School Party Ideas

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by dtomecko, Nov 25, 2013.

1. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

Another mom and I are in charge of planning the Christmas party for my son's Kindergarten class.  I'm looking for ideas.  We need a game (class size is 27 kids, and we don't have a lot of space), a craft (I was thinking they could make some kind of ornament, but I still have to google for ideas), and we also have to plan lunch.  The teacher suggested hot dogs, but those school boiled hotdogs always look so gross to me.  I'm not sure of food allergies, I think one child is allergic to dairy.  Trying to keep it simple, and creativity and party planning is not my thing!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I saw an ornament-you can get them at michaels and the like...clear plastic and you put acrylic paint inside it, close it up, and kids shake it! Looks pretty cool. :)

Game? Pin the nose on Rudolph?

Lunch? Ya got me. I'm surprised you guys can have a party and everything that goes along with it! Well, more jealous I should say lol.

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For food what about mini bagels with cream cheese, butter and jelly.  As well a plain fruit salad.

We are always limited in our crafts because it has to be something for everyone so no santa.

I would probably do foam snowman.  You can trace the circle shapes on white foam, let the kids cut it out.  Have foam pieces in other colors to decorate the snowman.  Ribbon to hang on the back ( use self stick magnet so it could be either a magnet or a ornament) 

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I just bought some foam snowmen kit at Target in their Christmas section. Not sure how many come in each kit, but it has letters and decorations already in the kit. It was $5, so not expensive. I like the idea of putting the magnet on the back to make it an ornament. 

As for food, I'm lost. Maybe sandwiches? 

5. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bought a Pin the Nose on the Snowman at Walmart last year. Or a game of cold Snowball (hot potato)

Craft - snowman or mittens. (And pinterest for ideas, love that place)

6. dtomecko

Thanks for the ideas!  Keep 'em coming!

Oh, and my kids go to a Catholic school, which is why there are no party restrictions.

7. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

We always played Bingo with M&M's in holiday colors

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For food, we have always found the easiest thing is to have each parent kick in $2-$3 and then we, as the class parent, pick up a couple of pizzas and take them in for lunch.  Most kids like pizza (especially if it is plain cheese) and any kids who don't like it are warned ahead of time to bring in a sandwich or whatever.  

9. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

For games Minute to win it games are always a hit.  WE do about 5 stations and rotate the kids in groups around the room.

10. dtomecko

I decided to do those mini hotdogs wrapped in crescent rolls for lunch, with cheese sticks, veggie sticks and some fruit.

We kept the game simple with holiday bingo and we'll just use candy canes for prizes, and I found a cute nativity scene ornament on oriental trading company using the kids fingerprints.  

Seems simple enough, but it always feels like chaos once you're there.  Maybe because I'm an accountant, and not a teacher!  I hope it goes ok.

Thanks for the suggestions.  We have a couple more parties to plan this year, so I'll keep them in mind! 

what are minute to win it games? 

11. Chrissy Nelson

12. Chrissy Nelson

One thing I would like to add is that if you do treat bags is to make them the same for all kids.  The girls class has done boy bags and girl bags for the past 2 years and they do not go over well.  The boy bags always has fun stuff like slime, mustaches etc while the girls has headbands and bracelets.  It always causes hurt feelings.