Scooters for birthday present?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 5280babies, Mar 7, 2012.

1. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Ahhh...girls are turning 3 on Saturday and I have to get them a couple presents. I was thinking about the scooters in the link below. We outgrew tricycles and I think we will hold off on bikes until the summer because we are still deciding balance bike or training wheel bike. We live near downtown Denver and have busy streets and not a lot of room. But, they just paved the sidewalk outside our house and I was thinking here is an activity we can do and they can't get away from me too fast. Thoughts or experiences on these?

My link

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Cute! I think they'd do great on those.

BTW, my girls' birthday is on Saturday too :)

3. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

We had an old 3 wheeled scooter from one of the older boys. The twins couldn't stand it. They only wanted a razor (2 wheeled) scooter. So they used their brothers' at 2. For us, the 3 wheeled versions would have been a waste of money. Those are super cute though! I love the pink!!

4. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

I think it's a great idea! My kids have scooters similar to those, with three wheels and they use them all the time. My daughter got hers last summer (just over 3) and my son got his for christmas (3.75 yrs). Luckily this winter was mild enough for them to ride them on almost a weekly basis. They ride them more than their bikes (the big wheel type). This year, at 4 (birthday in a few weeks!) we're going to try bikes with training wheels.

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We never got scooters, but I coveted those 3-wheel ones. One of my friends had one (as well as a hand-me-down Razor) for her son and said both of them preferred the 3-wheeler. The kid preferred it because it was more stable, and the mom preferred it because she wound up carrying it half the time, and it's much lighter and less likely to give her bruises on her shins!

I also think it's a smart idea to give them some type of wheels that will let them go a little fast, but not too fast. :ibiggrin: You can start working on obeying verbal commands, stopping/looking at driveways, etc. before they get to the bike stage!

6. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

All three of mine LOVE LOVE LOVE their scooters and they're the best money I've ever spent on a toy/play equipment. We got the Mini Kick by Kickboard USA from a reference on this board and I have been beyond pleased with them. Mine ride them every day and even ride them inside the garage and house when it's raining/cold. Zulily ran a special on them a while back and I bought a few for future 2-year-old b-day gifts. The one you have picked looks great too. Mine rarely ride their big wheel, tricycles, or balance bikes and just cruise around on their scooters. It's great for balance, and when they get better/older they learn how to lean to the side to steer it and they love that. The Mini Kick is remarkably stable and we've had very few (knock on wood) tumbles.

I hadn't thought of a Razor/2-wheeler, so I might try that for their 4th birthday :)

7. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My boys got the two wheeled kind for Christmas one year.. they were 3 1/2 maybe? Anyway, they have loved them from the minute they got them! They still ride them all the time. We got ones that have the extendable handles so they grow with them.

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Mini Kick as mentioned above. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y8DJ9W/?tag=mytwins02-20

Best thing we ever bought. Safer than tricycle or bike (has a brake) Super fun. Everywhere we go, kids want to try it and parents ask where to buy. I swear I could have a side business selling them. Our neighbors who have one like in the original link, never use it after trying ours, manueverability is so much better. Some think the wider standing board is more stable, but not so, the Mini Kick is turned like skiing - leaning your body so much less chance of injury.

We have had them since they were 2 and at 4.5 are still used most days.

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They'll love them I'm sure! My two oldest kids got razor's for christmas (2 wheeled ones), and the twins are constantly fighting to use them! We use ours in the house mostly, we live in the country with no paved roads around, but sometimes my daughter would take hers out and run up and down the driveway with it. She didn't roll far but it was far enough.

I'm going to get some for the twins soon, but we don't have the money right now ;)

10. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

Mini Kick Scooter fan here! They are the best, twins ride them everyday.
    The ones you have in mind we gave them at 2y(we sold them at 3+) and they actually never liked them as much as they like Mini Kick.

11. 5280babies

So glad I asked ladies - think I am going to do the Mini Kick Scooters! My girls are tiny so I think they will get use for many years. :) Wahoo!

12. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Eleanor and Ethan have Mini Kicks too, we love them. One word of warning though; once they get used to the scooters they will be able to go FAST! So make sure to practice stopping and waiting for you before they get really good at using them.

13. 5280babies

Thanks for that warning - I have one who listens to my every word, and one (the faster one) who is a speed demon. EEK! Thanks again!

14. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

My boys have mini kicks. They love them! Right now, the only fight they have over them is they both want the blue one, and I got a blue and green. At the time Green was Cameron's favorite color and blue was Kiefer's. Oh well. Can't win them all!