Screaming in the car

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by JoannaD, Feb 22, 2012.

1. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

One of my twins has really taken to screaming/whining in the car. The frustrating thing is that he goes from happy, laughing, clapping, to a high pitched scream/whine, then back to happy, laughing, etc over and over again. He's never really liked the car, but lately, its gotten worse. We thought he was getting carsick since he also threw up twice, so we flipped their seats to forward facing. That stopped the screaming for a while and no more throwing up, but now the screaming is worse than ever. I'm pretty sure he just wants attention and isn't happy with the amount of attention he's getting, especially since its worse at night when its dark. We sing, talk, I try to reach back to rub his feet (that works about half of the time), but other times, he just wants someone playing peekaboo, high fiving, holding his hand, etc- stuff we can't do while driving by ourselves. Sometimes turning up the music will calm him down. Any suggestions or just reassurance that this is a phase and too will pass? I get horrible headaches while driving some days.

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

What kind of music are you playing? It makes a HUGE difference for my kids what is on. For example, they love Laurie Berkner, and we also have a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse CD they love and a kids Bible songs one they really like. Maybe something different would help?

Also, what about a stuffed animal to hold or some other kind of small toy that is only for in the car? We keep a few things in reach in the car and pull them out when our boys get restless. We also talk constantly about what we see driving, getting them to look for things, etc.

Overall, I think it probably IS just a phase. We went through a short-lived phase of that, too, and it did pass eventually.

1 person likes this.
  3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I agreed its just a phase. My kids also love Laurie Berkner. But since their dad couldnt stand it and trained them with rock, country music, they are find now. They dont like the dark. So we leave the light on when driving sometimes. Do they have snack cups? Dvd player? Those could help.