Separation anxiety come back?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MrsWright, Feb 10, 2014.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids were never bad in this area. Sure they cried some with drop offs to daycare but overall they were fine. Until lately, all they do is ask their teachers when I'm going to be there to pick them up. My nephew (same age) is going through same thing only worse! My sister actually had to call her house phone with her cell so he could talk to her while she ran in to get their pjs before coming over. He also was crying when we really hid good during hide and seek even with my dh encouraging him to find her and that she was in the house.
    Anyone deal with this?

2. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

Last year, during K, my one girl was always saying she missed me. I ended up drawing a heart in her hand, kissing it, and sending her on her way. That way, when she missed me, she could look at the heart and know I love her.

Hopefully it's just a phase that will pass soon!

3. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

My friend's daughter was just fine at preschool for about six months (started when she was 4), then overnight seemed to lose all her social skills and would not do anything but follow her teacher around all day looking sad.  She was back to normal a few months later.

My two did not have a separation problem but they did like me to walk them to class in K and put about 20 air kisses in their pockets.  They would take them during the day and hold them when they needed to.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it's the transition.  I've heard this from quite a few parents with kids in kindergarten.  My two were not bad, but early in the school year they did frequently mention how much they missed me.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Did you have a lot of snow days prolonging the disruption of normal routines after the winter break? Maybe they are having a hard time finding back into their routines, especially if the weather keeps disrupting their getting used to school routines again.

Our pre-school has a special window where all the kids can go and wave to their parent after being dropped off and checked into their classrooms. It gets a lot of use by all age groups. DS needs me to wave and blow kisses to him every day, DD has started coming to the window again recently - the last time she did this was when they started pre-school 1.5 years ago. So I think these things go in phases.

6. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

My two have always had seperation problems.  They have been at the same school since 5 months of age and still have trouble.  They are now 5 and any disruption to their schedule or extra time at home results in seperation issues coming up again.  I bought a book called The Invisible String.  We've read it a million times (happens to be about twins) and it seems to help and we discuss it.   In addition my two are very interested in telling time so before I drop them off I tell them about what time I will pick them up (I have explained that this is the time they can start watching for me knowing I will be there around this time not exactly at this time).  When I drop them off we look at the clock and they tell me where the little hand and big hand will be when its about time for me to pick them up.  It seems to help on days when they are having problems. 

7. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Glad to know were not alone. They are not in K yet (don't rush me!!;)) this is at daycare/preschool that they've been at since 3 months old which I why I found it odd but I guess it seems pretty normal:)

8. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

[SIZE=medium]Two very good books to read to them are The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn and No Matter What by Debi Gliori.  It reassures kids that we love them even if they are not with us and does not matter what they do we keep on loving them. I still kiss my kids in their hands when dropping them off at school. [/SIZE]