Sharing a room

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by mnellson, Sep 11, 2009.

1. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

Looking for tips on how to give the girls some persoanl space in their bedroom. Where do your kids put their own stuff? Any ideas on how to set up the room? Do your kids have thier own side? Right now they choose to share a queen sized bed, and have one long dresser and one tall bureau. The only thing that's their own is they each have an end table. There's not much room for anythng else in there.

2. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well, my 2 that share a room are younger, 3 and 4. They have no personal space at the moment, but then again they don't have many things that belong only to them. In their room is a dresser, bookshelf, toy bins, and a bunk bed. The only thing that's "theirs" is their laundry hamper because I was the girls' clothes individually. They each have 3 drawers in the dresser and a shelf (it's a small armoire) for their PJs.

The closet has 2 rods for hanging; one has the top and the other the bottom. Neither can reach the top rod, so that might change when I bring out the winter clothes because they can both dress themselves now.

Not sure what I'll do when they get bigger, you bring up some good questions.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boys have twin beds with drawers underneath and a headboard that has cubbie holes. I bought those on purpose to give them some personal space and that is what they use.

4. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

Until Andrea went to college, all three of them shared a little tiny room. It currently has two sets of bunk beds with a path between (that's the entire size of the room 2 beds and a 3 ft path). There is one dresser that up until this summer has been Andrea's. Basically there is not much else for space. I keep H and C's clothes in the basement out of necessity.

We are planning some major room changes for them. Andrea's bunks are going away. This will give them lots of extra space. So much so that Cassie commented, then we can bring our clothes up here and get dressed in our own room! Yeah its a much needed change. We converted their closet to a desk, back when Andrea had the room to herself. She wasn't using it as a closet anyway. The girls are looking at ways to make it their own now. They want it to become a homework area.

To answer your question about personal space, we dont' have any. The girls share the entire space. I have tried to give each a special box/drawer set but they share them anyway.

5. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

We have bunk beds that are unbunked. They each have a small three-drawer dresser from IKEA. And laundry basket and that's it. They asserted ownership of clothes a while ago, so we label with their initial (another reason not to give twins names that start with the same letter ;) ).

Molly, we were worried about space for sleepovers or visiting family, so we got a trundle bed to go under the bunks. It's a great option if you can find one.

6. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

My twins share a room and each have a low loft bed. It is great & there is lots of space under each bed.

7. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Nope, no personal space. Their bedroom is small. They have bunked beds, and they share a toy box, bookshelf, closet, and two dressers (one is mainly storage). They tend to wear each other's clothes anyway and share toys and books, so it's not really an issue. At first when we bunked their beds, they even traded places in those every night, but now they've settled on having their own bed.

8. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

That's cute!

I ended up getting them each a bookshelf and a bin to put all of theie stuffed animals in. They're very happy. Thankfull, my girls are easy to please! Alos, they're so grateful! Brynne must have said "THANKS, MAMA!" 100 times since yesterday! :wub: