Sending one and not the other

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ldrane, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

DD had a small accident, had surgery and is in a cast. Anyways, I can't send her to MDO this week and am not sure when she will be able to return. I called them this morning and filled them in on what is going on and told them I would keep them posted as when 'they' would return. The director was really trying to encourage me to send DS even though DD couldn't attend. Since she can't go to school....that means I have to stay home with her and/or get my mom to stay with her. I didn't really see the point in sending DS since I will be home anyways and/or my mom will be here. Also, when I brought it up to DS about going, he says he doesn't want to go that he will miss his sister. So, what would you do? Would you make him go or just let him stay home? It is just MDO not school. So, I don't think it is a big deal for him to miss other than the fact that we have already paid for them to be there.

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

:( I'm so sorry about her accident!

I would leave it up to him. If he doesn't want to go then I wouldn't force him but I would make sure he knew it was an option and that he can change his mind next week.

I hope she has a speedy recovery!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For me, if it wasn't the issue of getting one there, (i.e. dressed, in the car, over to the place) I'd send one off and keep the other at home. I always send the other off to daycare when I stay home with a sick kid because my husband can easily drop the other one off at daycare. But when it's his turn to stay home with a sicky, both kids stay home with him because I'm not around to take them to daycare. So it's a convenience thing for me (plus I've already paid for daycare and it makes me grumpy to lose money like that.)

4. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

I would send one. It gives him time with his friends, some time as just him. It also gives you some time with just your dd. Of course it means you should find some time for just DS but, that time is so rare (at least at our house) and the dynamics are so different when it is just one of them. I love the opportunity to spend time with only one of them. Also, as they get into school that time seems to become even less.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If it was preschool, I would send DS. But since it's just MDO, I would let him decide if he wanted to go alone or not.

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

This. It is rare, but when one twin goes to Preschool and the other stays home sick- it is nice for the change and one on one time. It is also nice for the twin at school to kind of have some 'single' time as well.

Also, I had one twin that had a Dr a appoint a few times, it is SO MUCH easier w/ one. Plus the twin got to do a solo shopping trip as a treat for good Dr behavior.

Hope she recovers quickly!!

7. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Getting him there is a problem in itself. I would have to be the one to take him. That means I would have to take DD with me. Unload them both when we got there, carry her in with me, drop him off, and then tantrum would probably ensue when he realized he was staying and she wasn't. Doesn't really seem worth it to me.....

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, see, that is the deal breaker for me too. It just isn't worth the hassle sometimes of getting them completely dressed, down to hat, scarves, mittens, jackets, putting them in the car, taking them both out, the whining when one stays and the other doesn't, then coming back, and then having to do it all again in the reverse order for pickup.

9. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I would just have a lovely day at home with both. I hope DD recovers quickly!

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I do the same as Bex. If DH can take the well child, I send him or her in. If not, they both stay home. I do think there is something to be said about maintaining routine, but sometimes it is too much of a hassle.

1 person likes this.