Sharing same room

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by KristaJ, Apr 2, 2011.

1. KristaJ

KristaJ New Member

Hi ladies...

Our twin preemies have been in separate rooms since they were about 6 months old. They are going to be 3 in June and we want to put them back in the same room (one of them has been sleeping in a crib in our room and we want our room back!! LOL).

Any thoughts or suggestions? They are both noisy sleepers and I'm worried they will wake each other and then none of us will get any sleep. Does anybody use a soundproof room divider? We are moving to a bigger house in the next 4-5 months so they will both have their own rooms.

Thanks for your advise!! Sometimes I wonder if we should just leave them where they are until we move.

2. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted just to leave them there if you are moving soon. They might think it is party time at bedtime and you may have trouble for a while so if it is only for a few months I'd leave it.

3. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

We moved when ours were 3. They had been in our room since birth. We used the move as an opportunity to switch to their new room. It was surely easier that way.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd suck it up for the next 5 months too, and you'll save yourself the trouble of having to get them used to new sleeping arrangements twice.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree. I would probably leave them until you move, then put them together. They will be having to make adjustments at that point anyway, so I think it would be easier.

6. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

what about at least starting by putting the one in your room back into the shared room once both are asleep. for us it's pretty easy to move a sleeping baby... (we wake to go pee at 11p and they go back to sleep easily...)

that might give you a chance to see if it would work... if it does take them a while to go to sleep, then being together trying to sleep will just delay sleep... ugh! in that case, it seems easier to just wait.

7. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

Are they still napping? When mine were 3 and still napping (not so long ago ... they only dropped naps maybe 3 mos ago) and in the same room ... nighttime sleep ... sucked! They partied and fussed and partied some more ... we split them because of it. Now that they aren't napping they are SO tired at night that they crash (they both have double beds and sometimes we find them in the same bed) whether they are together or separate. I would wait for the move ... as much as it stinks. I agree with pp ... to move one while he/she is sleeping may be a good option ... OR ... on the other hand ... you could always cold-turkey try it and if it goes, it goes and if it doesn't then split them up again ... they are old enough to understand consequences ... you fuss and carry on ... you get split up. I have friends whose twins still share a room at 3.5 and they never plan to split them so I know it can work. Hey, if they love it ... then hello home office or guest room ;)