Sharing between twins

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by flygirlcdh, Oct 16, 2009.

1. flygirlcdh

flygirlcdh Well-Known Member

Does anyone let their twins share things? Like pacifier, bottles, spoons or sippies? I've seen on tv shows where they will make one bowl of cereal and feed to both babies with the same spoon. I tend to let them share a lot but some people act like it's the worst thing. So now I'm wondering if I'm the only one... I never saw the huge harm in it unless one seems to be getting sick and then I make sure to keep separate. (Mine are only almost 4 months old.)

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Mine have shared everything since they shared a crib in the NICU! They would finish off each others bottles, share pacis, share spoons, sippies, you name it! They stick their fingers in each others mouths, why make more work for me if they are already sharing germs?

1 person likes this.
  3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm with Meg. The only time we separated them was when one was sick and the other hadn't caught it yet. To this day, they still eat off of each other's fingers and off of each other's silverware and each other's food.

4. flygirlcdh

flygirlcdh Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear this. I was hoping I wasn't an idiot for thinking they shared a womb how bad could a bottle be. Even the doctor at the two month appt. asked "is this his pacifier? O I'm sure it doesn't matter you probably just pick one up at home and give no matter whose it is." and laughed. But then people will ask who's bottle is this and I say it doesn't really matter they give me a weird look. Thanks for making me feel better.

5. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I am also in the "Meg" camp on this one...

6. twinbears

twinbears Well-Known Member

I nursed and they shared the same boob so I was pretty okay with them sharing a spoon too. :laughing: Not to mention when one is screaming his head off and you only have one pacifier and it is the middle of the night you are not going to care who had it first.

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I ditto megan too. They share everything, and I'm sure they will share sickness's too when they get older! :p

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Share everything!

9. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

Mine share everything and I'm not even sure how I would stop it! :) Whatever toy the other is playing with is the most interesting toy, the other's bottle always looks tastier...

10. MelinaS79

MelinaS79 Well-Known Member

We used to care who had who's stuff. Bottles, pacis, toys, etc. Now? If Brandon has a pink binkie and Katelyn has a blue one, Oh well. The only thing I don't do are spoons. That just grosses me out, I know I'm making more work for myself but ... eww. LOL! I'm so weird about stuff like that, I don't even eat off of DH's fork when we're eating out and he offers me a bite of something of his. I put it on my own plate and eat it with my own fork even though I KNOW he just picked it up off his plate with HIS fork. Irrational. I know. ;)

11. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Initially we tried to keep everything separate. When they used 4 oz dr browns bottles I labeled one set of bottles with a B and one set with a C. But there for a while they were on different formula. When we switched to playtex ventaire bottle "big boy Brandon" got the 9 oz set and Colin got the 7 oz set of bottles. As for pacis we use the green Soothies and we would snip the corner off of some to indicate the were Colin's. Then we recently started feeding them solids and I said screw using 2 different spoons and bowls, LOL. And I don't really pay any attention to who is sucking on which paci. I'm doing good just to make sure there is no cat hair on it :)

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did the same as Megan, they pretty much shared everything (still do).

13. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

Mine share everything also, pacis, bottles, bowls of food, you name it[​IMG] life's busy enough for me as it is[​IMG]

14. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two have always shared absolutely everything... spoons, cups, toys, blankets, pillows, everything but toothbrushes. As close as they are, I don't think I can keep one from being exposed if the other is sick anyway.

15. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

LOL we try to keep their things seperate and Drs will tell you to keep them seperate when they are sick, etc.... but as you get older keeping their things seperate doesn't seem to work at all.

OUr boys have been sick almost constantly since their daycare, (at least 12+viruses) :( and keeping their things seperate only kept a virus at bay- once.

So no, It's not the worst thing in the world. We might try keeping things seprate when ours get a little older.... but for now we couldn't if they tried. They are constantly grabbing each-other sippies, soons, pacifiers, etc.... (in fact, we got a real cute picture we got of such a thing happening...- one twin grabbing the other twin's paci which was cli[pped to his shirt).

I think any parent of kids the same age has run across this.... when they are little, you can't keep their things seperate. Older, maybe.

16. lovemytwinsx2

lovemytwinsx2 Well-Known Member

The only thing my boys share that i can not stop are their toys....I've never had them share spoons or bowls or bottles while feeding, or even toothbrushes, guess i was always worried about them sharing germs and getting sick....but now that i see everyone else shares and has not issues with it, hmmm i may have to change somethings...LOL...

17. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup! My boys shared everything as well! Pacifiers we could never keep track of, as well as bottle nipples. However, they got thrush when they were infants, so that's when we had to color code things. Nicholas was green-pacifiers/nipples and Anthony was blue-pacifiers/nipples. As for utensils-I feed them from the same spoon(sometimes I feed them applesauce/yogurt). Otherwise-they use their own utensils.

And the blue/green thing has stuck! One has green sippy cup, the other blue. Same thing with plates. If I have a yellow plate and a blue plate and I give Nicholas the blue plate, he'll go, "NO! ToTo(Anthony)! Too funny!

And personally, I'd rather they be sick at the same time, then to be sick back to back for weeks!

18. StaceeyL

StaceeyL Well-Known Member

I asked my ped on the first doctor visit about them sharing things and his response was "do you shower between breastfeeding?" They are going to share everything. It's not a big deal to me.

19. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

:lol:

20. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Everything was shared since the beginning. If the other is going to get sick they are going to get sick. They sleep together, kiss, and drink/eat after each other. so :pardon: . If I take one to the dr sick I take the other one too cause more often than not both are sick. Just this week we took Jessy in by herself crazily monday and she had a double ear infection and a uti (and possibly the flu) then we ended dragging Jazz to the dr on thursday with a sinus infection. Should have just gotten it over with on Monday

21. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

Same here as everyone else. They share! I actually noticed one day when I was feeding them their cereal that I was scraping the leftovers off of Sarah's mouth and feeding them to Rachael and vice versa (without thinking). I thought that was pretty funny!

shannon

22. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

Omg, most days it seems like ALL I do all day is prep to feed, feed, and clean up after feeding people. Adding an another set of everything (and switching between sets when feeding) would pretty much occupy the tiny blocks of free time left that I've managed to reserve for peeing.

Share away, kids!!! ;)
    Eve

23. vyckie72

vyckie72 Well-Known Member

My boys share just about everything. I feed them from the same spoon and jar of food, alot of times I forget whose bottle is whose or one of them didn't finish their bottle and the other one is still hungry so I will let the other finish the bottle. Things like that.