Screaming when mommy leaves the room....

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Idttwinboys22310, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Idttwinboys22310

Idttwinboys22310 Active Member

My boys are 2.5 years old...they have done this for well I'd say since they turned 15 months old. All the time when I walk away, for the usual such as go to bathroom, flip the clothes to the dryer, take out the trash, go take a shower while my husband is home....they follow me screaming like they will never see me again. It makes me sad & is very frustraiting all at the same time. I thought for awhile that it was just a phase but they don't seem to be growing out of it. I wouldn't say everytime but at least 75~80% of the time. Please tell me someone else is going through this or has gone through this. Any & all thoughts or suggestions would be wonderful. & in advance thank u!

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of is to gradually move out of the room, talking to them as you go. Say stand around the corner and play peek-a-boo with them. Be gone for a short amount of time, a minute at first. It should reassure them that you are still there and will return. This might take a lot of patience. :hug:

2 people like this.
  3. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

My one DS did this for over 8 months starting around the age of 3. It was HORRIBLE. Anywhere I went in the house, he would freak out if he did not know where I was.

It was very frustrating and what I ended up doing was telling him where I was going: "I'm going upstairs to put the laundry away" or "I'm going in the bathroom, I'll be right back". During the day if he could not see me and would begin to scream, I would very casually (easier said than done) tell him "I'm upstairs".

It was hard on my now DH's and my relationship (we were dating at the time) because if my DS even seen him, he would begin to scream and only want me. We had been dating for quiet some time and neither of us could understand why he was acting this way.

Eventually it passed.

Try not to over react when they behave this way. My DS really played off of the way I responded. If I did not get frustrated or over sympathetic he seemed to get over my absence easier.

1 person likes this.
  4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The other two ladies gave some great advice, it's what I would try to do :)