Separate Sacs Same Placenta

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by youkath, Jun 26, 2010.

1. youkath

youkath New Member

I just found out at 18 weeks that I have two babies girls in separate sacs and they are sharing one placenta. Some people have told me that I really should be checked out every two weeks to make sure fluid and growth is good. Then people who have never had twins tell me to trust the doctors. I was just wondering how close others ultra sounds were set together.

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

One Placenta and Separate sacs is also known as Mono-Di twins. My girls were also mono-di. I had biweekly appt's until I was 24 weeks, and that is when I would have started weekly appt's had I not been admitted to the hospital for bedrest. Different doctors have different protocols though, so it is definitely worth discussing it with him/her. Good Luck!

3. Chrijodo

Chrijodo Well-Known Member

I'm currently 27 weeks with Mono/Di girls. I am seen weekly. I would suggest talking with you doctor if you don't feel comfortable being seen every 2 weeks. Generally they like to monitor Mono/Di twins more closely because of the risk of complications.

Congratulations on your daughters!

4. jennybean41506

jennybean41506 Well-Known Member

mono di twin girls here i am 20 weeks pregnant and i have an ultrasound every 2 weeks

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

congrats on your girls!

i also had mono-di girls & had u/s every two weeks.

6. scottyswifey

scottyswifey Well-Known Member

I am 23 weeks with mono-di girls and they have me going in every 2 weeks.
    Congrats on your girls!

7. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I had mon/di boys and I had one every 2 weeks.

8. youkath

youkath New Member

You guys are being really helpful. You are all saying the same thing. I guess I will be calling my doctor on Monday.

9. jennybean41506

jennybean41506 Well-Known Member

its because of this thing called TTTS which stands for twin to twin transfusion. One twin gives the other twin fluid and the donor does not grow the way it is supposed too. Look it up on the TTTS website or the march of dimes they all say you need one at least every 2 weeks because of the types of twins they are.

10. shrimpsey

shrimpsey Member

I see my OB every 2 weeks, he does a quick scan right in his office, and I have a growth scan every 4 weeks. NOt sure when I switch to weekly appts, but I think around 28 weeks. I am also having mono/di girls.

11. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

I started seeing the doctor weekly at around 19 weeks to check fluid, and have a growth scan every 2 weeks. They were concerned at that point, however, because of size discrepancy and my Baby B being very small, they diagnosed him with IUGR and wanted to keep an eye out for potential TTTS. Fortunately, TTTS never presented, and at this point I've been told it's pretty unlikely since I've gone this far without other symptoms. Both of my babies continue to grow on their own curve, and even though Baby B is still small, he is growing and has passed two biophysical profile tests with perfect scores.

12. mikeyswife1999

mikeyswife1999 Well-Known Member

My girls were mono/di and I had u/s every 3 weeks to monitor their growth/fluid, etc. We never had any problems but I suspect if we started to that the peri would have had me come in more often.

13. gyzmotwins

gyzmotwins Well-Known Member

I had Mo/Mo twins, although they were misdiagnosed as mono/di ( we only found out at birth they were mo/mo)... I remember going for an U.S. every 2 weeks and at 30 weeks every week. The dangerous thing about this type of twins is TTTS... I would talk to your doctor if your uncomfortable in any way.. better to be safe than sorry