need for Oxy after the first few minutes. I KNOW the shots are what did it! Don't be hesitant.

4. twinsmommy11007

twinsmommy11007 Well-Known Member

I had the shot cause I went into premature labor at 32 weeks but it stopped so they gave me the shot just in case and it is totally worth it ....hopefully your babies will not be premies. Good Luck!

5. kittymum

kittymum Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I am also nervous. We are having a few complications so we are having the first steriod shot TODAY. My ob says that it is better to take the precaution in case we need to remove them early. He says there are no side effects on bubs and if you carry them longer then expected it does them no harm. One of my twins has a number of health concerns so at least her lung development shouldn;t be another thing to add to it. I will let you know what it is like when I get home this afternoon if you like.

xx

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got them and I truly believe they helped my two. :good: Emilie was born at 25w3 days and was only on a vent for 4 days. Trevor was born at 267w6d and NEVER went on a vent. They never had any lung or breathing issues in the NICU and still don't today. I would highly recommend the steroid shots. :)

7. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

I had the shots as well :good: My girls stayed in till 37.5 weeks & didn't have any issues :)

8. idtwins

idtwins Member

QUOTE(kittymum @ Jan 28 2009, 04:05 PM) [snapback]1166260[/snapback]
    Thanks for posting. I am also nervous. We are having a few complications so we are having the first steriod shot TODAY. My ob says that it is better to take the precaution in case we need to remove them early. He says there are no side effects on bubs and if you carry them longer then expected it does them no harm. One of my twins has a number of health concerns so at least her lung development shouldn;t be another thing to add to it. I will let you know what it is like when I get home this afternoon if you like.

xx

Sure, I would definitely like to know how your experience was with getting the shot. Hope your babies cook longer. Good luck.

9. idtwins

idtwins Member

Thanks for the replies ladies!! It really helps to know that so many of you got the shots. Its a big relief to know that the kids are doing/did well after/at birth.

10. jmcnett

jmcnett Well-Known Member

Are there any side effects to the steroid shots (for babies or mommy)? I am just wondering why they don't do it routinely for twin mommies since they come early so often. Is it something that you can request? I am so scared of going into labor early and not having time to get the shots.

11. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

I never noticed any side effects from mine. I had my shots at 33 weeks and my girls were born 2 weeks later with no breathing problems. The shots do hurt, but other than that they didn't bother me at all.

12. krisdeb04

krisdeb04 Well-Known Member

Hey there, I just had my steroid shots on monday and again yesterday(I'm only 25 1/2 wks though)....i was totally scared like u are, but i talked to some of the mama's on here and they were all so reassuring about them. Good luck!

13. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

Get the shots!
    I got them around 22 weeks and again the day of delivering at 30 weeks!
    It helped the boys' lungs a lot!
    Good Luck!

14. ymillenbaugh

ymillenbaugh Well-Known Member

Shots probably saved my boys life. At 30 weeks, their little lungs haven't really even developed. I went into labor @ 29 weeks. The boys were still on the vent for a while, but i have two beautiful healthy boys here with me today. Don't be scared. For me, the pros definately quelled any of my fears.

Praying for you and the babies,
    yusra

15. becky5

becky5 Guest

I got them too around 31 weeks. It burns going in, and I think I remember feeling hot/flushed afterwards. :welcome:

16. McChelsea

McChelsea Active Member

I recently went into preterm labor and had a 48 hour magnesium sulfate course AND two steroid shots. Yes they sting for a few seconds but its NOTHING in comparison to how it will help you little ones. I had two shots at 30 weeks and I am now 32 weeks and if I went into labor again and delivered them, the doctors said they would be in great shape at this point because of the steroids. You have every right to be scared, but its a very minor minor minor discomfort. Good luck!! :hug:

17. McChelsea

McChelsea Active Member

QUOTE(NINI H @ Jan 28 2009, 03:25 PM) [snapback]1166180[/snapback]
    I had the shots, my 33 weekers didn't have any need for Oxy after the first few minutes. I KNOW the shots are what did it! Don't be hesitant.

I know this has nothing to do with this posted topic, but were your boys born on May 18th, 2007? If so, that is when my son was born! I just thought that was neat! Sorry to bother you!! :p

18. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

I had two rounds of the shots- one day apart. They gave it to me in the hip- and I felt no pain and no side effects. The babies "cooked" until 37w 2d and were absolutely fine! They stayed in our room- and both came home with us when we left the hospital!

19. kittymum

kittymum Well-Known Member

Hi idtwins,
    Went in expecting to get the shots today, but everything was looking good today (for the first time in ages) so he decided to hold them off for another two weeks unless the need arises beofre them. My ob said they are more beneficial the closer you have them to the birth and he is now hoping I will make it to 34 weeks! :banana: So sorry, I don't really have anything to add afterall. The posts from the others seem all to be positive though which is really reassuring to me.

All the best,
    Kittymum

20. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

I got the shots at 26w5d when I went into the hospital for my 7 week stay with our IUGR baby. I don't remember them hurting at all, esp in comparison to anything else I went through. My IUGR baby at 2lb 2oz required no oxygen or cpap when they were born at 33w6d.

Get the shots for sure!

21. idtwins

idtwins Member

Thanks for all the replies ladies. So YAY for the shot tomorrow and friday :).

22. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

I got the first one 12 hours beofre I delivered (I went into labour on my own) and never had time to get the second one. I firmly believe even getting just that one shot kept my girls out of the NICU. (They were born at exactly 34 weeks and had absolutley no trouble at all except the usual jaundice. They only had a feeding tube becasue it's required by the hosp. for any baby delivered under 36 weeks. They didn't really need it!)

Good luck-KUP, and give your tummy a cuddle from us!

23. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I know it says you're scheduled for today but I still wanted to say they are SOOOO worth it. Yeah it hurts for a sec but they do no harm and do wonders for your babies. I had them at 24 weeks when in the hospital with contractions and again at 32 weeks when they were sure the boys were coming early. They were off all breathing help by the next day after delivery. We still had a NICU stay, but at least it wasn't one filled with worry.

24. idtwins

idtwins Member

ok, I got my first round of steroid shot today. It didnt hurt at all. Will be goin for round 2 tomorrow.

Thanks for the support ladies.