Seizure Scare

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by eandelander, Jul 25, 2007.

1. eandelander

eandelander Well-Known Member

I just spent all Sunday night and all day Monday in the hospital with little Emma..... Sunday eveniong her dad was giving her a bottle and her arms and legs stiffened and she started shaking.... We called the Doc. and they had us take her to the ER.... She had some blood work taken and a ct done Sunday night... all the results came back normal sop that was great..... they monitored her all night and the seizure thing just went off once, but they are not sure if she jsut jerked in her sleep or if it was a small seizure..... anway they sleep deprived her and wouldn't let her have abottle for 6 hours so they could do an EEG (monitor her brain waves) she was terrified when they did that..... it was so sad... she had all these wires hooked to her head..... it took every ounce of self control not to make them stop and to keep myself from breaking down...... she cried so much. The results for that came back normal so that was great, but the Dr. said that even people who have epilepsy can have normal EEGs... if it happens again they are going to admit her for close monitoring to see if it happens again and determine what exactly is happening.....

Poor little thing is still worn out form it.....

Pray for our little Emma that this never happens again...... and poor sweet Elly..... she couldn't sleep that night...... Our girls don't sleep in the same crib, but DH said that she would not sleep in her own room... she sleep with her daddy almost like she knew something was wrong with her sister..... when we put them back together they both went for each other mouths open, almost like to say here's a kiss I missed you so much... it was cute...

2. takeluck

takeluck Well-Known Member

Oh, momma, I'm so sorry to hear about your little angel having a seizure. I've already said a little prayer that she would not have any more. Parenting is such an emotional rollercoaster, isn't it? Now we can finally understand when our parents told us that our medical procedures hurt them more than they hurt us. I hope they don't have to do any more invasive procedures.

Keep us posted.

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Frightening! I will pray that was a one time event and that your dd comes to no harm.

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

How scary! I hope it was just a one time thing. :hug99:

5. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

How very scary!! I hope it doesn't happen again, :hug99:

6. Tizzylish

Tizzylish Active Member

So sorry you had to go through a seizure. Our oldest daughter (now 3) got febrile seizures, anytime she gets a fever about 102, she would seize. Nothing can prepare you for watching your child go through that. I know how hard it is. And the EEG's are very tough too, they are not painful to the kids, but holding them down as they glue the electrodes to their little heads is awful. (We just did one on our daughter a few months ago and it was the first one that I didn't have a meltdown!)

Was your daugher running a temp? Perhaps that could be the case? We ended up putting our daugther on an antiseizure meds--it took lots of research and soul searching for us to make that decision, but after getting up to check on her in the middle of the night one time, only to find her having a seizure our decision was easier.

I just wanted to let you know I'm sorry and if I can help please let me know.
    -TL

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Oh man, my heart is breaking just reading about what she had to endure for the test! And it wamed with the welcome from her sister. They're amazing! HOpe it never happens again.

8. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

How scary! I'm glad she is doing better!

9. tracymcg

tracymcg Well-Known Member

Oh, you poor things! Unfortunately, I know *exactly* how you feel and have been through this with our little Ben. He had a seizure at 3mo (I actually thought it was apnea and called 911, because it was non-convulsive he just looked like he wasn't breathing). We went through the whole hospital thing too, and I know all too well how exhausting/terrifying/heartbreaking it is to see your perfect little angel have to endure all this.

After the first episode, he went home with us but was back in the hospital with another one about 2 weeks later. In our case it took over 24 hours on EEG for them pinpoint another seizure, but with it (plus MRI) they were able to identify the focus. He has been on anti-seizure med and has had absolutely nothing since and no side effects! They will begin to phase him off around 18mo. if he has no reoccurance.

I truly hope and pray that your little one never experiences this again. However, just a few comforting thoughts in the very rare case that she does. *Many* infants who have seizures outgrow them. In fact, the highest chance of seizure activity is in the first 18mo of life. She does not experience any pain, and typically is not in any danger. It's much more terrifying for you than for her. Ben is beautiful, thriving and totally developmentally on track, so if it is epilepsy don't let the stigma scare you! I've learned A LOT about infant neurology and seizure in the last 5 months, so please feel free to message me if you'd like to talk or want more info. :hug99:

1 person likes this.