Severe Edema in Hands

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by babs0004, Jun 10, 2010.

1. babs0004

babs0004 Well-Known Member

Hi - I'm about 31.5 weeks pregnant and have had edema in my hands since about the 24th week. It has progressively gotten worse and even wearing the carpal tunnel wrist stabilizers recommended by my OB aren't helping anymore. It hurts to even bend my fingers - becoming unbearable. I feel like I have arthiritis in my hands. Has anyone found any solutions? I've heard that eating bananasa for the potassium may help. I only have 5.5 weeks until my c-section, but sometimes the aches and pains associated with this pregnancy are unbearable. I'm having trouble keeping up with all the ailments (back, feet, kneews, hands, etc.) thanks~

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can try a pregnancy massage. If you go often enough to get the water out (say once or twice a week right now) then you should be able to taper off to every 2nd or 3rd week. Your insurance may cover medical massage as well. I'm sorry you are super uncomfortable- twin summer pregnancy stinks. :angry:

3. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

This was the worst preggo symptom for me and mine got even worse after I delivered! I used to soak my hands in ice water. I could barely hold my girls or nurse them In the hospital. I still have a hard time writing now. My girls are over 2 weeks old now and it's just now getting better. I still wear the braces at night. My ob told me to avoid all sports drinks like Gatorade etc and just drink water and wear the braces. She said some women will have permanent damage and have to have the surgery. It's so painful and annoying!

4. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

Did he/she say why? I have found myself drinking a lot of G2 Gatorade (the lower sugar one) because I don't like the plain taste of water. Maybe this is why my carpel tunnel / edema has been acting worse lately.

5. tracilynn

tracilynn Well-Known Member

I never asked. I just assumed that sports drinks are made to hydrate so they probably cause your body to hold on to extra fluids.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

And they have sodium which increases swelling.

7. babs0004

babs0004 Well-Known Member

"She said some women will have permanent damage and have to have the surgery. It's so painful and annoying! "

How awful! I didn't know it could be permanent. I also didn't realize it wouldn't recede a day or two after delivery. Thanks for giving me a 'heads up' on this. I am drinking water - but I guess I need to increase my intake. I've also done the bowl of ice water - not much relief and doesn't last longer than a few minutes.

Thanks!

8. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

Yep it can be permanent unfortunately. And the surgery is not a complete fix it is only a temporary solution. I had the surgery on my left hand 11 yrs ago, after my 1st pregnancy. My right hand was done 8 yrs ago after my 2nd baby. I actually need it done on both hands again but fortunately my twin pregnancy and this current pregnancy haven't made it any worse. The swelling compresses a nerve, the swelling going down doesn't necssarily "undo" the compression. Repetitive movement doesn't help either so changing baby, fixing bottles and snapping those tiny little snaps can keep aggravating it. None of this is to say that it can't or won't go away, just that it isn't always instant.

9. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Decrease you sodium. No KFC chicken. The potasium would help for sure. It allows the water to enter the cells and works the opposite to the sodium.

Heather