School Transfer Approved

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by BellaRissa, Jun 24, 2010.

1. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

I bought my house because it was zoned for school A - a highly rated "Exemplary" school. After I bought the house a new school opened, School B- also "Exemplary" rated based on test scores. I went to K Roundup at both schools:

School A - kids sent to a K classroom with K teachers leading songs, reading a book, doing a craft & going to the cafeteria to have milk & cookies. The parents were in the library being told "your child will be cared for, nurtured & educated here. She will have music & computer everyday & PE 3 times a week. Try to teach your child to tie her shoes & fasten her clothing before school starts....but don't worry, we will be here to help. We will take calls from XXam-ZZ:30am every day, please call if you or your child needs anything. We are here to make sure your child has the best K year possible. You are encouraged to visit often & ask as many questions as you need.

School B - kids are running wild in the halls (mine were the wildest), parents trying to do tons of paperwork, and the office staff is shooting dirty looks over the chaos. Everyone is taken to the cafeteria for this message "your child needs to be prepared for K. If your child cannot tie her shoes, you will be called to come to school to tie them, if your child cannot open their thermos they will be going home hungry, make sure they can fasten their clothes - the teachers will not help & you will be called if pants are wet. We are teachers, not babysitters. From the nurse - teach your child to cleanse her wounds & apply bandaids over the summer, I am a RN - I don't do bandaids".

I went straight to the district office & put in a "futile" request for a transfer.....no one gets into the school I wanted. Apparently my plea was heard....the girls were approved to transfer from school B to school A.

Now....if I can only find a teaching job for the coming school year, all will be well in my house.

2. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

OH my, that sounds like an awful school. Yes they are to have some independance but, wow many are still FIVE, some are just five. That really is alot to expect. They had a three day rotation of Pe/music/library and only got to do computers towards the end of the year as a choice option (which I was totally okay with)but they still do not know how to tie their shoes (we are working on it but so many do not tie)They did however enjoy school this year, are reading well above where they are supposed to be and are well rounded little (almost) six year olds. Congrats on getting the transfer. I had a fifth grade teacher tht was like that (to an extent) wanted to teach us what we needed to be doing in college, very strict with behaviors. No one enjoyed that class.

3. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would definitely have gone for school A. If they can't provide reasonable activities for an informational meeting, I'd be real skeptical about day-to-day. And a school nurse that doesn't do band-aids, oh my.

Marissa

4. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

That's awesome Nikki!

5. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Gosh, school B sounds like Boot Camp. Glad the transfer was approved!

6. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Right? I'm an RN for grown ups and still apply a fair number of bandaids of one sort or another...sheez!

7. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out with the transfer. Hope the job does too! :)

8. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

Thanks! From your mouth to God's ear!

9. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Nikki, I am so glad you got into the school of your choice! I have to say, I would certainly want my kids at school A too! I would like to think for the years that I taught kinder, that was the message we conveyed to the parents at orientation.

My kids are starting kinder in the fall and they are still such babies to me. It makes me want a do-over teaching Kinder. I think now I would be a much more patient, sensitive teacher. I think how hard I pushed, pushed, pushed these little ones. (Granted, they needed it to some degree.) And really, they were learning to be self-sufficient on top of reading and writing. That alone is HUGE!

As for a teaching job, good luck! It truly is a rewarding job.